The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blood sucking kissing bug:chagas in USA

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Abha, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
  2. Raindrop

Raindrop Senior Member

USA
    Wow! As if we don't already have enough viruses to worry about!
    Interesting how it can go "underground" and then cause havoc. In a way has some similarities to Lyme.
    Thanks for giving awareness.

CantThink likes this.
  3. Abha

Abha Abha

UK
    Hi Raindrop

On forums such as these there is always a lot of chat re Lyme illness and nothing really about such things as chagas or Rickettsias.These also cause a host of problems and many patients are probably unaware of such illnesses.

CantThink and Min like this.
  4. Iquitos

Iquitos Senior Member

Colorado
    "The CDC says that most of the Chagas cases in the US are from people who have traveled to Latin America, and were infected there. But Garcia told HealthDay News her research showed that the parasite has arrived in the US, and the government agency has admitted that triatomine bugs can be found across the lower half of the country."

This insect is from the tropics and is not likely to be found in the average home anywhere in the US. In Latin America it often lives in the palm leaf or cane ceilings of substandard housing (shacks). So if you don't get it from being born to a woman who has it, or from a blood transfusion (highly unlikely), and you haven't stayed in substandard housing while traveling in Latin America, your risk in the US is very low, sensationalist reporting not withstanding.

And it's a parasite, not a virus.

barbc56 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.