1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 1 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. Part 1 of a 2-part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS. Part 1 focuses...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ: US Editors Choice: Getting clinical guidelines right

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Especially interesting, perhaps, given the current climate:
    jspotila, Esther12, Bob and 2 others like this.
  2. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Wow - look at the red flags identified in that paper that are present in the IOM's GWI panel (my bold), and those are only the ones that I know of:

Box 1: Red flags that should raise substantial skepticism among guideline readers (and medical journals)

• Sponsor(s) is a professional society that receives substantial industry funding;
    • Sponsor is a proprietary company, or is undeclared or hidden
    • Committee chair(s) have any financial conflict*
    • Multiple panel members have any financial conflict*
    • Any suggestion of committee stacking that would pre-ordain a recommendation regarding a controversial topic
    • No or limited involvement of an expert in methodology in the evaluation of evidence
    • No external review
    • No inclusion of non-physician experts/patient representative/community stakeholders
    Nielk, medfeb - interesting, and the IOM is cited in that paper as being big on good process for guidelines (!).
    jspotila, Valentijn, Bob and 4 others like this.
  3. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I guess one of my concerns with this will be that GET and CBT are 'scientifically sound' according to their proponents who are - unfortunately - listened to; and until something better comes along with the 'same rigour' behind it - we could be stuck in the US right where we are in the UK with 'management strategies' for ME. But, I think it also gives accord to the need for consultation before guidelines are published - though I haven't read the paper it alludes to - and this would include (I sincerely hope) disease experts, healthcare experts, patients and patient representatives.

Really crappy night. So I'm not doing anything more today... except trying to :sleep:
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
  5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Sasha

I think this is a key point to push with the HHS/IOM and may well gain more traction.
    Sasha likes this.
  6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Thanks - I'll tag it for Neilk and medfeb.
    Nielk likes this.
  7. medfeb

medfeb Senior Member

Thanks for the heads up on that, Sasha
    Sasha likes this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Firestormm likes this.
  9. Desdinova

Desdinova Senior Member

USA
    So what Group(s) or Organization(s) does Weasle & Whitewash and those belonging to their school of thought belong to? Because I'll bet a dollar to a donut that they'll try to insert themselves Professionaly into the development process of said proposed group and guidelines it uses.
  10. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

Guido den Broeder and Sasha like this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    No problem Jennie. I might actually find the time to read it myself soon :D
  12. Guido den Broeder

Guido den Broeder *****

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
    Interesting article. If I count right,, the Dutch guideline on CFS (CBO, 2013) scores 8 out of 8 red flags.

But evidence-based guidelines, defined as is, remain primitive no matter what. We need model-based guidelines.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.