• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bloodwork at Dr Kaufmann

Hello!
I have an appointment with Dr Kaufmann at OMI soon and wonder what type of bloodwork he usually asks for?
Anna

helen1

He tests for the usual coinfections of ME: CMV, EBV, mycoplasma, HHV6, chlamydia pneumonia, coxsackie, lyme & coinfections, plus NK cell function and subsets of IGs, plus SIBO and the test for mast cell disorder - forgot the name.

Probably others depending on symptoms and history. Perhaps others will add to the list.

@Viktor11

Billt

13 vials as I remember. Lot's of things tested but can't remember at the moment what else. Yet, there always seems that there is something else that you can be tested for !! Wish you well

Strawberry

Hi @Viktor11

I was just at OMI in December. Helen's list is pretty close to what I had, but I was also tested for celiac. I am not certain what the test for mast cell is that she referred to, although I still have to do the SIBO and bartonella testing locally.

What I will add is that they sent bloodwork to two labs, Quest and IgeneX. I believe I saw that Quest was ran through my insurance and paid for, while I paid the IGeneX labs myself and just received the statement to submit to my insurance for a refund or what ever my insurance does.

And I remember far more vials than Billt does! But neither my mom nor I counted. It appeared around 20. Stay hydrated and take some juice and something to snack on afterwards. They take lots!

Best of luck

(edit: the mast cell test is tryptase)

Billt

And I remember far more vials than Billt does! But neither my mom nor I counted. It appeared around 20. Stay hydrated and take some juice and something to snack on afterwards. They take lots!

So true Strawberry , I think they took an extra 4-5 vials for " research " !! so total vials was up there ...

It took a draw in both arms to get it all. And yes Drink lots before you go ...

voner

[QUOTE="Billt, post: 696237, member: 18699"It took a draw in both arms to get it all. And yes Drink lots before you go ...[/QUOTE]

@Billt makes a good point. When I went there, I flew in The same day and drank very little water, and they had a hell of a time finding a vein. I think they took 13 vials from me also .