• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ debate: "Should journals stop publishing research funded by the drug industry?"

Dolphin

Should journals stop publishing research funded by the drug industry?

The BMJ no longer publishes research funded by tobacco companies. Richard Smith and Peter Gøtzsche say that research funded by drug companies is also flawed and published to encourage sales, but Trish Groves says that the industries are fundamentally different and that moves are afoot to increase integrity

Free full text at: http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g171

Perhaps somebody could point out how research on non-pharmacological therapies e.g. CBT, GET, etc. isn't without its problems, perhaps using the PACE Trial as an example. Also, there is no yellow card scheme for reporting adverse reactions for such therapies, no central body (cf. FDA, European Medicines Agency) regulating the therapies, etc.

alex3619

This is an issue that has concerned me for some time. Drug company research into the efficacy of their own products should be changed to independent analysis. This may mean setting up large independent research organizations that pharmaceutical companies pay, but which are closely regulated. I don't think merely not publishing results is enough.

I also think there should be some kind of reporting method for problems with psychotherapy etc. The current system is broken or non-existent.

taniaaust1

But if drug company research wasnt published.. lots of helpful research wouldnt be out there either as they do fund so much research.

What I believe should happen is that there should be something in place so that ALL proper studies are published and have to be whether postive or negative ones. At the moment a pharma company could do the same study over and over until they come up with a positive result (and we all know that negative studies often arent published and journals more likely to accept positive ones).

Independant analyses like Alex mentions would be good for studies in which the ones funding them are going to end up profiting from them.