1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blood Products Advisory Committee Meeting Announcement (BPAC) December 14-15, 2010

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Otis, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    that was posted by Khaly Castle in her blog. She apparently received it from someone in the meeting. I don't think it was posted in advance. (?)

The twitterer's are not tweeting very much.......
  2. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Thanks for the updates Cort, much appreciated.

4 samples... I shudder to think what will happen when the world is faced with a bigger health crisis. Oh wait, it already happened with HIV and millions died and are still dying :(
  3. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    This is from Lo?

They seem simply to be going over the Lo study - yes they did mtDNA - no contamination but did not do some test that would have clinched it, I guess....which I don't know....

Interesting that viral #'s decreased over time in the patients they retested -years later

Here's the big question - Coffin wants to know if they have isolated the virus. If they can do that they're in darn good shape - but they haven't been able to do that yet.

Coffin is clearly worried about contamination. He can now tell whether a sequence came from a mouse or XMRV........he has found mouse DNA in CFS patients.
  4. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Who is Heidi Bauer?
  5. Sam Carter

Sam Carter Guest

6. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    This is what the retrovirologist told George and I: the mtDNA genome is too small - its good but you can miss things - best to do the other form. Lo used spleen cells with lower mtDNA - which I would guess doesn't help.

Lo is saying that mouse contaminants don't show up like our gene sequences did - they are broken up - degraded - ours were too clean to suggest mouse DNA (I think that's what he's saying....)

There's clearly a debate about this.....but Lo is very confident - it's amazing they can't just get this down. I guess this IS rocket science.....
  7. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

This is certainly stuff that only the brighter minds can grasp... it's totally out of my league.
  8. Cort

Raleigh, NC

Our retro contact says this is a big deal. You can't create a virus out of a string of mouse DNA that slipped in. (the virus could still slip in but at least you've completely the removed the threat of some mouse DNA floating into your sample at some point) The ability of Ruscetti to do this is what really got his attention. Too bad they are unable to do it thus far.

Not sure what this means but 'changes' in general are good because real viruses change subtly over time while 'sameness' is a red flag because contaminants do not. I suppose they can be degraded by processes in the body...?
  9. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    As soon as they start to get below the surface - I'm gone as well. :confused:
  10. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Could be Dr Shyh-Ching Lo (FDA - From the Alter/Lo study,) and Maureen Hanson?

ie. They are giving the Group C. study talks -

C. "Recent Studies of Epidemiology of MLV-related Human Retroviruses":

i. U.S. Study, Shyh-Ching Lo, M.D., OCTGT, FDA (15’)
    ii. U.S. Study. Maureen Hanson, Ph.D., Cornell University (15’)
    iii. UK Study, Judy Mikovits, Ph.D. Whitmore Peterson Institute (15’)

Makes sense they might all be seated together.
  11. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjavGsYvao
  12. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Alter fights back

Score Big Time - :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

How do you get the same contaminant twice 15 years apart? What are the chances of that? They are using different reagants, different sampling techniques, maybe different tubes, they are processing the sample immediately - yet the same contaminant shows up........Very strong point by Alter

It sounds like Lo says their method for checking contamination is the most sensitive...They sound quite confident.

I think that's it for them...why only 15 minutes for a presentation??

Surprised they haven't fully sequenced what they found but they do seem confident...
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm surprised there's such disagreement. I thought the big researchers there would know the BWG results and that would have created some consensus over the big picture.
  14. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Hansen is up - she found pMLV's in Bells original pediatric cohort

She found some contamination in her controls (CHECK - wrong interpretation!) - which in a weird way is good because it means she can find it (at least in part) if its there. She's considering using mtDNA techniques that Alter uses.

She is not finding XMRV.......She can tell because there is a specific deletion in the gag protein in XMRV that is not found in pMLV's and she's looking right at that area and its not showing up....

Her percentages are very close to the WPI - but she really is finding a different virus....Yet she is right in step with the WPI on how to test for; do not use the VP62 clone as a base - you'll miss it. The really weird thing is that the WPI used the VP62 clone as a base for their first study I believe - they had to - they had no other base to work off of I don't think. Later they said - no don't use it....Dr. Hansen agrees.

I think some of the translation is off; Dr. Hansen is finding pMLV's which do not have the deletion - yet she is saying she found them....I am a bit confused...

This is different from the WPI as well - they found XMRV in the first pass - something that McClure questioned. Hansen is saying it took at least four passes?????
  15. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I am glad though that a renowned researcher like Alter has entered our arena. His reputation is now at stake as well and it looks like he is defending it well.
  16. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

This virus violates some assumptions that are very convenient for researchers. The alternative looks so difficult it is frightening. Nature does not have to play by rules set by researchers. We are seeing the beginning of a paradigm shift.
  17. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Re Hanson findings - Cort's post #54 above:

That's:

14/20 for Severe/Recovered CFS (in total),
    4/20 only, for Healthy controls.

Big difference.
  18. Deatheye

Deatheye Senior Member

Details? which assumptions are you Talking about?
  19. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    That's wild....different brands of PCR machines in the same lab give different results...that will probably drive people nuts...

Hard to tell but it looks like some outside confirmation (maybe?). Good news that serology matches with PCR in controls.....since some controls were positive....
  20. Cort

Raleigh, NC
    Coffin wants to see that virus isolated. (So do we!!). She might be saying that she can see variations in the viruses, again, which is good. Actually I don't think the answer to that question is reported....too b ad...

At the limits of detection! Yes...Some PCR's can pick it up and some can't. Could it be all about newer vs older machines? Or better vs not quite as good machines? Could it all come down to something like that? It starts to make a bit of sense given the inability to explain the disparate results, though....At the limits of detection.....Clever of her to try two different PCR machines :)

Interesting. As many patients with whatever she found (not classic XMRV - poly MLV's) recovered as remained ill - so if what she found is what the WPI found or related to it - you don't necessarily need to take anti-retrovirals to recover....if all this holds up.

See more popular forum discussions.