1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blood Products Advisory Committee Meeting Announcement (BPAC) December 14-15, 2010

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Otis, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Judy's up

She's saying HMRV's. Subtly thumbing her nose at the medical establishment. Not sure that's such a smart thing to do.

What a cohort, though. 50% homebound. Flu-like onset. CCC criteria - this is THE group that XMRV should show up...

They shipped samples to the National Cancer Institute - impeccable credentials. (Our retro contact says Ruscetti's rep is really solid). Very smart :) A new lab there as well - never tested for XMRV - they are covering the bases! And they used two independent labs....everything was blinded...what more could you want?

2. hope

hope

what is the significance of saying HMRV ?
  3. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

It is a generic term covering both XRMV and PMLV. Insisting these are different aspects of the same virus. See also, "100 years of HIV-1"
  4. hope

hope

thanks! anciendaze
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

And the H is for Human. Something many are still sceptical of.
  6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Culture for 21-42 days - a long time but it makes sense if the virus is at the limits of detection as Hansen suggested and she notes other studies have only cultured for 1-2 weeks. Is that the difference there? They didn't let the samples sit for another couple of weeks (aaarghhhhhh!). Using DERSE (?) XMRV does not show up in the controls and it shows up in spades in the patients - 78%!.

They did find PCR negative patients from whom they could culture the virus.....(limits of detection again? Has the WPI just worked harder to find the virus than anyone else?)

Now for the questions from Coffin: this will be interesting :)
  7. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Dr. Mikovits decided to rename the virus to illustrate that it is a human virus...Dr. Singh thought the idea of Dr. Mikovits renaming it on her own was rather wild - since she doesn't have any control over what the virus is called......Its a minor point but her calling it HMRV when everyone else is calling it XMRV will undoubtedly tweak some people off a bit.....It doesn't hurt XMRV but I don't think it helps Dr. Mikovits much...
  8. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    "Recovery" is a pretty poorly defined term here. From what has been posted, the "recovered" group was not as well as the healthy control group. Just as likely is that something is still going on (not exactly recovered) that can vary overtime in terms of the symptomology.
  9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    And here we have it - they confirm their original findings - and they are different from the Hansen/Lo findings. I would have thought they would have started to pick up those pMLV's but maybe they are searching differently.

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Zero? Surely not.
  11. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

Could this possibly be anything to do with the fact the cohort are from the UK and not the US?
  12. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Singh actually felt that the use of multiple terms for something we really don't have nailed down yet was likely to cause confusion in the literature. I got the sense that she understood the political reasons for doing so but she felt that at this point it wasn't worth the potential cost.
  13. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Now for the questions

What does this mean??? I think we're missing some relevant pieces.

Someone suggests going back and looking in large blood repositories to see when XMRV first appears. Judy says, you can't do that right now (but this is a given if XMRV proves out - they'll jump right on that as soon as XMRV is validated).

Coffin suggesting yes, it could be there, somewhere in the body that is hard to detect. (What is PPL?) Is he suggesting that it is present in the population but something about CFS could turn it pathogenic??? That would make sense...In any case - a more positive outlook, at least temporarily, from Dr. Coffin.

Again... the limits of detection??? A virus you need to culture alot for? One that some PCR machines can find and others cannot not.....These would be good answers to the XMRV dilemma :D:D:D

Stoye is next but before that - a cheer from the crowd :)

14. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Many of us have had sustained periods of remission (without taking anti-retrovirals, obviously) even if we relapsed later - I suspect those who have "recovered" are basically in a long and maybe indefinite period of symptomless remission. I hope they don't develop serious disease (cancer, heart disease etc.) later.
  15. hope

hope

so it may be premature. thanks.
  16. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    I agree, recovered did not sound like really recovered - just no longer as severely ill. I changed it to 'get better'. Good point.
  17. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    "ppl" is just an abbreviation for "people". Been using that one online since long before the Internet!
  18. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    She doesn't like Stoye - I agree that a virology lecture is hardly what's need at this point. Who is he talking to? Isn;t he talking to a bunch of virologists????:confused::confused: Honestly, this always seems to happen at conferences.

There's the 'insertion of XMRV into human DNA' - very important that they can show that its gotten into, ie infected human DNA....This means there is no doubt that it is the 3rd or whatever infectious human retrovirus......

He does agree with the need to "push your PCR" - this is a rare virus in the blood...and he does question how such a rare virus could be causing disease...of course they've only looked in the blood. In monkeys it appeared - spread through the blood - then basically disappeared. So its maybe a one time infection type of thing. It gets in there - goes to where it will go then is disseminated no more! It's not in the blood anymore - its not going anywhere since that is how viruses move around the body - except in the localized areas where it got in during the initial infection.

I don't know if stating the 4% finding appears to be robust constitutes "sneering". It sounds more like validation to me - but I'm not there.
  19. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    The Advisory Committee isn't all virologists. Many other disciplines represented.
  20. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

ROFL, lecturing a bunch of virologists about virology.

I hope this is the reason.

See more popular forum discussions.