New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blood transfusions to treat CFS - item in New Scientist (7 Jan 2016) (anecdotal/informal)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just reading the article, "Time to stop getting old" in the print edition (p. 22) and came across:

All sorts of issues there but it's an interesting concept. There's been some research recently in ME/CFS about the bad effects of ME/CFS blood on healthy tissue (or vice-versa - can't remember).

2. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
    Risky! Not sure I would take that sign up for that one, there must be so many possible blood borne pathogens that we aren't currently aware of. I'm sure i've read of people developing ME after a transfusion.

3. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    I've read the same thing - e.g., our mitochondria and NK cells function beautifully outside of our blood, which was actually quite encouraging to me.

@Apple is right of course, about numerous blood borne pathogens we may not be aware of - but for the chance to get something of a life back, I might risk it, if I had $8,000 to throw away ---

4. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I always thought this experiment has to be done. Blood transfusion, I also thought of dialysis so the blood gets out of the body type and replace w new blood. I also think we need the marrow transplant test.

I am not expecting cure, is to see how the body behaves. Temporary cure? how longg does it last....

Jenny TipsforME, Mary and NL93 like this.
  5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Improvements from plasmopheris treatments seem to last a couple weeks

6. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    I think blood transfusions would be a temporary help, if at all in cfs, unfortunately. I think whatever is in the blood causing issues, is coming from elsewhere in the body.

lansbergen likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.