1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ: News - CFS is not caused by XMRV virus, study shows (What???)

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by CBS, Dec 24, 2010.

1. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    I'm posting this in the section on XMRV media as it is not a study, just a rehash of the four articles that announced to the world that (News flash!) PCR is subject to contamination. The important bit here is that the British Medical Journal is now touting this extreme interpretation of those articles as "News."

The way this is presented speaks for itself.

I wonder what J. Coffin is thinking about his "colleagues" now. His name is getting dragged through the mud in the name of furthering an agenda that has nothing to do with science.

Don't think for a moment that we weren't the targets of a very concerted "drive by" this week and its starting to look like Coffin was the unknowing stooge (I sincerely hope) doing the driving.

A Very Merry Christmas to you too BMJ!

2. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Isn't the UK just too fast at publishing stuff that is anti any viral/XMRV link to ME. I don't hold with conspiracy theories but if a whole bunch of top med bods haven't got together on this then I'm an alien, it stinks to high heaven.
  3. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Suggest they all keep up to date - if I can so can they. Four years ago in A&E classed psychiatric. Come on you lot. We carry so much ignorance here. Believe or not rather saner than those at the end of my bed.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It's irritating how those who were talking about the need for scepticism and replication with the initial XMRV results are now so happy to throw caution to the wind with work that claims to refute it. I'm sceptical of those Skeptics whose scepticism seems one-sided.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to get too worked up about it though. If XMRV works out, we'll be able to really go on that attack, but if not then it's probably better to have not made too much of a thing about it.

I've forgotten who it was who pointed out the hilarity of this statement, but I've got to pull it out again:

“The strongest lesson is that we must fully use robust guidelines and discriminatory methods to ascribe a cause to a disease.”
    Reacting to the findings, Anthony Cleare, reader in affective disorders at the Institute of Psychiatry of King’s College London, said, “The original paper linking infection with the XMRV virus with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) received widespread publicity. However, if this latest paper is correct, and XMRV is a laboratory contaminant rather than a virus that infects humans, it could explain why later studies have not confirmed any link between XMRV and CFS. Patients with CFS need much more certainty before accepting a link between XMRV and their illness.”
  5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Whoever speaks of this we who know the whole spectrum will prevail.
  6. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
  7. Angela Kennedy

Angela Kennedy *****

Essex, UK
  8. LJS

LJS Insert Witty Comment Here

East Coast, USA
    CBS, can you post a link to the BMJ article
  9. Riley

Riley

Louisiana
    On Christmas eve?!?! Really?!? This is so sick.
  10. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    Links to the headlines

ME 'virus' was actually a lab mistake, study says. The Independent, December 21 2010

Scientists conclude mouse virus does not cause ME. The Guardian, December 21 2010

ME 'not caused by the XMRV virus'. BBC News, December 21 2010
    Links to the science

Hue S, Gray ER, Gall A et al. Disease-associated XMRV sequences are consistent with laboratory contamination. Retrovirology, 2010, 7:111

:In bed:
  11. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    This is just not true, or is it??

The Hue et al. study concluded that certain primes also amplify certain MLVs and that the XMRV produced by a cell line was ancestral to the XMRV found by Lombardi et al. and Urisman et al. that they looked at (which was a small selection, if i'm not mistaken).

I'm not sure that this means those positive results came from mouse DNA and i'm even less sure it allows such a conclusion for "the cell samples used in previous research", which is a very general description.

Plus i would not use the word "show". "Led to the conclusion" or something like that would have been more correct. I think this article is getting quite close or has crossed the line that the law draws. If i were the author of "previous research" i would consider sueing them.

But maybe it's better to make a strong rebuttal ant not attack a journal.

Seems like a good part of the UK's medical system would best be shut down. And then start again with new people... horrible.

I agree with what lancelot said some days ago. It's war. Publishing this on christmas was too much. I don't understand why they are doing what they are doing but this is simply evil. Bring me their heads on a plate :eek: (Not really, even though it felt good to say it. But give them a good kick in the n..s)

And i really don't get why Coffin seems to have such a strong british connection. The quality of british science so far was not vey impressive. So why? I don't mistrust him, even though i don't like the part he has been playing so far very much. But i would like to know why this is.

Edit: I did not refer to the discussion between Lancelot and some others on another thread, i was not aware of that discussion. I agree with Lancelot on calling this war. We need to get to the point where we can prove those theories wrong as quickly as possible and then i hope those people will be held responsible in one way or the other. I have no more respect for the BBC or BMJ.

Oh... and Merry Christmas to everybody ;)

See more popular forum discussions.