1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ Rapid Response: Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome a meme? 18 June 2014

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    It's a bit weird that response from Ellen now I have read it. Ah well. I guess it makes the points... strange though..
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I dunno, I thought it was pretty spot on :p
    lastgasp, Min, Scarecrow and 3 others like this.
  3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Didn't Ris Weasel say the self employed don't get it because they can not afford to?
    lastgasp and Min like this.
  4. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

Yeah and when doctors or psychologists become ill they don't do CBT either.

The psychobabblers have nothing to fear if it's really mind over matter as they can control their immune system with their all powerful positive thoughts that will kill pathogens more efficiently than high dose radiation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8050655/ME-patients-banned-from-giving-blood.html
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...nic-fatigue-syndrome-from-donating-blood.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/192814.php

Strange that the mainstream media and health officials seem to love to spread the it's all in your mind ideas but get scared when their own health is at risk.

The have nothing to fear, even when they get infected they can still do some CBT and GET.
    Min, Valentijn and Indigophoton like this.
  5. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    In what way do you find it weird?
  6. Leopardtail

England
    mmmm..... doesn't one call that 'faith healing' ??
  7. Leopardtail

England
    I must have another disease then 'ME self employed variant' since I was self employed both in the run up to ME and for many years with it.
    lastgasp, Min, Sean and 5 others like this.
  8. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Same here.
    Min, Sean, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  9. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

yes.

faith healing is something that medicine considers to be ineffective and unscientific strangely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_healing

Min likes this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

It has finally gone up: http://www.bmj.com/content/329/7472/928/rr/703896 :thumbsup:
    Bob, Sasha, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Susan Agardy's Rapid Response now published: http://www.bmj.com/content/329/7472/928/rr/703896

catly likes this.
  12. Ninan

Ninan Senior Member

We're part of a long and glorious tradition here. Supposedly Marcel Proust, who spent half his life in bed due to asthma, had a doctor who claimed his condition was psychological. That should explain why most the doctors in Proust's novels seem to be pretentious assholes.

I'd say this meme-person isn't totally out on a ride with his bike (as we say in Sweden :rolleyes:), though he got most of it wrong. We do influence each other. When I finally realized what it was I had, from an article about a woman who was housebound, I got a bad scare which made me permanently worse. :eek: I had just gotten a new job (which I loved) and was kind of in limbo financially and the diagnose sure didn't help. Though of course I'm glad I know what's wrong with me.

Finding out I had ME didn't cause my symptoms, they'd been there and made me housebound from time to time ever since I got an ear infection three years and five months earlier. But it did make them worse. It all fits nicely into the biomedical picture, though. Stress makes us worse and finding out you have an debilitating illness which most doctors don't even believe exist and for which there is no cure and virtually no help from society is pretty stressful. Many of us wouldn't get as sick if we didn't have to fight so hard to get the help we need.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Leopardtail likes this.
  13. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I'm a teenager again at last! I actually like Viz, which is a cartoon comic and is sometimes very funny. It was a great tonic to me when I was seriously ill in hospital. The Sport is another matter - is indeed claimed to be a newspaper but no one with a brain would recognise it as such.
    Leopardtail likes this.
  14. Leopardtail

England
    LOL, glad it brought you some mirth
  15. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Have they decided that any problem to do with this is all patients fault yet? When's that going to happen?
  16. Leopardtail

England
    sorry not understanding you Esther!
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Wasn't there some talk of some sort of 'review' related to this? I was just assuming that any concern the Essex CFS clinic may have felt will soon turn around to irritation at the foolish Cartesian dualism which led to patients failing to appreciate the value of the interesting hypothesis developed by their staff.
    Valentijn and Leopardtail like this.
  18. worldbackwards

worldbackwards

Can't say I've waded through all nineteen pages of this, so I don't know if this is covered, but I can't help wonder what the authors expected to get out of this? Was it a kind of pledging allegiance to the the colours, but in such a way that they thought it would go under the radar, in the way that insulting stuff about ME never gets picked up on by the community or anything : )
    Cheshire likes this.
  19. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    The same perverse pleasure that trolls get when they provoke reactions on internet forums. ;)
    Valentijn likes this.
  20. worldbackwards

worldbackwards

Would that be a dig? Because I didn't take any pleasure from any of that, and I did apologize (which was accepted). I'm just a bit rusty at speaking to people. You might know how it is.

See more popular forum discussions.