1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Leptin
Andrew Gladman reflects upon the recent IACFS/ME conference and the buzz surrounding a small molecule, leptin.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Biovista and CAA identify candidate drug for repurposing

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Looking at the graph on page 43, I think it suggests that perhaps they're not looking at any drugs that work on dopamine, such as anti-psychotics.

From my interpretation of their slides, I think that anti-depressants and anti-psychotics might be a red-herring, and they maybe looking for drugs that have the opposite effects of both anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

So my earlier rambling post looks like it could be a load of nonsense (sorry about that.)
    Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is on their list of drugs that causes exhaustion and chronic fatigue. (page 44.)
    But Amisulpride isn't on their list.

Looking at slides 44 & 45, I assume that they would be avoiding any drug that causes any 'exhaustion' or 'chronic fatigue' as a side effect.
    It seems that the only drug on their lists that doesn't cause exhaustion, or chronic fatigue, is Reminyl (galantamine), an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor, used to treat (mild to moderate) Alzheimer's disease. (It works by slowing the breakdown of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter.) Wikipedia says that it's also used to treat various other memory impairments, in particular those of vascular origin.
    (Superficially, this does seem appropriate, for both the memory and vascular issues.)

But this is pure speculation again, and probably unhelpful, as I'm probably barking up the wrong tree. They just haven't given us enough information to know what they are getting up to.
    Valentijn likes this.
  2. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Aricept also slows the breakdown of acetylcholine, which is why it is helpful in "mild" dementias.

Our speculation may not be valuable so much in terms of correct guessing as it is helpful in teaching us more about biological or neurological pathways, various drugs, etc. We are sort of like a school for each other. I learn thought processes too here.

Thank you, everyone!
    WillowJ, Bob and SOC like this.
  3. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    We can probably keep this guessing game going until they *actually* make the announcement. A 30 day waiting period is practically nothing compared to how long the wait can be for new studies to come out, etc.
  4. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    There was a presentation at the Rocky Mountain ME/CFS Fibro Association over the weekend with Suzanne Vernon and Lucinda Bateman. My informant tells me that Suzanne discussed the mysterious candidate drug combo, which they are not yet able to name, and said they were medications already in use for "pain and sleep." That's all she would say, & it's not much, but still it's a tiny bit more than we knew before.
    Nielk, SpecialK82 and Firestormm like this.
  5. urbantravels

Los Angeles, CA
    Oh, and that they intend to hold the proof-of-concept trial in early 2014.
    SpecialK82 and Firestormm like this.
  6. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA

Bleah. I'm inclined to think "Big effing deal" since most of us are already taking meds for pain and sleep. It may be a marketing coup for the drug company, but not anything new for us.

OTOH, any drug marketed specifically for us gives us street cred, so maybe it's worthwhile in that regard.
  7. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    yes, I'm thinking this is important regardless of how useful the drug ends up being (Lyrica isn't exactly very useful for treating fibro, but it's helped legitimize the disease)
    SOC likes this.
  8. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Any word on this medication yet?
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    Nothing that I have heard and I'd expect a rather LOUD announcement if there had been :)
  10. knackers323

I wonder how long we are going to be made to wait for this?
  11. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    It may even be a few years if we have to wait for the 2014 trial results to be published.
  12. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

I heard that they are still going through the IND process (investigative new drug) which is required before they start trials. Once that is finalized I think they can release the name of the meds they're studying. I've heard another IND from another sponsor is also in the works.
    SOC, Kati, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  13. knackers323

Who knows someone in wikileaks?
    readyforlife and Kati like this.

See more popular forum discussions.