Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Blog: Improving care for people with Medically Unexplained Symptoms

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by AndyPR, Mar 27, 2017.

1. AndyPR

AndyPR RIP PR :'(

Not a recommendation.
    http://primarycarekeele.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/mus-guidelines.html

Comments are open, only one comment so far but a very good one.

Chezboo, GreyOwl, Chrisb and 8 others like this.
  2. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
  3. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Yes the solitary comment is good. I tried to add another but it didn't make it through moderation. We need to keep this in the front of our minds... the way in which MUPS is being rolled out and the derogatory comments used to enthuse members of the medical profession and service providers alike is very worrying.

I won't add more to this thread as I appreciate it's already covered at my post elsewhere, but this isn't going away.

4. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

A podcast in the same vein (GP sceptics, what a joke....):
    https://drjustincoleman.com/2017/08/10/gpsceptics-pod11-medically-unexplained-symptoms/

Presentation:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Invisible Woman and AndyPR like this.
  5. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

They have given the game away:

"As a GP what can I do?

..........I led the development of a number of fact sheets which aim to support GPs in their daily encounters with people with mental health problems. One of these fact sheets focuses on MUS, which makes valuable suggestions to support you, as a GP, in the identification and management of patients suffering with MUS."

Clearly you only need read the fact sheet if you have a patient with a mental health problem.

The fact sheet in the "Mental Health Toolkit" for "Medically unexplained Symptoms guidance" is introduced by the statement "The following tools may be used for recognising, diagnosing and helping patients with a mental illness".

I find it hard to decide whether there is a general lack of competence, or whether it is merely an absence of the skills necessary for drafting complex documents.

6. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Yeah, relying on your prejudice really is the best management of all. :bang-head:
    That could have perfectly happened with ER doctors
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...oms-attention-inquest/?WT.mc_id=tmgoff_fb_tmg

7. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    Esther12 and Sean like this.

See more popular forum discussions.