• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood test results - help to understand please

Previous scan showed non-alcoholic fatty liver so doc is concerned it’s now moved onto the next stage.

Your B12 should be over 500 pg/mL; you don't need injections, since sublingual B12 (methylcobalamin or Source Naturals dibencozide) will raise it quickly. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Dibencozide-Sublingual-Coenzyme/dp/B000GFPDB0 How is your homocysteine?

Might look into fasting to reduce your non-alcoholic fatty liver. Anecdotally, fasting for NAFLD has had great success, and also there's this: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160509085347.htm

You’ll have to educate me on what homocysteine is I’m afraid I’ve no idea what that is.
I’m already making changes to my diet, not that it was anything too bad but every little positive change is a step in the right direction.

Homocysteine is an amino acid that can accumulate in people with methylation problems. Since you have a lowish B12 level, it's possible that you also have an underperforming methylation cycle, and a homocysteine test would tell us that. There have been reams written on methylation; just google, or search these forums.

In any case, sublingual B12 should raise your B12 level. After you reach the 500-1000 pg/mL range, you could have a homocysteine test to see how your methylation is going.

Update: turns out I don't have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease !?!! Apparently the scan only showed some fatty deposits which have since reduced in size since the first scan 3 years ago, and there are no indicators towards scar tissue. I should never have been told I had NAFLD in the first place according to my GP, who was very apologetic. My jaundiced eyes must be down to Gilbert's Syndrome?

In any case, sublingual B12 should raise your B12 level. After you reach the 500-1000 pg/mL range, you could have a homocysteine test to see how your methylation is going.

Just to follow up-- I've changed my mind on B12 sublinguals. B12 sublinguals made my blood results look normal (homocysteine < 8, serum b12 >500) but I still had symptoms. Now I'm using B12 injections, and they are helping my fatigue and tingling.

My jaundiced eyes must be down to Gilbert's Syndrome?

I was told my high bilirubin was due to Gilbert's syndrome, too, but my bilirubin became normal after taking methylfolate for C677T, so draw your own conclusions.

And I also had initial B12 in the 300ish range; interesting similarities between our situations.

iwillwin1day

Update: turns out I don't have non-alcoholic fatty liver disease !?!! Apparently the scan only showed some fatty deposits which have since reduced in size since the first scan 3 years ago, and there are no indicators towards scar tissue. I should never have been told I had NAFLD in the first place according to my GP, who was very apologetic. My jaundiced eyes must be down to Gilbert's Syndrome?
Yes. Yellow eyes juandice with high billirubin of 14 is Gilbert syndrome.