1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ Rapid Response: Is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome a meme? 18 June 2014

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Firestormm, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    This is a recent response to an editorial originally written in 2004 by Prof. Peter White. Brace yourselves:

Esther12, Valentijn and barbc56 like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

It is a good thing I haven't had lunch yet. This is appalling!
    It is good that you brought it to our attention Firestorm but terrifying to read.

Wonko, horcrux, ahmo and 6 others like this.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This is written by someone from Essex CFS service? Holy s**t.

merylg, vli, leela and 5 others like this.
  4. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Oh Dear...where to begin.

What I can't understand is how views such as this one and the views of Klimas, Komaroff, Montoya, De Meirleir, Myhill, Chia etc can coexist.

merylg, Ninan, leela and 4 others like this.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    No doubt all the women in this person's life have their menses synced.
    ;) ... X

horcrux, alisonorr, soofke and 5 others like this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

Sigh. :p

Barb

merylg, snowathlete and alisonorr like this.
  7. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

I think this attitude is more common in Europe than it is in the US. I would call it preaching to the choir, in that Collings is just reinforcing the NHS' position, without actually evaluating evidence for or against.

Any modern critic of CFS as a physiological condition has to contend with research showing the abnormalities we're all aware of. Admittedly, most of the new studies have not been replicated--yet--but they are coming from mainstream scientists, not internet wackos.

horcrux, merylg, alisonorr and 8 others like this.
  8. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA

(Clears throat; speaks in best Churchillian voice)

I should like to express my deepest appreciation to the authors for reinvigorating my enthusiasm and inspiring me to continue with advocacy for the downtrodden patients and their families and supporters. We shall never surrender!

Ninan, horcrux, ahmo and 20 others like this.
  9. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I wonder if there's any value in making sure our supportive media sources see this so they can use it as an example of the ignorance, bigotry, and outright cruelty PWME face every day.

merylg, alisonorr, lilpink and 7 others like this.
  10. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    This takes the cake.

Ninan, merylg, leela and 6 others like this.
  11. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Must admit I only skimmed it. I suppose one should try and understand WTF he's talking about in the first instance.

I am still uneasy about this being genuine, but then I can't see that it isn't a real submission. Just seems stupid to me: like he's suddenly read a book and thought 'Eureka!' this fits...

As far as I can tell a consultant named Anthony Collings does run the NHS Essex CFS/ME Service, but I don't know who/what 'David Newton' might refer to:

Anyway, as I can't be arsed to try and understand his ramblings, I did forward to others, so perhaps it might get some more worthy comment than I can generate myself at this point.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    moosie, merylg, vli and 4 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Wouldn't gaze too deeply into that mirror if I was you, son.

13. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I look forward to biomarkers and lawsuits.

Ninan, mango, PennyIA and 11 others like this.
  14. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

France
    Yeurk... A ragbag of the worst lamentable thinking...

merylg, alisonorr, maryb and 3 others like this.
  15. Marco

Marco Old blackguard

Near Cognac, France
    Ho hum. Pseudointellectualism disguising a sad little lefty wannabee.

16. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    There is no way that man should have contact with ME patients.

The whole letter is sick and warped, bordering on batshit crazy.

17. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    merylg, alisonorr, lilpink and 3 others like this.
  18. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Every cultural idea can be described as a meme - this includes the biopsychosocial model. Calling something a meme doesn't explain anything, or qualify/disqualify the ideas termed memes.

horcrux, moosie, Nielk and 14 others like this.
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Yep - the great irony here is that the BPS model of CFS just seems to be an idea that won't die, regardless of the evidence against it.

The original idea of a 'meme' (these days used rather loosely) was that it's an idea like a successful gene, that has survived because it keeps replicating because it's well-suited to its environment. The social environment that makes this particular meme successful is one in which people want to blame and despise the sick so that they themselves can feel superior, and can feel safe from a disease that would frighten them if they let themselves face its reality.

Like I said, ugly psychology and a spectacular lack of insight on the part of the people who peddle this view.

Roy S, merylg, alisonorr and 10 others like this.
  20. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I think you could argue that CFS is a meme but its one spreading ignorance amongst the medical profession. Its not spread through families but through medical schools. And it encourages believers like Newton and Collings to attack patients or for believers to block research proposals so there beliefs are not challenged. It encourages believing doctors to cause repeated harm to patients with GET despite countless reports of bad side effects.

The problem is the believers in the CFS are willing to believe the poorest quality research, obvious manipulation of results such as PACE and fail to acknowledge other research looking at cause. They created the CFS name for their meme.

The CFS meme is not new we have seen it with MS, Asthma, parkinsons etc. Its a meme of not accepting we don't understand everything whilst believing that people should be able to control physical effects with their minds. Its irrational but too many doctors believe it.

merylg, SOC, biophile and 19 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.