Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blog on a said-to-be-bad official German report on ME/CFS (German with link to English translation)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

http://meversuscfs.blogspot.de/2016/02/fuhrt-das-robert-koch-institut-uns-der.html

She seems to have set it up that when you go to the page, there will be a translate button into whichever language you desire.
    Or just click here:
    https://translate.google.com/transl...koch-institut-uns-der.html&edit-text=&act=url

The English translation of this is a little difficult to read, particularly in some places.

Part of the problem may be the different word order in German e.g. the main verb is often at the end of the sentence.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    barbc56, Sean, Esther12 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

3. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

as long as this crap can act without ever been taken responsible for their neglect and mistreatment, the population will just get sicker and sicker.

its pervert that citizens survival is bound to ppl who stupidly stare over their desk at you or run occassionally some 'tests' that prove to be more wrong than right.

they are above the law.
    in contrast to other professions.

the only sophisticated tech they use are invoicing systems.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    GreyOwl likes this.
  4. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    No translate button on my screen. From what I can understand (it's a lot to read and my brain's tired) The Robert Koch Institute / German Health Ministry has produced a report into ME/CFS (11 pages long) which ignores all the latest research and recommends not doing lab tests, but rather GET and CBT.

Also described is a load of political stuff about how the report came to be written. According to the blogger, the report was initiated by a bunch of psychologists and psychotherapists who set up an group to help people with ME/CFS, although only one person in the group actually had ME/CFS. They invited a minister to their group in 2013 who said he'd do something about the dire situation of patients in Germany, the group celebrated this as a success, and 3 years later this report is the result. Apparently the group of psychs was warned by seasoned ME advocates not to go cosying up to officialdom but ignored that advice. The blogger Katharina Voss is scathing about their naivety.

Katharina Voss is the mother of two daughters with severe ME who has had to deal not only with their illness but also with their school and social services making her life hell. She's certainly the genuine article. I haven't read the Robert Koch Institute report myself, and don't know anything about the politics as it was all just before my time, but I know that the visit of the minister generated a lot of hope, and that if this report is as KV describes then it'll be a major disappointment.

5. TiredSam

Germany
    I've just read the Robert Koch report and it's as bad as described. They basically trawled PubMed up to 2014 and swallowed all the BPS studies, ending with a recommendation for GET and CBT. No mention of the IOM report or developments since 2014, so it's out of date before it's printed. It looks like they gave the job to a student on work experience, who did a search for "CFS" at PubMed and cobbled something together. Appalling.

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Is there a link to it somewhere?

7. TiredSam

Germany
    http://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Gesund...kenntnisstand_2015.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

It seems to be just an uncritical review of the English language literature up to 2014. I can't imagine Carmen Scheibenbogen or the German ME advocate group Fatigatio (http://www.fatigatio.de/aktuelles/) were asked, or if they were their answers must have been ignored.

I think there may be different views of the politics of how the report came to be written, and I don't want to get into that. For example according to some reports when the minister visited he met with a lot of patients. http://www.in-engen-grenzen.de/veranstaltungen/ There's no suggestion that the psych group who organised the visit was trying to push the BPS model, in fact quite the reverse, they'll be as disappointed with this report as everyone else.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Woolie, mango, Dolphin and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.