• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog/article: Dear Health Care Professional

Rrrr

A new blog/article to read!

https://speakupaboutme.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/dear-healthcare-professional/

"We have seen all sorts of comments by healthcare professionals about patients with ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) and what is “really” wrong with them. These are just a few comments (and what is implied by those comments): They just don’t want to work (they want to be on disability, they stand to gain from disability), are bored (so they spend their time imagining symptoms), can’t cope with everyday stress (they need psychological help), don’t exercise (and are deconditioned), are fat (and deconditioned), don’t want to be responsible for themselves (they want to go on disability and live an easy life), want stimulants, narcotics, etc (they are drugseekers), want disabled parking tags (because disability is a perk).
Dear Healthcare Professionals: Comments about patients with ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) such as those made by healthcare professionals like you are painful. I hope this post helps you understand some of our pain and frustration.... [The rest of the article is found on this website:
https://speakupaboutme.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/dear-healthcare-professional ]

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Comments about patients with ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) such as those made by healthcare professionals like you are painful.

Invalidated trauma deepens trauma.

When the healthcare system denies our biological symptoms, and effectively blames us, the betrayal compounds the trauma of the illness.

meandthecat

Much of the discrimination is silent, the abuse is characterised by neglect and facilitated by avoidance and deception.

Has the importance of the doctor/patient relationship gone the same way as work/life balance; Did it ever exist or was it a convenient fiction embedded within a traditional role now floundering?

Words are the tip of an iceberg............