Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ want patient involvement for better research: Research is the future

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Simon, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    BMJ calls for patient involvement to cut down on dodgy research practices and unreliable findings.

BMJ Editor's choice

Research is the future: get involved | The BMJ
    Fiona Godlee

They focus on a particular study, first targeted by a journalist who'd spotted that long-term follow-up results hadn't been published. When they eventualluy were, the authors claimed success, but critiques in other journals disagreed:
    The editorial looks at various ways of raising standards, but puts most emphasis on patient involvement:
    The editorial points out that in response to the now-obligatory reporting in submissions to the BMJ of patient involvement as partners in research, the most common entry is, effectivey, "none".
    read the full editorial (open access): Research is the future: get involved | The BMJ

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Woolie, lycaena, snowathlete and 10 others like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    When (not if) will we read an article like this about PACE?

mango, MEDad, lycaena and 4 others like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    How remarkably familiar. (Except, of course, so far only patients have spotted the errors in the reporting of the long term PACE data. Hopefully that will change over time.)

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I find this stuff pretty nauseating from the BMJ, considering the way that they've dealt with CFS.

Woolie, biophile, halcyon and 6 others like this.
  5. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

It's starting to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you turn.

The Internet can be a wonderful thing. Unfathomable access to information; intelligent, educated people publicly critiquing the "science" of others; and patients speaking up to say that the dogma doesn't match up with their experience all add up to previously unheard of accountability, and a giant win for patients.

Ho-ho-ho, merry Christmas!

Lyratic likes this.
  6. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

"we hope that at some time in the future only research in which patients have been fully involved will be considered acceptable."
    It's almost certain they'll find a reason to make an exception in the case of ME/CFS.

Woolie, Sean, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  7. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Given the coming onslaught of physiological evidence of ME/CFS, it won't last long. And then we will all make sure to expose the social injustice caused by the BPS paradigm and leverage the injustice to produce the needed changes.

8. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

The article seems to be a lot of unconnected ideas tacked together. First it is about a journalist pointing out that there was no follow up. Then it talks about clinicians being involved in research - whatever that is supposed to mean. Then it jumps to patients being involved - without giving any reasons. Good research is about good evidence. There does not seem to be any use of evidence in this article at all. Sorry, but this looks like a PC propaganda piece of the sort one most often sees in the context of bad research. I am disappointed but not surprised. Some PR members produced quite a good review (I thought) on ME/CFS for the BMJ focussed on patient involvement and it was considered not new enough. BMJ has produced stony silence in the face of the PACE fiasco. Nul points I am afraid.

Sean, Aurator, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Every year, the BMJ do a special Xmas edition with humorous articles. :cool:

SOC, Never Give Up and Valentijn like this.
  10. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    It will. It should. We are not there yet.

Sean likes this.
  11. SOC

SOC

I think you're correct, I'm just not sure it's going to happen in my lifetime or that of the perpetrators of this horrific injustice. Maybe I'm just cynical today, but I suspect this will mostly be swept under the rug until it becomes something awful that happened in the past for which no one can be held accountable.

I honestly hope I'm wrong.

Woolie and Aurator like this.

See more popular forum discussions.