• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blessings in the Midst of Suffering

Hello everyone!

Often times, I'll find that when people discover you are ill or disabled, they automatically assume you're depressed or you no longer are able to see the blessings within your life. That is just not true though (at least in my case)! Though I have times of struggle because of the situation I've been put in by CFS, I know that these struggles really won't last forever. And even in the midst of my suffering, I'm still feeling blessed by God beyond what I can imagine and am truly thankful for that.

So my question to you all is, where do you see blessings appear within the midst of your struggles?

Feel free to share all your wonderful, blessed experiences here! ♥

3CFIDS@ourhouse

still me
Thanks for starting this!

I am so prone to look at the half-empty glass (or more often, the three-quarters empty glass ;)), so this is helpful for me. When I am feeling most sick, I really can't do this, but on better days, I am blessed by being an observer. This illness has made it impossible for me to be a doer, as in my old before CFS-life, but I've found a hidden blessing in being quiet and watching. The cardinal at the bird feeder outside my window, the tiny spider perfectly designed to blend in with the flower he's on, the little tree frog snoozing on the rose blossom in my yard- all bring so much joy! I do miss going to the beach (only 30 minutes away, but undoable for me) or seeing new sights outside my own yard, but God's creation right under my nose is awesome!

I am so prone to look at the half-empty glass (or more often, the three-quarters empty glass ;)), so this is helpful for me. When I am feeling most sick, I really can't do this, but on better days, I am blessed by being an observer. This illness has made it impossible for me to be a doer, as in my old before CFS-life, but I've found a hidden blessing in being quiet and watching. The cardinal at the bird feeder outside my window, the tiny spider perfectly designed to blend in with the flower he's on, the little tree frog snoozing on the rose blossom in my yard- all bring so much joy! I do miss going to the beach (only 30 minutes away, but undoable for me) or seeing new sights outside my own yard, but God's creation right under my nose is awesome!

Ah yes, being quiet and watching is such a blessing that I wish everyone should discover. It's amazing what God can reveal to someone in the stillness.

I've found that God's creation seems to be something that I notice more now that I'm ill as well. And truly, it really is a blessing! To be able to watch the sunset from my bedroom window, or see the trees on the mountains is something that I cherish.

Thank you for sharing your blessing 3CFIDS@ourhouse!!!

Dainty

I'm often blessed by the sound of the rain on my roof. A gentle pattering is the most relaxing soundtrack I can think of (save the few times it's intolerable...thankfully, very few). And then there's the wind! I love hearing the wind, and especially the gusts strong enought o may my entire tailer shudder. It's thrilling.

And then I have these spiders that I live with. For some inexplicable reason every once in a while one of them will drop down from the ceiling and hang there on their web for hours, just chillin' and swinging gently in the breeze of my air purifiers and dehumidifiers and whatever else is causing drafts in here. It's quite entertaining, and they tend to do so right where I walk and right about at eye level. I've spent hours jsut wating them, blowign on them to see their reaction, etc. :D Unfortunately sometimes I do have to take them down because there's only so many times I can remember to duck when I walk by....I just take a hold of the string of web they're hanging from and place them somewhere else.

So yes, many blessings. And there have been times when I'm in so much pain and need a distraction but cannot get on the computer, and I pray for help, and in that moment I hear the rain begin on my roof. :)

I'm often blessed by the sound of the rain on my roof. A gentle pattering is the most relaxing soundtrack I can think of (save the few times it's intolerable...thankfully, very few). And then there's the wind! I love hearing the wind, and especially the gusts strong enought o may my entire tailer shudder. It's thrilling.

And then I have these spiders that I live with. For some inexplicable reason every once in a while one of them will drop down from the ceiling and hang there on their web for hours, just chillin' and swinging gently in the breeze of my air purifiers and dehumidifiers and whatever else is causing drafts in here. It's quite entertaining, and they tend to do so right where I walk and right about at eye level. I've spent hours jsut wating them, blowign on them to see their reaction, etc. :D Unfortunately sometimes I do have to take them down because there's only so many times I can remember to duck when I walk by....I just take a hold of the string of web they're hanging from and place them somewhere else.

So yes, many blessings. And there have been times when I'm in so much pain and need a distraction but cannot get on the computer, and I pray for help, and in that moment I hear the rain begin on my roof. :)

That is such a testimony to the power of prayer and just trusting that God will supply all your needs right in that moment.

I must say though, I'm not a fan of spiders (never have been) so if I walked into my room and came face to face with a spider, I would probably freak out. :)

One thing that I often enjoy (though it is very rare that this happens), is when a bird flies quickly toward one of my bedroom windows and clings onto the screen on the outside. Though this has happened only a few times, it still brings such joy to my heart and God knows it. It's almost like God is saying, "I know you love it when these little birds come and I wanted you to know that I love you so much and will never leave you. Hence the little birds coming to visit." It brings such joy and I'm so thankful for that!

Carrigon

I still try to be optimistic, sometimes. It's just getting harder. But I try to see the blessings I do have. I have seen God work miracles in my life. I don't know why we go through the things we go through, or why things for so many people in this world just seem to keep getting worse and worse. But sometimes, if you look around, you can still see miracles God has worked for you.

Nielk

Besides appreciating and feeling closer to nature since my illness, my biggest blessing are some people I have met
traveling down this road.

Whether it is other patients or medical. alternative healers, I have met amazing people who otherwise I would have never known.

Many of them have inspired me with their example or with their compassion.

I am very grateful for that.

Nielk

Enid

So very much comes up with this awful illness, perhaps when so so debilated and well aware of "functional" failures one can still enjoy the overlooked and simple by the well. Be it he joy of primroses in the Spring which they cannot see - how often one has to cheer the well (including my GP).

Daffodil

this illness has changed the relationship between my mother and i completely. i used to be a selfish, angry, vengeful person and now i am totally different. if the suffering was just a little less, i would even say i am glad i got sick.

Timaca

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses....from the blessings of observation (instead of doing), to enjoying spiders, to meeting fantastic people (I have some great doctors helping me), to restoring relationships....thank you all for sharing.

I am grateful for the compassion I've learned through this illness. I would not have believed this illness if I had not gone through it, so I'm now much more compassionate towards others. I am grateful for God's encouragement towards me. He will often send me "pennies from heaven" (pennies that I find), just when I need to be encouraged. I've also seen how His timing has been so perfect in this illness. And He has sent miracles along the way that convince me that He is involved.

Because of this illness, I've written a book that will be out soon (all proceeds will go to organizations that study and help with Infection Associated CFS). See my book's website: www.whensomethingswrong.com. I never would have written this book without having been ill. I've also worked on a couple of projects with my doctors that will benefit others....so I am grateful to help in that way.

However, it is hard when I've been feeling better, only to relapse some. We think we know what is going on, but it doesn't make it any easier to go backwards. God did give me this verse this past week which has helped me (I paraphrased it some :)

"Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God....is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of IA-CFS of the Lord is finished." 1 Chronicles 28:20

May God continue to hold all of us in His loving arms and may we all be encouraged that He is near.

Best, Timaca

I enjoyed reading everyone's responses....from the blessings of observation (instead of doing), to enjoying spiders, to meeting fantastic people (I have some great doctors helping me), to restoring relationships....thank you all for sharing.

I am grateful for the compassion I've learned through this illness. I would not have believed this illness if I had not gone through it, so I'm now much more compassionate towards others. I am grateful for God's encouragement towards me. He will often send me "pennies from heaven" (pennies that I find), just when I need to be encouraged. I've also seen how His timing has been so perfect in this illness. And He has sent miracles along the way that convince me that He is involved.

Because of this illness, I've written a book that will be out soon (all proceeds will go to organizations that study and help with Infection Associated CFS). See my book's website: www.whensomethingswrong.com. I never would have written this book without having been ill. I've also worked on a couple of projects with my doctors that will benefit others....so I am grateful to help in that way.

However, it is hard when I've been feeling better, only to relapse some. We think we know what is going on, but it doesn't make it any easier to go backwards. God did give me this verse this past week which has helped me (I paraphrased it some :)

"Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God....is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of IA-CFS of the Lord is finished." 1 Chronicles 28:20

May God continue to hold all of us in His loving arms and may we all be encouraged that He is near.

Best, Timaca

Timaca, I was very encouraged as well by reading your post!

It's funny that you mention "pennies from heaven" because several years ago, before I became ill, my family and I had heard of a story about a girl who really believed that God had left her. So she asked Him to show her a sign, which just happened to be leaving pennies for her to find, that she might know He is there. Once we finished hearing of the story, we found ourselves find pennies everywhere!! And in mass amounts too!
I'm so thankful for those pennies and for knowing that, no matter what, God is always going to be there and love me unconditionally.

May God bless you today Timaca!

GracieJ

I call them Valentines from heaven.

The most frequent one I see, and I see it everywhere, is the good old abbreviation for I love you - from texting and Internet shorthand, 143. It shows up on license plates just as I am pulling up behind, or just as they turn and the plate is in my line of sight. It shows up on school buses, FedEx trucks, mail trucks, etc. It is on light posts, electrical boxes, road signs, mileage markers just as I notice. Hotel/motel rooms. Everywhere. What are the odds? I laugh and smile every time I see it. Family laughs at me - until I point it out each time. It is everywhere I go.

I chose the screen name Gracie for two reasons. It is taken from Gracie Allen, whose life I admire and whose hardships I relate to well. It is Gracie, to remind me all the time how great a role God's grace plays in my life every day, every moment.

Sea

I am grateful for my wonderful husband and children. I am blessed to live in a country where I am not in poverty despite the poor attitude of many towards the illness we suffer.

I call them Valentines from heaven.

The most frequent one I see, and I see it everywhere, is the good old abbreviation for I love you - from texting and Internet shorthand, 143. It shows up on license plates just as I am pulling up behind, or just as they turn and the plate is in my line of sight. It shows up on school buses, FedEx trucks, mail trucks, etc. It is on light posts, electrical boxes, road signs, mileage markers just as I notice. Hotel/motel rooms. Everywhere. What are the odds? I laugh and smile every time I see it. Family laughs at me - until I point it out each time. It is everywhere I go.

I chose the screen name Gracie for two reasons. It is taken from Gracie Allen, whose life I admire and whose hardships I relate to well. It is Gracie, to remind me all the time how great a role God's grace plays in my life every day, every moment.

His grace is everywhere! And I so don't deserve it.
Thank you for sharing your story! You just wait, the abbreviation for I love you will be popping up in my life now too. :)

Tammy

I am blessed to have a neighbor and friend who helps me out whenever I need it. His name is Joe and I've never had a greater supporter through this illness than him. I will always be grateful for his help.

Mr. Cat

I am blessed to have enjoyable part-time work and affordable accommodation, allowing me to support myself, and to not have to hustle to make money at the expense of my body.

I am blessed in that this is a disease in which (for me) symptoms are always changing. Though they may sometimes get worse, they also can and do get better.

I am blessed in that CFS has forced me to quit striving and achieving, and explore the quality of non-efforting, which there is no way I would have done to such a degree without this disease. I think CFS has given me a deeper awareness of my mind/body, as I have to track both for signs of fatigue, and other ways that things are not going well.

I am blessed to have found Phoenix Rising when I did. Without the things I learned on here, I would be in a pretty sorry state.

I am blessed that my condition has improved to the degree that I can now read and meditate again.

I gotta keep it real, though - on the whole, CFS is pretty shitty! :)

Last edited: