• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ asks that authors of research papers declare paper not misleading

I got the story here: http://www.equator-network.org/2013/08/08/declaration-of-transparency/

A BMJ editorial published today proposes that authors of research papers are asked to sign a declaration that their paper is not misleading.
The scientific community and the public at large deserve an accurate and complete record of research. However, there is considerable evidence that the research record is often manipulated for short term gain but at the risk of harm to patients. The medical research community needs to implement changes to ensure that readers obtain the truth about all research, especially reports of randomised trials, which hold a special place in answering what works best for patients.
Journal editors can help by asking authors to sign a declaration of transparency:
Transparency declaration
The lead author* affirms that this manuscript is an honest, accurate, and transparent account of the study being reported; that no important aspects of the study have been omitted; and that any discrepancies from the study as planned (and, if relevant, registered) have been explained.
*The manuscript’s guarantor.​
The BMJ and BMJ Open are leading the way by implementing this policy immediately. Widespread endorsement and implementation of a publication transparency declaration is one way to help to get the maximum value from medical research. We encourage other journals to support the transparency declaration. Editors, please email Iveta Simera (iveta.simera@csm.ox.ac.uk) when you introduce this policy and we will add you to the list of journals on the EQUATOR website (www.equator-network.org).
Reference: Altman DG, Moher D. Declaration of transparency for each research article. BMJ 2013;347:f4796 [free full text]
Supporting journals:

BMJ

BMJ Open

Canadian Journal of Anesthesia

I've not read the full text, but it's open access here: http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f4796

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I'd like to be the 'fly on the wall' to where lead researchers are talking in response to this.