• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog:6 Signs of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Unusual Steps to Deal With It

me/cfs 27931

So much here, it's hard to stop laughing. Just when I thought I had heard it all, I stumbled across this comedy gem.

These are some "suggestions" for managing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome:
  • Bungee jumping can help reduce symptoms
  • Screaming until hoarse increases tiredness
  • Avoid email and technology while also increasing usage of social media
  • Battling over what ice cream flavor to buy increases fatigue
  • Use color therapy to reduce fatigue
  • List one's accomplishments to reduce fatigue
  • Use mint aromas to increase energy
"Managing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, in conclusion, is possible. Knowledge of its signs and a few savvy suggestions will help greatly."

http://www.lifeadvancer.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome

:depressed::depressed::bang-head:

A.B.

I have the suspicion that this is generated by some grammatically clever but otherwise dumb algorithm that just learns what other people have written about CFS and related terms and then constructs vaguely similar sentences.

How else do you explain sentences like this?

Furthermore, breastfeeding or pregnant mothers may have CFS due to excessive exercise.
Those who have CFS may belong to professions which require them to use their voices on a regular basis. Screaming until they become hoarse may make them susceptible to tiredness.

Oh dear. The writer clearly has no idea what CFS is. Seems to think it's anything that makes you tired.

Sort of hilarious but it's a bit of a hollow laugh because some poor souls might actually believe it. Even more damaging probably is friends and family of ME/CFS sufferers believing it and giving advice based on this nonsense.

A perfect example of the immense damage done by the name Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Or maybe I've just had a complete sense of humour failure, and it's all a big joke????

me/cfs 27931

Or maybe I've just had a complete sense of humour failure, and it's all a big joke????
tumblr_o8gqbgJeW81sh3zp9o1_500.png

:rolleyes:

Forbin

Hmmm. This "blog" seems to have changed over time. Many of the items quoted above no longer appear there. Rather than editing, I have a feeling that the blog is modifying itself in real time. It does seem like it's being crafted by a version of IBM's "Watson." Also, if you click on the author, currently "Michelle L.", you are taken to an "our team" page where "Michelle L." is oddly absent. Instead, one is presented with the photos of several other people only identified by their first name and last initial. One could be forgiven for imagining that this page is artificially generated as well.

Last edited:

me/cfs 27931

I used their "Contact Me" link, noting that CFS is not a fatigue disease, that exercise can be harmful, and pointing them to the IOM report. I got back this reply from Lucas (lifeadvancer@gmail.com):
Hello Jeff,

We are really sorry for all these mistakes our article contains. It is really important for us to have people like you because this way we are improving every day.

I have already e-mailed Michelle, and send her your message, she wants to apologize and she probably will send you an e-mail too.

I would like to ensure you that we will re-write the article and any kind of feedback would be much appreciated.

Have great day

Lucas
I've invited Michelle to engage with us as she rewrites her blog post. That would be a nice twist.

me/cfs 27931

Michelle never contacted me, only Lucas. Perhaps some of you are correct and it was an algorithm that wrote the original article.

You'll notice there's been a rewrite, and it's not as awful. It does devolve as you read on. I've certainly read worse and the links at the end are good, but that's about the only praise I can give.

I'm not sure why the public comments got erased, but suspect it has more to do with tech incompetence on their end than any attempt to avoid criticism.

http://www.lifeadvancer.com/chronic-fatigue-syndrome