• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bloating of the stomach

For the past two or three days, my stomach has been bloated but otherwise I feel fine. What can cause this and what can I take to relieve it? Thank you!!

richvank

Hi, Sue.

Does it get worse if you eat foods high in sugars? If so, it could be yeast overgrowth. If so, Candex might work pretty well. It contains enzymes that digest the cell walls of the yeasts.

It could also be due to bacterial dysbiosis, but I would suspect yeast overgrowth first.

Best regards,

Rich

nanonug

For the past two or three days, my stomach has been bloated but otherwise I feel fine.

Are you bloated all the time or does it get worse after you eat?

Do you have any other symptoms besides bloating, such as diarrhea or constipation, heartburn, stomach pain, etc?

Rich has already mentioned yeast overgrowth. Another possibility is bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.

"Rich has already mentioned yeast overgrowth. Another possibility is bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine."

I'm curious.....how would one know if it's yeast or bacteria? And how would foods high in sugar cause that?

Are you bloated all the time or does it get worse after you eat?

Do you have any other symptoms besides bloating, such as diarrhea or constipation, heartburn, stomach pain, etc?

Rich has already mentioned yeast overgrowth. Another possibility is bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine.

A few weeks ago I pulled a muscle in the side of my back and was put on flexil, muscle relaxant and vicodin. I noticed after my back and side started feeling much better, That is when I noticed the bloatness in my stomach a couple days ago. I don't have any pain or discomfort other than the bloatness getting on my nerves.

Hi, Sue.

Does it get worse if you eat foods high in sugars? If so, it could be yeast overgrowth. If so, Candex might work pretty well. It contains enzymes that digest the cell walls of the yeasts.

It could also be due to bacterial dysbiosis, but I would suspect yeast overgrowth first.

Best regards,

Rich
Thanks Rich, I just ordered Candex and paid for overnight shipping. Sure hope it works. I will let you know.

hurtingallthetimet

Hi, Sue.

Best regards,

Rich

hello i have bloating alot and it seems after breads and sugars...my belly will swell till i swear i look 8 or 9 months pregnant sometimes and its very uncomfortable i feel like a balloon in my stomcah its not that ive eaten alot or anytihng it just swells..

rich i saw your post and curious about the candex id love to try and find something to help...can you buy it over counter or in yogurts? i see yogurts advertised on tv about balancing diet et.
thanks

nanonug

how would one know if it's yeast or bacteria?

For bacteria, there is a test called lactulose breath test. Your gastroenterologist should be able to test for this. For yeast, I think it mostly relies on urinary organic acids but rich knows more about this stuff then me.

And how would foods high in sugar cause that?

Basically, both yeast and bacteria love sugar. Don't we all? :)

nanonug

A few weeks ago I pulled a muscle in the side of my back and was put on flexil, muscle relaxant and vicodin. I noticed after my back and side started feeling much better, That is when I noticed the bloatness in my stomach a couple days ago. I don't have any pain or discomfort other than the bloatness getting on my nerves.

Hmm, if this is a side effect from a drug, drug-induced hepatitis comes to mind as a possibility. I think it would be wise to see a doctor.

Ema

I often get a bloated stomach when the muscles in my back are in spasm. It's like the muscles in my abdomen relax right along with the back muscles - maybe due to the meds?

It is odd though if it started after you were feeling better. Certainly all the other items mentioned can cause bloating as well.

richvank

"Rich has already mentioned yeast overgrowth. Another possibility is bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine."

I'm curious.....how would one know if it's yeast or bacteria? And how would foods high in sugar cause that?

Hi, Judi.

Yeasts and some bacteria ferment sugars and produce alcohol or aldehyde from them, in addition to carbon dioxide, which is a gas, and which can cause bloating as well as belching and flatus. Starches are broken down into sugars in the gut, so starches can also cause bloating if there is yeast overgrowth or certain kinds of bacterial dysbiosis.

These are very common in ME/CFS. In many cases they have resulted from the use of antibiotics (especially broad-spectrum antibiotics) to treat acne or some type of infection. Unfortunately, conventional physicians usually don't tell their patients to take probiotics to replace the beneficial bacteria that are knocked down by the antibiotics, so unhelpful bacteria and yeasts are often able to get the upper hand in the gut after antibiotic treatment. I think that this is one of the possible routes into ME/CFS that affects some people.

Candex is available in health food stores or on the internet. If it does not take care of the bloating, the comprehensive stool analysis may be called for, to determine which bacteria are dominant in the gut, and thus give direction for treatment to restore normal populations of beneficial gut flora.

Best regards,

Rich

beaker

ME/cfs 1986

Did you by any chance take any advil or motrin or any other type of NSAID for the pain/inflammation of this injury along with the other meds you mention?

Rich,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This helps me a lot. Sugar has been annoying me and I couldn't understand why, I've been abstaining as much as possible and when ever I have something equivalent to a treat (candy bar/cookie/bowl of cereal) I start belching shortly there after. My bloating improves when I eat only raw foods, so I've been trying to stick with that as of lately and so far so good.

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to help me gain some more insight into this wacky world

Judi

Hi, Sue.

Best regards,

Rich
Thank you so much Rich. I ordered that Candex and within a few days the bloating went down and I feel so much better. Thanks for the info that directed me in the right direction.

CBS

Bacterial overgrowth can be diagnosed with a hydrogen/methane breath test. There are not a lot of facilities that can do a valid hydrogen breath test and there are some limitations but for me this test both confirmed the SIBO diagnosis and demonstrated the effectiveness of the treatment (Rifaxamin/Xifaxan).

I found eating gluten free products as much as possible really helped with the bloating and feeling uncomforatable.
I'm not completely gf free but getting there.

I also stopped eating any processed foods as much as possible, and anything artificial.

Also I stopped sugar intake unless it is Xylitil, a natural sugar, and use this for cooking with too, (not that I do much cooking these days).

Rather than spend money on various yoghurts I tried just a plain natural greek yoghurt and this really settled my whole digestive tract. I eat it for breakfast with berries and a gf musleli and they days I dont eat it, I know about it with acidy stuff happening.
(Am also drinking decafe coffee)

All these changes were made earlier in this year and I have so much more energy because of it.
My family are also making these changes, albeit slow, and they arent cfs/me.