• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ - Depression and anxiety in children with CFS/ME: cause or effect?

V99

http://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2010/07/24/adc.2009.173161.short?q=w_adc_ahead_tab
Helen Bould1, Glyn Lewis2, Alan Emond1, Esther Crawley1

Correspondence to
Professor Alan Emond, Centre for Child and Adolescent Health, University of Bristol, Hampton House, Cotham Hill, Bristol BS6 6JS, UK; alan.emond@bristol.ac.uk
Accepted 2 June 2010
Published Online First 26 July 2010
Chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is a common (0.19–2%)1,–,4 and disabling condition in children and young people, with over 50% of affected children and young people bed bound at some stage and a mean time off school of 1 academic year.5 The importance of CFS/ME has been highlighted by both the Chief Medical Officer's report6 and the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) guidelines.7

A variety of case definitions for CFS/ME exist (box 1), and studies, including those reviewed here, often use different definitions, particularly around the duration of symptoms. It is not clear whether the different case definitions have different implications for aetiology or prognosis. Paediatric CFS/ME is defined in the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health guidelines as “generalised fatigue persisting after routine tests and investigations have failed to identify an obvious underlying cause”.8 The NICE recommended that the fatigue should have lasted 3 months before a diagnosis is made and highlighted the fact that the fatigue must be disabling and was likely to occur in the presence of one other symptom7 (box 1). There is a philosophical discussion to be had on how diagnoses are made, particularly with diagnoses where no underlying pathogen has been identified, but it can be argued that “delineation of a syndrome is the first step towards elucidation of the chain of causation and redefinition of the whole group or subgroups within it”.9
Box 1 Definitions for chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) in children and young people
Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health definition of chronic fatigue syndrome or myalgic encephalomyelitis

”Generalised fatigue persisting after routine tests and investigations have failed to identify an obvious underlying cause”

National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence 2007 guidelines7

Fatigue with all of the following features:

New or had a specific onset …

V99

This was posted on the WPI facebook page.

Someone added that, 'One of the conclusions is that "We can also be confident that a diagnosis of psychiatric disorder in adults increases the risk of developing CFS/ME at later time points."'

V99

Could a moderator change the heading and remove BMJ. It is not strictly speaking from the BMJ. Thanks