Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ - Interview with Michael Sharpe

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by worldbackwards, Aug 11, 2016.

1. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Can't get into this, but would be interested to see what he says about CFS and PACE (if anything).

http://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i4231

Did notice from the little I could read that he's 62 now. Come on Michael, claim that bloody pension and give us all some peace.

Daisymay, Wildcat, Yogi and 9 others like this.
  2. duncan

duncan Senior Member

So, the title of the article seems to be "Michael Sharpe: Psychiatry Was No 'Waste Of A Career'". Am I reading that correctly?

Is it me, or does that strike anyone as a bit defensive?

Valentijn, JaimeS, Sean and 6 others like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

No, nothing

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Background:

5. duncan

duncan Senior Member

A bit of spin, with some justification thrown in for good measure?

Yeah, I'm thinking a tad defensive.

Maybe there is some tacit regret about not becoming a "train driver"? All things being equal, can anyone blame him?

6. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    I ran this through my word processor's famous "Tell the Truth?" autocorrect feature, with some surprising results:

"My colleagues begged me not to do it" —> "They couldn't wait to get rid of me, the bastards"

"I have no regrets" —> "I should have got a knighthood. Simon got one. Why didn't I get one?"

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Disappointing there was no PACE stuff. At this point it would have been hard for even the BMJ to pretend there were not serious problems with it. The more they speak about it the more ridiculous they look imo.

Yogi, JaimeS and Sean like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    How typically egotistical of him to only think of waste in terms of his career, and to ignore the wasted lives of thousands of ME sufferers due to the harmful drivel he produced during his "career". He careered through the ME landscape laying waste left right and centre.

9. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    While that is very true, it's hard to know whether he would have done equal damage as a medical physician

10. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Hard to imagine what job he would have done least damage in. Certainly wouldn't have wanted him as a train driver.

11. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Which is why they appear to be pretending it never happened!

12. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Certainly not a waste of a career but he has wasted thousands of others people's careers.

Does anyone have the full article?

13. Yogi

Yogi Senior Member

Why has the bmj not mentioned the PACE trial? They should do some coverage of the PACE trial developments over the last year. Anyone got any good contacts at bmj?

Certainly not a "wasted career"!!!!!

[​IMG]gifgifs.com

Michael Sharpe is not very eager to now talk about PACE after Tuller's investigation or his very lucrative insurance work which benefits from muddying and obfuscating the neurological disease ME/CFS with his integrating of psychiatry. Note - Insurance policies limit claims for 2 years for psychiatric diagnoses.

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Notes_on_the_Insurance_issue_in_ME.htm

http://www.virology.ws/2015/11/17/t...surance-companies-not-related-to-pace-really/

http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/Malingering_and_Illness_Deception.pdf

Michael Sharpe's chapter is 12

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Invisible Woman likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.