1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith loves knitting. Again. She thought her days of knitting and purling were long over but ... she's back ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BMJ Editor's Choice: Evidence based medicine: flawed system but still the best we’ve got

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Firestormm, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Esther12 and Bob like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    EBM is like finding a good hammer in your tool box. Its so good you hammer all the nails in, then the screws, then start on the bolts. Its not evidence based principles that are the problem, its the limits to evidence based medicine, and the purpose to which many vested interests put it. Its still too immature a discipline, and definitely not a science, to be what we want it to be. It can improve, but to do that we need to keep chipping away at the bits that do not belong.
    natasa778, Sean and Marco like this.
  3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Industry sponsored research is simply not trustworthy when money is at stake. I'm very glad that independent research still exists.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    xchocoholic and alex3619 like this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

There needs to be systems of accountability in place.

At the moment, spinning data to make it seem like your results are more impressive than they are is good for a researchers career. We need to change that.
    A.B., biophile, alex3619 and 2 others like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I vote for jail time :D Or extensive community service for the benefit of the people harmed by the spin.
    xchocoholic likes this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Or a loss of prestige and title :)
    Valentijn likes this.
  7. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Tarred and feathered appeals to me.
    Valentijn likes this.
  8. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Who says we have to choose? "All of the above" should work :D
    xchocoholic and alex3619 like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    How about loss of patents? If companies commit fraud to get patents and approval, they should lose ownership of the drug, in its entirety, with the caveat that any harm from the drug up to that point is still their responsibility. Simple cancellation of a patent might be enough.
    xchocoholic likes this.
  10. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

If there was a prosecution of a drug company (or academic researchers/universities) for manslaughter or ABH/GBH assault depending on the level of harm they had caused that might lead to a huge change in culture. If someone knowingly covers up harms done by a drug or other medical treatment then I think they deserve such treatment.

Equally is a scientist knowingly misrepresents the positive outcomes leading people to take risks in trying a treatment that won't work I see no reason why they should not be prosecuted.

Where bad results are the result of incompetence I think we have to ask how people keep their jobs. In the current system they just seem to get more funding.

When the corporate culture was deemed bad around financial reporting leading to Enron's collapse the failure to correctly report financial results became a criminal offense in the US and this lead to a cultural change.
    alex3619, Valentijn and xchocoholic like this.

See more popular forum discussions.