• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bit of a lull in the Freddd protocol

Johnmac

I noticed some great changes after staring the Freddd protocol (FP) last October:

Stabler gut
Brainfog gone
Less sleep
Much higher energy
Much better blood-sugar response
Psoriasis faded somewhat
Gained 3 kg (I'm skinny)
High libido
Halved my hydrocortisone dose
Much improved motor skills, mental functioning
Better exercise tolerance

Then I began having problems with anxiety, which took me 3+ months to resolve. (It was carnitine, so I began titrating liquid carnitine up from tiny doses, which is working well.)

I also got hit by massive reflux & gut problems - resolved via betaine hydrochloride.

With all that finally under control (March), I noticed my original FP improvements had largely dissipated (despite still being on the protocol).

So I got some DHEA. This normalised blood-sugar & sleep, & raised energy to its highest-ever point. I could also chelate heavy metals with ALA without any sfx.

A couple of the less important FP improvements (psoriasis, libido) have gone; moreover the present improvements are from DHEA, not the FP.

For half a year I've been on low daily FP doses:

Metafolin 600 mg
mB12 1.5 to 3 mg
liquid carnitine 1500 mcg
a Dibencoplex AboCbl 10g tablet every few days

I still have plenty of faith in the protocol: those initial changes were very striking.

Any idea what I should do next?

whodathunkit

Increase your folate and be prepared to tweak other nutrients (mB12, potassium, zinc, etc.) around that.

My understanding is that increasing folate until your system has all it needs is the way to progress here. Without increasing your doses you may not see any more improvement. And there will still be lots of ups and downs.

At least, increasing is what worked for me. Others' mileage may vary.

caledonia

It sounds like you still have adrenal issues (based on needing to take betaine and DHEA). I believe ALA just chelates mercury. It's possible you could have other metals such as lead or aluminium which also block methylation.

What about magnesium and other co-factors?

A Doctor's Data Toxic Metals and Essential Elements provoked urine test could be helpful for debugging.

I have a document called Roadblocks to Successful Methylation Treatment in my links (see my signature below), which could be a helpful checklist of what else to try.

pogoman

Halved my hydrocortisone dose .......

So I got some DHEA.....

A couple of the less important FP improvements (psoriasis, libido) have gone; moreover the present improvements are from DHEA, not the FP.

any kind of corticosteroid meds like hydrocortisone are going to promote hypogonadism effects in males.
DHEA will help but I do not think its something you should take long term unless a doctor is monitoring it.

whodathunkit

I agree with @pogoman about DHEA. It can do wonky things. For example, in a body with an overabundance of estrogen it can convert to excess testosterone, and in an overabundance of testosterone it can convert to estrogen.

I believe DHEA greatly exacerbated my hair loss. I am genetically predisposed to it and it got much worse very quickly when I self-medicated with DHEA as an experiment. And I wasn't even taking anywhere near the recommended dose. Worth noting is that I was very estrogen dominant at the time, according to my symptoms.

There are few things I am loathe to do or try without proper medical supervision, but DHEA is one of them.

Last edited:

Johnmac

Thanks for the responses.

@whodathunkit:

"My understanding is that increasing folate until your system has all it needs is the way to progress here."

Why? I.e. why methylfolate exactly? (Previously, increasing methylfolate relative to mB12 increased anxiety.)

I apparently don't recycle mb12 too well (MTRR) and use it up quickly when I get some (MTR). So I've been assuming I need a fair bit more mB12, relatively.

@caledonia:

ALA chelates mercury & arsenic. I'm taking DMSA for lead. Aluminium generally comes out on its own once you clear the mercury.

I have taken plenty of Mg on the FP. I am taking a shelf full of DQ co-factors.

Cutler believes the hair test is best for HMs, & I've had the hair test. I get mercury symptoms when I chelate, which is actually the best test.

@pogoman: I'd be dead by now if I saw doctors. My friends & I have been on hydrocortisone & DHEA for some years, with no ill effects.

I suppose I'm wondering whether I should raise doses of the DQs? I think I recall @Freddd saying that you increase once the good effects of the original dose start to diminish.

Thanks to all...

whodathunkit

Why? I.e. why methylfolate exactly? (Previously, increasing methylfolate relative to mB12 increased anxiety.)
@Johnmac, I'm not an expert. You asked for advice on what you could do next to improve, and I told you what worked for me. I never said increasing would be trouble free...in fact, I said "...there will still be lots of ups and downs." FWIW, when increasing the DQ I had problems with anxiety and jitteriness for some months before it calmed down.

For an explanation as to *why* increasing dosage of mfolate and co-factors works, you'll have to research and read what @Freddd has to say about it. It's been a while since I've gone over it and I frankly don't remember all the why's and wherefores. You might also try reading the documents linked in @ahmo's signature.

I'm not saying increasing mfolate is what you should do...do it only if you're comfortable with it. But it is what worked for me and others. Like you, I had a good initial reaction to Freddd's protocol before I crashed with it the first time. But the good initial reaction gave me the motivation to stick with it through the ups and downs. It took a year before everything really evened out, and my top dosage for mfolate was 40mg/day. Now I'm on 5mg/day and doing fine.

As always, YMMV.

Good luck!

Johnmac

@Johnmac, I'm not an expert.

You always say that @whodathunkit.

Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!

Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity.

Brian: What? Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right! I am the Messiah!

Followers: He is! He is the Messiah!

You asked for advice on what you could do next to improve, and I told you what worked for me. I never said increasing would be trouble free...in fact, I said "...there will still be lots of ups and downs." FWIW, when increasing the DQ I had problems with anxiety and jitteriness for some months before it calmed down.

For an explanation as to *why* increasing dosage of mfolate and co-factors works, you'll have to research and read what @Freddd has to say about it. It's been a while since I've gone over it and I frankly don't remember all the why's and wherefores. You might also try reading the documents linked in @ahmo's signature.

I'm not saying increasing mfolate is what you should do...do it only if you're comfortable with it. But it is what worked for me and others. Like you, I had a good initial reaction to Freddd's protocol before I crashed with it the first time. But the good initial reaction gave me the motivation to stick with it through the ups and downs. It took a year before everything really evened out, and my top dosage for mfolate was 40mg/day. Now I'm on 5mg/day and doing fine....

I can't afford any more anxiety & jitteriness, as I've already been thru lots of it, + numerous bad crashes. I've decided that's it.

And DHEA has nicely restored my energy & functioning.

M-folate isn't the one that has the good effects for me - has increased anxiety. Seems like mB12 is the one for me if anything, tho it's probably a combination.

I suppose that seeing this is called a "protocol", I was wondering if people knew what next step the protocol prescribes. Maybe it's more individual than that.

Thanks & all the best...

whodathunkit

@Johnmac: To be clear: increasing mfolate is pretty much the next prescribed step from where you are.

But it is VERY MUCH an individual thing. If you find yourself at an impasse with the prescribed course of action, and can't or won't take it, then it's time to improvise based on what you know, learn some new things, or accept that you've gone as far as you can (with anything, but in this case with the DQ).

LOL @ the Life of Brian quote. ;) Take the "-iah" off the end of the word "Messiah" and yep, you got me! :D

Johnmac

@whodathunkit , the quote was my strange way of saying that IMO you know quite a bit & have been very helpful.

I'm in the unexpected state of functioning pretty well - tho it's mostly due to DHEA. Does that mean I should count my blessings & leave good enough alone; or does it mean I should push ahead with the @Freddd protocol & see if that allows me to come off the adrenal hormones?

Probably the latter. I'll soon raise all DQs & see what happens. It's been like that from the start anyway.

Johnmac

I've also heard it said that the true messiah never directly answers the question - because s/he wants the questioner to figure it out for himself.

Which I did. The Freddd Protocol has been what I needed. I've scaled down DHEA (& also T3 for thyroid) since posting the above - now to zero. Hydrocortisone is near-zero - that'll be next. (When the Freddd Protocol works, it really works.)