• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ news covers PACE trial FoI judgement

deleder2k

This is some of it. PM me for the full version if you cannot look it up.

A tribunal has ruled that Queen Mary University of London must release data from a trial looking at treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome, which found that cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy helped to alleviate the symptoms of the condition.1

The findings of the PACE (Pacing, graded Activity, and Cognitive behaviour therapy: a randomised Evaluation) trial, published in the Lancet in 2011,2 were questioned by some academics and patients, who argued that the PACE programme could harm patients.

He added that it was “regrettable” that the UK Medical Research Council, which partly funded the £5m (€5.8m; $6.5m) study, “did not specify that the trial data be made available to other researchers.”

Last edited:

deleder2k

Better to give the BMJ masses of traffic on that particular story, @deleder2k.

I agree, but can anyone access it? I don't understand whether this is behind a paywall or not. I can see it, and I haven't paid a dime.

I'll delete it. If someone is having trouble reading it; PM me.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I agree, but can anyone access it? I don't understand whether this is behind a paywall or not. I can see it, and I haven't paid a dime.

I'll delete it. If someone is having trouble reading it; PM me.

Seems to be a bit of a mix - I couldn't see it but then other people said they could - I thought things must have changed.