Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blood tests to confirm methylation mutation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Scoobieworld, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Scoobieworld

Scoobieworld

I have been deteriorating for the last four years and have been unable to heal my gut, suffering from total exhaustion and numerous food I tolerances. I am wondering if methylation made be a problem and plan to do 23 and me testing shortly, but whilst waiting for results, what blood tests could I ask my GP to do to help direct me....I usually have high liver enzymes and over large red blood cells as abnormalities, that GP is unconcerned about. I also take Citalpram, but wonder if there would be a better antidepressant. I live In UK and it would be pointless mentioning MYTHR to doctor as they will know nothing about it!!! Thanks for all your help

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  2. Horizon

Horizon Senior Member

23&me will uncover many of them if you use a site like genetic genie to decode the info. There is an MTHFR blood test you can get done but I don't see how you can avoid the topic if you request it. Maybe a small print out for the dr to read on the subject.

3. Scoobieworld

Scoobieworld

Thanks Horizon....don't think the NHS know anything about MTHYR, let alone doing blood tests for it!! I really meant any standard blood tests like B 6, B12 etc....

4. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    I'd argue that the B6, B12, folate, etc... blood tests aren't always accurate and in fact, may be misleadingly high if you have a methylation issue. BUT... if you did run those and did come out deficient, that might be useful information to have at your GP fingertips. (as in, they'll be more supportive of you wanting to take supplementation - albeit they would probably suggest the 'cheapest' and least likely to help if you have MTHFR... at least, that's exactly what my docs like to do).

5. Horizon

Horizon Senior Member

6. JES

JES Senior Member

The overly large red blood cells sound like a true concern that should be investigated.

There is very little actual evidence on how the methylation SNPs often mentioned on this forum affect our health, mostly all information comes from one source (Yasko). MTHFR is the only one that at the moment seems to have some evidence, and even that mutation is present in some form in 40% of population, most of which are perfectly healthy. Only a homozygous MTHFR SNP would be of some concern, as that would reduce MTHFR enzyme activity to 30% of the normal. In this case supplementing with active folate might be useful, but you can do that without gene testing as well and see if you improve. There is no harm done from folate supplements as long as it's not folic acid, but the active form.

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

If there's a methylation problem, homocysteine will typically be elevated. Homocysteine is a very common blood test.

8. Scoobieworld

Scoobieworld

Thank you everyone, great information x

9. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem All Good Things Must Come to an End

:jaw-drop::bang-head: Can you get a new GP?

See more popular forum discussions.