• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blue (parking) Badge refusals and ME/CFS (UK)

charles shepherd

Blue Badge refusals and ME/CFS

What we’re saying about Blue Badge refusals and ME/CFS | 14 June 2016
One of the problems relating to Blue Badge applications and ME/CFS involves the official government guidance that singles out M.E. as a condition that does not automatically qualify people for a Blue Badge:

Whilst medical conditions such as asthma, Crohn’s disease/incontinent conditions, autism, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (M.E.) and other mental/cognitive/intellectual disabilities are not in themselves a qualification for a badge, people with these conditions may be eligible for a badge if they are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking.

Eligibility is not determined by the presence or absence of any particular diagnosis or condition.

Provided that an applicant has a permanent and substantial disability, a local authority’s eligibility decision should be based on whether the applicant’s difficulty in walking meets the criterion in the regulations. Each application should be considered on its merits – not on a “one size fits all” basis. The final decision about whether an applicant meets the criterion is for the issuing authority to make.

The Department for Transport has no power to intervene in eligibility decisions in individual cases.

Unfortunately, this official guidance is sometimes misinterpreted by local authority administrative staff to mean that people with ME/CFS cannot qualify for a Blue Badge.

I have spoken to the Countess of Mar about this problem – who has kindly asked a parliamentary question >>>>

More info on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...t-blue-badge-refusals-and-mecfs-14-june-2016/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Mrs Sowester

Just had phone call to say I'll be getting mine renewed, huzzah!
But they've lost my photo, can I send another one? Grrr
It hasn't been an easy process; like a fool I made the mistake of guessing I can walk between 50-100m (it turns out I can manage a slow 45m before getting breathless). Which meant I had to go for a medical assessment this time despite being less able than I was last time.
I was lucky with the assessor who was lovely and didn't make me walk or climb stairs and cut the assessment short as my finger tips were going blue. I was quite unwell afterwards and had to spend even more time resting than usual which doesn't feel fair to be honest.
I wasn't trying to get benefits or free parking; I just want to be able to have my husband park close enough to my local chemist that I can walk up the steps and ask the pharmacist for advice myself.
For me a Blue Badge allows a little independence because a wheelchair is just not always practical in a rural, hilly area with narrow or non existent pavements. I was upset at the hurdles I had to jump to get one.

Anyway, the moral of the story for anyone applying for a Blue Badge is - don't assume the goal posts haven't moved since your last application!

Seven7

Seven
Having one had been priceless for me, It allows me to work better from home (so I can move my laptop when I go to the office I don't have to carry it so far) , on bad days. Also, I can get my special needs food (organic) and things I need from supermarket, and on the occasions energy permits get groceries.

I couldn't have done without.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
people with these conditions may be eligible for a badge if they are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking.
In the US the Department of Motor Vehicles (which issues the handicapped parking permits) just relies on a form filled out by your doctor. Like @lnester7, having a handicapped permit allows me to do things I could never do without it. Before I had one I once had to park at the far end of a big parking lot in the summer heat and struggled really hard trying to get from the store to my car. This meant repeated sit-downs in the parking lot as I inched toward my car. Now I am assured of parking near the door of the store. :thumbsup:

panckage

In Canada I think it's the same @Sushi your doctor just has to fill out a form saying your condition requires a handicap permit. I feel sorry for our brothers and sisters in the UK