1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ: Evidence based medicine: a movement in crisis?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Currently open access, but these things tend to disappear behind a pay-wall after a while, so if interested, get in there quick:

http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g3725

I didn't think it was that great a piece, but this bit was interesting both because it had so much in common with BPS CFS work, and because it was written with such an assumption that these problems are driven by industry and the free-market, rather than simply the desire of researchers to hype their own results and exaggerate their own expertise:

They don't really go into enough specifics to be sure, but I got the impression that they were rather too keen on the instinctive judgements of experts (at least, those funded by the state rather than industry). To me, it seemed rather British Establishment in it's attitude and values, and they seem to downplay how bad things are. Anyway, posting up in case others are interested.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
    Sean, AbbyDear, Helen and 2 others like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Thanks very much for posting it!

Esther12 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.