• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biotoxin/Mold Illness

jenbooks

Ok, I hear you. After a bad night of three hours sleep from bladder burning. PMS and fabric softener.

Anyway I too had to get out or die. I didn't just have one leak. I had eleven in two years. Two were actual floods. Bursting pipes. All due to gut renovation on a 1931 prewar to turn most of it to luxury condo and make a killing -- and they did in both senses of the word. They made obscene money and they killed some people. My place was completely destroyed for my safety. And it was a two bedroom rent regulated in the UWS across from the park and river in a doorman bldg -- an apartment a NY writer would dream of. And never ever ever ever leave.

And I'm nowhere a year later except a lot wiser about my condition and reactivities.

I'm not on board with agent x ie Cyanobacteria as an outdoor biotoxin poisoning whole areas. I've never experienced anything remotely like that. And I've been to ground zero, the much reviled toxic heap known as Texas, and found a number of areas that were really healthy. And that state is so large I didn't see much of it -- such as big bend or Amarillo.

I do think buildings are bad, get such mold. Buildings are a disaster. The materials and construction are ludicrous. And a very new house is extremely toxic. Perhaps it can be a transition for you. But a brand new house is too toxic.

I remember your sisters story. I've recently talked to several people who were mold and mcs, went to Rae clinic, got rid of homes and all belongings, remained sick, slept in cars, got EMF who were totally healed by God and/or quantum EMF techniques. How the HOLA (to use dreambirdies word) that works I don't know. But for some it works.

jenbooks

PS I do think Dallas Ft Worth is awful. Pollution, stachy buildings to the point the whole city seems toxic, lots of fracking. It's a cesspool even driving thru and does have biotoxins I believe stachy.

And I do think being an hour outside of a big city is important. Pollution in Atlanta, San Antonio, Austin and I'm sure LA, Miami, Houston, Chicago etcetera etc is just really bad. You can smell and taste it. The horizon is a brown haze.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Ok, I hear you. After a bad night of three hours sleep from bladder burning. PMS and fabric softener.

I'm not on board with agent x ie Cyanobacteria as an outdoor biotoxin poisoning whole areas. I've never experienced anything remotely like that. And I've been to ground zero, the much reviled toxic heap known as Texas, and found a number of areas that were really healthy. And that state is so large I didn't see much of it -- such as big bend or Amarillo.

I do think buildings are bad, get such mold. Buildings are a disaster. The materials and construction are ludicrous. And a very new house is extremely toxic. Perhaps it can be a transition for you. But a brand new house is too toxic.

Hi JB--

Sorry you had a bad night. Me too. I used a different laundry soap than I am used to on all my bedding yesterday, and woke up totally congested and brain weary as a result.

Like you, I don't buy the Cyanobacteria biotoxin poisoning entire towns and entire states. Where is the evidence for that? Has it actually been sampled and measured? If not, then isn't that a rather drastic assessment to come up with, based at least partly on the fact that people eat a lot of sugar and junk food in those areas? and that sugar consumption has something to do with aiding the mitochondria during mold/biotoxin over-exposure?

Also the conclusion about "MCS being much worse in CA than in the rest of the US" ... is not really a statistically proven fact. Most of the US is rather ultra conservative (hello Sarah Palin lovers!), and not exactly oriented towards the kind of alternative health care that caters to those with MCS... which one would be MUCH more likely to find in CA. Based on that, wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume (if we're going to make any assumptions at all) that many people with MCS actually COME HERE to find the help they need and AREN'T GETTING in other parts of the country?

In addition, I also have a problem with Lisa's long list of symptoms, which she attributes exclusively to mold and biotoxin poisoning. I have seen other long (and similarly very all inclusive) symptom lists like hers for conditions attributed to: hypo-thyroidism, estrogen dominance, candida overgrowth, parasites, MCS, and B12 deficiency (which I will discuss momentarily). I have no doubt that Lisa herself had these symptoms and found relief from them through her mold avoidance agenda. But... whether it is logically sound to draw from one's own limited personal experience a scientific-sort of theory that concludes (or implies to conclude) that this is the ROOT CAUSE of certain people's CFS.... I really have to express my doubts on that. If CFS patients are IN FACT a heterogenous group, then wouldn't it be wiser to consider that mold could be ONE of the causes of such symptoms, ONE of the issues that would be helpful to address, and not THE big most absolute ONE?

Some of Lisa's reasoning reminds me so much of Fredddd's and his B12 agenda. Like Lisa, he had remarkable results with his particular B12 regimen. And also like Lisa, he tends to use his analytically oriented thinking to prove that his subjective results are the ONE right thing for everyone.... which they clearly haven't been. I suppose that on one level that's just human nature. When we reap huge benefits from something that helps us recover our health like nothing else before it ever has, then it makes sense that we would want to share it and pass it on. But then, on the other, when one's own personal agenda becomes a rigid theory or even a kind of dogma, then I think it's really wise to shine a light on that and question all aspects of it that don't ring true.

soulfeast

Lisa are you associating the ? with drainfields? Curious because we did not have ours cleaned out when we should have.

We also had mold growing in the toilet bowl, which would not be coming from the sewer. The water was not chlorinated.. well water.. so maybe an explanation.

We def had stachy and from a dust analysis ERMI I can tell you what molds were found.

What about the mold stew that Shoemaker and Dr Thrasher talk about.

Shoemaker does emphasize a glutamate/gaba imbalance and my go into some detail in his pdfs. So I am getting excess glutamates from any biotoxin exposure. So...

That might explain why some people in the same house or area do not have the sensory storm while others do?? If its not caused by an ? substance rather a shift in weather or even if caused by an ? substance.

What if barometric pressure does something specifically to glutamates that are already in the system?

It makes sense to focus on controlling the sensory storm (from glutamates.. so a glutamate storm?) with supps when a flare happens.. I used klonapin in my old house and it worked within 30 minutes.. that and drinking lots of water.. possibly helped.

We did recently have the sewere back up in this new house, whether change about the same time.. so hard to tell if picking causes.. what about the toxins we poop out.. they are in the sewer system. Maybe they react with each other.. ??

The ? in Lake Tahoe area, Trukee. this caused the CFS or the stachy did since the stachy is associated with teh mito damage, etc? and the ? bascially with the sensory storm which does involve the heart.. Yasko commented to me about this with glutamates.. they are associated with certain heart issues.

My glutamates are sky high as per last test.

soulfeast

I know of others as well. So yeah it does happen. As confounding as it is and frustrating at times, it gives me hope that sometimes the there may be more to this than focusing on the problem intellecutally. At the same time obviously waiting around for a miracle healing is a bit impractical to say the least.. makes me at least keep in mind some sort of balance, which is diff for me to do.

Im betting she had sensory storms if they cause dysautonomia and ANS to go absolutley nuts to the point of dangerous.

I remember your sisters story. I've recently talked to several people who were mold and mcs, went to Rae clinic, got rid of homes and all belongings, remained sick, slept in cars, got EMF who were totally healed by God and/or quantum EMF techniques. How the HOLA (to use dreambirdies word) that works I don't know. But for some it works.

soulfeast

Regarding mold as THE problem.. I dont think I would be sick if it were not for the mold exposure unless xmrv can cause the shoemaker markers.. I read on the Deckoff update that she is monitoring c4a, c3and TGF-b1.. is this because of xmrv or mold?

My husband has lyme and a 'dreaded' shoemaker gene and is fine. He was not in our house as often as I was and went outside often. His methylation markers are cleaner than mine going by my daughters results and did not have the heavy pestcide exposure I had as a child, nor dare I say, the trauma I had as a child and young adult.

So the mold and possibly the ? were in his picture as well.. ?? There are other factors.. Im not sure Lisa is saying there are not though.

soulfeast

I am trying to keep an open mind either way. I can only know what I know. I had stachy and other toxic molds in my house.. there is also the mold or wet building damage stew that Dr Thrasher refers to and Shoemaker made a point to emphasize in his latest PDF.

My biotoxin markers indicate biotoxin illness.. are these exclusive to biotoxin exposure?

I got sicker as the mold grew.. I also may have lyme. I did not have a viral onset to CFS.

I have the "dreaded gene" but so does my husband who also has lyme and is not sick.

I do have these sensory storms.

I was reacting horribly directly to the dust in my house with the sensory storm like symptoms.

I have had more reactions since I moved to new house (chems)

I am reacting more.. but to what> its not clear.

Unless you see the mold or ? and can analyze it.. you dont know for sure.. you have to assume, so this should be worded and taken as it is.. speculation and sometimes direct evidence based correlation, right?

I3) It is my opinion and mine only that it is illogical for someone that has not achieved adequate sensitivity to biotoxins (i.e. sensitivity to chemicals) and is therefore able to correlate biotoxin avoidance with symptom changes to assume what the role of biotoxins is, whether the assumption is that it is the big kahuna or just one of many. Just because an assumption is the more conservative one does not make it "wiser". I think it is much wiser to not assume until one has adequate knowledge to assume.

dannybex

Hello all,

Been wanting to comment for days, but have been too sick, so just want to ask this a couple quick questions of Lisa and/or anyone who has the info:

1. Did anyone else from the Incline Village Outbreak try the mold avoidance like Erik did? The flip of that question is, has anyone else from Incline Village recovered anywhere from 70-90%?

2. Does anyone have an estimate of how many people have followed a strict mold avoidance protocol similar to Erik's?

I'm not in any way suggesting that mold -- at least the 'bad' mold(?) -- is not a problem and shouldn't be considered as a suspect -- just wondering more about statistics here.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

zzzzzzzz......klunk.

soulfeast

at times, I find this subject extremely frustating though I am doing my best to practice mold avoidance..

How do you know you are reacting to mold or ? and that ? is a mold or biotoxin?

You can certainly measure symptoms to a location or weather changes, winds, etc, but what is in that? You cant know.

You can see mold and thats a clue. You can test the mold for what kind.

If you have a group in one location, a wind comes through, barometric pressure drops.. or a group going through a particular city or area of one.. same symptoms flare.. thats a sign. but of what? Something triggered.. you can probably safely assume environmental but where do you go from that to a biotoxin unless there are certain precise measures you are using?

Scientifically.. you have to make a clear assumpton or hypothesis and set your measures of effect...

Shoemaker uses measures that can be observed in the blood.. the biomarkers. He sees them consistantly.

How would you lay this out scienfically.. some measures? This will occur when this happens.. ??

floydguy

Mold Exposure

One thing that Nancy Klimas had me to do which was quite revealing was to monitor my heart rate. I started doing way more than she wanted but it did show me how sensitive my body is. I couldn't always figure out everything that was causing the heart rate to go up but I was shocked to see what a difference caffeine had. I think Lisa has used this method in the past as a possible indicator.

I agree with Joey in the difference between mold and chemicals. My experience with chemicals is that I will literally pass out when exposed (Napthalene for example). Mold on the other hand is often much more subtle than a chemical exposure. It's funny smells don't bother me and I dont get headaches, coughs or a lot of the other typical things with either mold or chemical exposure. For me it does seem to be all about a massive inflammatory response.

slayadragon

I am not asserting that what I'm saying has any validity at all. I am relaying what I and others have observed and our tentative hypotheses about what we have observed.

My agenda is not to get anyone to try extreme avoidance. It is to get researchers to pay attention to the phenomena that I and others have experienced and observed, in the hope that we can learn more about the illness.

Insofar as we learn more about the illness, better treatments (including ones that do not involve avoidance) may be more likely to be developed. I believe that more knowledge is better than less knowledge, whether or not it results in an immediate "cure" for the illness.

Getting researchers to pay more attention to the phenomena has been Erik's sole goal in life since 1980 (five years before the Incline Village epidemic). I think that this is the right goal, and I am following his lead.

I'm about finished with posting on this board, I think. I've accomplished my core goals here, which are to gather a bunch of smart people to discuss these issues on other forums, to get a few people to bring up these issues to their doctors, and to identify some people who have (mostly) recovered from this illness in any sorts of ways. I'm now moving toward presenting the materials directly to doctors/researchers rather than spending time presenting the ideas to patients.

Whether any patients try extreme avoidance or any other kind of avoidance is not an issue of concern to me. We already have a good number of cases of people who were extremely sick with documented ME/CFS who have been raised to substantial health (as great as has been reported in any length of time after the use of stem cells, Ampligen, antiretrovirals or anything else) within a couple of months (or in some cases a couple of weeks) of proper avoidance. This has to be done precisely in order for it to work, and so anyone who does it in a non-committed way (e.g. getting rid of some but not all possessions exposed to a bad residence) is not of much use to me in accomplishing my goals.

I certainly would encourage people to move from overtly moldy residences to better ones. If they are experiencing severe symptoms that I believe are associated with the particularly bad outdoor biotoxin that I have frequently named the "?", I would encourage them to do a trial where they put aside all (not some) of their contaminated possessions and spend a few weeks in a location that some of us have found to be good. It is my belief that this "?" is dangerous enough (at least to sufferers of ME/CFS) that it results in extreme suffering of the sort that some individuals who have been only moderately affected by this illness (or related illnesses such as Lyme or MCS) cannot come close to fathoming. Insofar as life is that horrible, it seems to me that taking a shot at whatever sort of treatment -- whether it be stem cells or ARV's or this -- might be worth considering.

However, people are welcome to do what they like. I'm not responsible for their suffering. Nor is Erik or anyone else who has discussed this topic in public. Again, my goal is for treatments of whatever sort that work to be developed. (This includes such things as antiretrovirals, by the way. I have repeatedly championed the importance of what Jamie Deckoff-Jones is doing. The information that her experiences are generating is just as important as that generated by anyone pursuing biotoxin avoidance.)

I can't speak to the recovery rate of the Incline Village cohort. If any patients can be found who have (mostly) recovered -- or if any ME/CFS patients anywhere can be found who have (mostly) recovered -- I would like to interview them as part of the project that I am doing with Dr. Keith Berndtson regarding the various factors that seem to be of particular importance in this illness. If anyone has any candidates, please write to me at slayadragon at yahoo.

Below are some observations that Erik made about the Incline Village cohort. Insofar as people addressed mold, I have no evidence that anyone pursued it in anything more than a moderate way (e.g. moving out of a moldy house). However, just a few months ago, a member of this board (disabled for a couple of years) came to me and described how he had read Erik talk about avoidance on another board in 2004. He followed Erik's suggestion of discarding his stuff and moving to a good place, then (after this unmasking) gradually figured out on his own a very high percentage of the techniques that Erik describes in his book. This individual went back to school and became a lawyer, and has been working full-time in that field ever since.

So conceivably there are people in the Incline Village cohort who figured this out on their own too but have not made their experiences public. Quite frankly, people would have to be pretty nuts to get well through this method and then spend their time trying to get people to pay attention to it in order to encourage researchers to do a better job developing treatments to help other people who are unable or unwilling to follow this approach. I myself am doing discussing it only because I think it is something that has broadscale meaning, and my belief is that Erik is doing that as well.

RE Soulfeast's questions:

>Lisa are you associating the ? with drainfields? Curious because we did not have ours cleaned out when we should have.

I've yet to hear of that. The only incident I've heard of is Erik's having encountered it in a drainage ditch where fire retardant had been spilled. We have occasionally encountered it in places that previously have experienced forest fires, so our hypothesis is that it is associated with fire retardants as well as some chemical(s) present in sewers. I have no proof of any of this, and am bringing it up only in the hope that researchers will make an effort to consider our reports in a rigorous scientific way.

>We also had mold growing in the toilet bowl, which would not be coming from the sewer. The water was not chlorinated.. well water.. so maybe an explanation.

That sounds like some regular mold, likely not a very toxic one.

Our vague hypothesis (based on just a few anecdotal reports) is that when the "?" is present inside buildings, it may at least sometimes be due to the presence of sewage in those buildings. I don't have enough reports yet to state conclusively that this is something that even I have any confidence in.

>We def had stachy and from a dust analysis ERMI I can tell you what molds were found. What about the mold stew that Shoemaker and Dr Thrasher talk about.

I feel confident (based on the literature) that Shoemaker and Thrasher are correct that the "stew" of various organisms in water-damaged buildings are worse than any single type of organism. Stachy seems specifically related to ME/CFS, according to anecdotal reports as well as the similarity of symptoms. However, since mixed colonies are usual, it is difficult to know how much of an impact other organisms have. Hopefully researchers will look into this issue more.

>Shoemaker does emphasize a glutamate/gaba imbalance and my go into some detail in his pdfs. So I am getting excess glutamates from any biotoxin exposure. So...

I've yet to see any studies suggesting that Stachy or any other type of toxic mold is related to glutamate/GABA issues. That doesn't mean it's not the case, however.

>That might explain why some people in the same house or area do not have the sensory storm while others do?? If its not caused by an ? substance rather a shift in weather or even if caused by an ? substance.

The question of why certain people are influenced by biotoxins while other people are not (overtly) is a key one that I hope researchers will consider.

>What if barometric pressure does something specifically to glutamates that are already in the system?

It is our strong belief that biotoxins in the air are affected by barometric pressure changes. This is because we experience the effect only in certain areas (e.g. Truckee, California). In areas that are pristine (e.g. Death Valley, California) we never experience periods of reactivity when the barometer is changing.

That doesn't mean that no one experiences internal changes as a result of barometric pressure changes though.

>It makes sense to focus on controlling the sensory storm (from glutamates.. so a glutamate storm?) with supps when a flare happens.. I used klonapin in my old house and it worked within 30 minutes.. that and drinking lots of water.. possibly helped.

Glutamate reactions have been observed as a result of various cyanobacteria, including those producing a chemical called domoic acid off the coast of California. Sea otters experiencing these reactions have been treated with mild success with benzos. They seem to be of some benefit in ME/CFS as well. However, those individuals who suffer severe sensory storms on a regular basis likely will tell you that benzos are of limited effect, as are other treatments.

We have found avoidance to be 100% effective against sensory storms. However, until researchers look at the phenomenon, there is no particular reason why anyone should believe us on that.

>We did recently have the sewer back up in this new house, whether change about the same time.. so hard to tell if picking causes.. what about the toxins we poop out.. they are in the sewer system. Maybe they react with each other.. ??

This is the first I've heard of this, and so I don't know what to say about it. It's hard to figure out things long distance, but Stormy and I will continue to work with you on her board to see if we can make any progress in understanding your situation.

>The ? in Lake Tahoe area, Trukee. this caused the CFS or the stachy did since the stachy is associated with teh mito damage, etc? and the ? bascially with the sensory storm which does involve the heart.. Yasko commented to me about this with glutamates.. they are associated with certain heart issues.

Stachy causes oxidative stress, which tends to be associated with mitochondrial damage. Glutamate problems tend to be associated with heart issues. Again, our hypothesis is that the glutamate is associated with the "?" rather than with the Stachy. I have no evidence of this beyond our own observations and reactions, and hope that researchers will consider the topic in the near future.

>Regarding mold as THE problem.. I dont think I would be sick if it were not for the mold exposure unless xmrv can cause the shoemaker markers.. I read on the Deckoff update that she is monitoring c4a, c3and TGF-b1.. is this because of xmrv or mold?

My current hypothesis is that XMRV and other pathogens increase our reactivity to at least Stachy and other toxic molds, as a result of the increased propensity of the system to experience inflammation. I don't yet have a sense of whether those pathogens make the glutamate reactions worse. My own single anecdotal experience is that Valcyte/Famvir have decreased my reactivity to Stachy and other indoor biotoxins to the point where they present almost no limitations on my life whatsoever. Unfortunately, my reactivity to the "?" is almost as high as it ever was.

Whether ARV's will decrease reactivity to the "?" and decrease the glutamate reactivity remains to be seen. And of course, no one should generalize from a single case. It's possible that my own reactivity to indoor biotoxins may have decreased due to something else I did (e.g. detoxification, neural therapy or candida treatment). Formal research trials are needed.

I hope this is helpful in answering some of the questions here. In the event that I don't return to this board (or do so with the intention of discussing other things besides biotoxins), those who have further questions are welcome to write to me.

Cordially,

Lisa (slaydragon at yahoo)

Remember the "Marathon Runner" that Dr. Peterson said "can't walk to the corner anymore"?

When I walked in front of her house, there was a consistent mold plume that knocked me flat - bad enough that I had to avoid that area.

Remember the "Tennis Pro" mentioned in Osler's Web?

I checked out his apartment at the racquet club. It was a grand slam.

Remember the "Champion Swimmer" who was in the Ampligen program?

After I educated Dr. Peterson about mold and he saw my recovery, he finally had her move out of her moldy house.

Remember the "Psychoneuroimmunology" experiment with Bill Collinge?

Another member of the original cohort who was there with me moved away and recovered somewhat - until he started working at a moldy casino and relapsed.

The "Crop Duster" pilot who blamed the OP pesticides he was spraying?

He fell apart whenever the wind blows from the moldy section of town and was calling the city council trying to find out what they know about this phenomenon.

This, of course, is in addition to the teachers and basketball team at Truckee who started the whole CFS deal.

I'm a graduate of Truckee HS and those were my teachers, and yes, that school was a slammer. Still is.

And then the small cluster at North Tahoe HS, which had a Stachy colony immediately adjacent to the teachers who became ill.

The size of the colony was about "the diameter of a baseball and nobody believes them. They've been accused of living the life of luxury, taking advantage of the system by going on disability.

Remember Byron Hydes findings that ME seems to have a particular affinity towards clusters in institutional buildings?

Remember Dr. Erich Ryll's assertion that his "Infectious Venulitis" had the same "Sick Building" connection and that the phenomenon may be concurrent with SBS?

The connection of CFS to mycotoxins should be investigated.

-Erik (2006)

Wayne

An MCS Recovery Story

Hi Jenbooks, Hi All,

I've been considering whether to share a little story here, but have not been sure whether it was appropriate, and/or whether it would be accepted in the right spirit. So I'll just mention, it's nothing more than a story, not necessarily part of my own belief system.

OK, I belong to a spiritual path called Eckankar. The leader of Eckankar, Harold Klemp, had some very difficult health issues a number of years ago, many of them resembling MCS and/or CFS. At one point he was researching buying some used products designed to protect a person from various kinds of toxicity. As he was finishing up talking to the woman on the phone who was selling the products, he decided to ask her why she was now selling them.

She sort of hesitated, and replied that nobody had asked her that before. But she said she had found the conversation with him to be a very comfortable one, and so decided to give him an honest answer. She told him her MCS went away shortly after she decided to "forgive" all the chemical companies and toxic polluters for all the pollution she felt they were responsible for.

I thought it was an interesting story. For some reason, Harold thought it was worthwhile to share with an audience of several thousand people. FWIW, Harold often makes comments on various aspects of health, generally advising and espousing doing many of the practical things most of do to try to better our own health situations. I think he mentioned this story as just one more thing to consider.

Best, Wayne

slayadragon

One thing that Nancy Klimas had me to do which was quite revealing was to monitor my heart rate. I started doing way more than she wanted but it did show me how sensitive my body is. I couldn't always figure out everything that was causing the heart rate to go up but I was shocked to see what a difference caffeine had. I think Lisa has used this method in the past as a possible indicator.

I agree with Joey in the difference between mold and chemicals. My experience with chemicals is that I will literally pass out when exposed (Napthalene for example). Mold on the other hand is often much more subtle than a chemical exposure. It's funny smells don't bother me and I dont get headaches, coughs or a lot of the other typical things with either mold or chemical exposure. For me it does seem to be all about a massive inflammatory response.

Let me point out a couple of facts about Floyd's case that he previously has pointed out publicly.

* He does not have any of the genes that Ritchie Shoemaker asserts are associated with mold illness. (He has two "low MSH" genes.)
* He does not experience substantial PEM, and his illness is (by ME/CFS standards) moderate. Two of his main complaints are cognitive issues and fascial ones.
* He pursued what by our standards would be considered moderate avoidance (moving out of a moldy residence, getting rid of every single item of his contaminated stuff and avoiding spending time in overtly moldy buildings). I'm of the understanding that he benefited from these activities. Further avoidance of the type that I pursued when my reactivity was higher did not seem to bring him to further wellness.

I spent a substantial amount of time in person with him and have discussed his case further since the time we spent together. It's been quite enlightening to consider what might be going on with him.

I think it's possible that his genotype may give him some protection against all sorts of biotoxins (per Shoemaker's hypothesis that people without susceptible genotypes can eliminate biotoxins through their immune systems). It's interesting that the substance that he mentions (napthalene) is one of the few chemicals I've found that is especially good at creating oxidative stress. This suggests to me that his reactivity to inflammatory substances (rather than to chemicals in general) is extreme, and that if he had a "worse" genotype he might be an extreme reactor to biotoxins as well. All of this is speculation though.

Cognitive and fascial issues did not resolve for me as a result of extreme avoidance, and so I'm not surprised that they did not resolve for Floyd as a result of any level of avoidance. Antivirals seemed necessary for me to get to the point where my cognition was functioning (at least on occasion) at pre-illness level. Neural therapy and probiotics have mostly addressed the fascial issues. Hopefully Floyd will get relief for those symptoms as well, perhaps through similar ways.

(Perhaps I should add that Floyd repeatedly and roundly beat me at backgammon last winter, when I was just starting antivirals.)

Heartbeat rate is a very good indicator of my reactivity to various substances. Prior to learning about toxic mold, I used it to gauge my food sensitivities (which have now disappeared). Then I used it to gauge my reactivity to moldy buildings (which have decreased to moderate rather than extreme levels). Now it is correlated to my exposures to the "?".

Hopefully people eventually will consider the relevance of the HLA DR genotypes with regard to extreme vs. moderate vs. low reactivity. It's an important topic.

Best, Lisa

soulfeast

? in the air = external cause

what if it is internal and triggered by certain weather conditions?

Anything that limits where I can live!!! this much is going to trigger me to question.

This if true is a diff paradigm to accept.

soulfeast

>Shoemaker does emphasize a glutamate/gaba imbalance and my go into some detail in his pdfs. So I am getting excess glutamates from any biotoxin exposure. So...

I've yet to see any studies suggesting that Stachy or any other type of toxic mold is related to glutamate/GABA issues. That doesn't mean it's not the case, however.

Me: Its in his PDF presentations.. glutamate gaba imbalance. So my question is, if stachy or other biotoxins other than the ? can cause this glutamate "loading" in the body (or whatever it is), then how do we know that certain conditions dont trigger what is already there to "act out" in a certain way?

My glutamates are very high.. yet I dont feel them "act out" all the time. Does it have to be another biotoxin to trigger that?

Seemingly its not barometric pressure alone (if we can generalize your experiences) since you do well in some areas where the barometric pressure falls while in other areas you do not.

>That might explain why some people in the same house or area do not have the sensory storm while others do?? If its not caused by an ? substance rather a shift in weather or even if caused by an ? substance.

The question of why certain people are influenced by biotoxins while other people are not (overtly) is a key one that I hope researchers will consider.

Me: Maybe they are already primed in ways other than cytokine panels reveal? I need to weed out this possibility.

>What if barometric pressure does something specifically to glutamates that are already in the system?

It is our strong belief that biotoxins in the air are affected by barometric pressure changes. This is because we experience the effect only in certain areas (e.g. Truckee, California). In areas that are pristine (e.g. Death Valley, California) we never experience periods of reactivity when the barometer is changing. That doesn't mean that no one experiences internal changes as a result of barometric pressure changes though.

Me: So its barometric pressure plus some other element in the air that possibly the barometric pressure is triggering the biotoxin called ? to sporolate? release something and that is triggering glutamate increase or activation in the body leading to the sensory storm?

>It makes sense to focus on controlling the sensory storm (from glutamates.. so a glutamate storm?) with supps when a flare happens.. I used klonapin in my old house and it worked within 30 minutes.. that and drinking lots of water.. possibly helped.

Glutamate reactions have been observed as a result of various cyanobacteria, including those producing a chemical called domoic acid off the coast of California. Sea otters experiencing these reactions have been treated with mild success with benzos. They seem to be of some benefit in ME/CFS as well. However, those individuals who suffer severe sensory storms on a regular basis likely will tell you that benzos are of limited effect, as are other treatments.

We have found avoidance to be 100% effective against sensory storms. However, until researchers look at the phenomenon, there is no particular reason why anyone should believe us on that.

Me: That would be avoidance of an ? substance in the air going by the presence of sensory storms.. you find a location where you dont have them?

>The ? in Lake Tahoe area, Truckee. this caused the CFS or the stachy did since the stachy is associated with teh mito damage, etc? and the ? bascially with the sensory storm which does involve the heart.. Yasko commented to me about this with glutamates.. they are associated with certain heart issues.

Stachy causes oxidative stress, which tends to be associated with mitochondrial damage. Glutamate problems tend to be associated with heart issues. Again, our hypothesis is that the glutamate is associated with the "?" rather than with the Stachy. I have no evidence of this beyond our own observations and reactions, and hope that researchers will consider the topic in the near future.

Me: Shoemaker has it listed as an effect of biotoxin illness in several of his pdfs/

So you are saying that most likely stachy (or classic biotoxin illness) was a contributor to the development CFS where Erik was.. but you are finding this other element that cannnot be explained by stachy that causes diff symptoms than you know of as stachy symptoms that seems to be in the air because when you relocate the symptoms go away.

This is not related to the fatigue, mito damage, cytokine elevation that classic biotoxin illness is associated with, rather the sensory storm, ANS type symptoms.

Do people who do not have CFS get the sensory storms? Is biotoxin illness a prerequisite.. does this "sensitivity" develop *after* the biotoxin pathway is primed?

>Regarding mold as THE problem.. I dont think I would be sick if it were not for the mold exposure unless xmrv can cause the shoemaker markers.. I read on the Deckoff update that she is monitoring c4a, c3and TGF-b1.. is this because of xmrv or mold?

My current hypothesis is that XMRV and other pathogens increase our reactivity to at least Stachy and other toxic molds, as a result of the increased propensity of the system to experience inflammation. I don't yet have a sense of whether those pathogens make the glutamate reactions worse. My own single anecdotal experience is that Valcyte/Famvir have decreased my reactivity to Stachy and other indoor biotoxins to the point where they present almost no limitations on my life whatsoever. Unfortunately, my reactivity to the "?" is almost as high as it ever was.

Me: Could that be because the stachy actually does cause the glutamate gaba imbalanced so you are primed to be triggered.. Shoe does refer to glutamates in every PDF Ive been through on his site and I believe the new one.

Its the "group" reaction that gets my attention. That would imply something in the air, some weather change (ruling out barometric pressure) and potentially something in the body particular to that group of people since all are not effected.

Lisa: Whether ARV's will decrease reactivity to the "?" and decrease the glutamate reactivity remains to be seen. And of course, no one should generalize from a single case. It's possible that my own reactivity to indoor biotoxins may have decreased due to something else I did (e.g. detoxification, neural therapy or candida treatment). Formal research trials are needed.

Me: With my little knowledge, it does seem like a sensory storm would be associated with glutmates. i know my glutamates are high. I know I have sensory storms. I know I had them in my house and particularly in association with the dust but I was not able to make this association until after the remediation or it didnt exist until after the remediation. My first obvious symptom was a sensory storm, I believe. All ANS.. crazy.

High glutamates, glutamate receptivity.. what else.. gaba receptors blocked.. glutamate re uptake blocked?

To be very clear again.. you are linking the ? specifically and only to sensory storms and stachy like biotoxin illness to oxidative stress and mito damage. The purpose of avoiding the ? is to avoid sensory storms only (not saying thats not good enough reason because they are awful and dangerous I would think over time, depending on strength)... and if so what role does this play in CFS?

Im not convinced the stachy cant cause sensory storms as well or any toxin that can pass the BBB.

Thanks for the information, Lisa.

soulfeast

I tried to snip... its more than mold or anything else but its as frustating as all "get out" to get a spiritual healing. (small haha) The multiple personality fact is compelling as well.. telling as well.. but we do what we can do and try not to go insane or add more fuel to the ANS, adrenal, cytokine fire in the process. The body can switch modes..

The extreme mold and or ? avoidance is a physical attempt to allow the body to do that from what I can tell.. and it makes sense in that way.. if you can without killing yourself.

I get bringing down the cytokine load.. that makes sense.. I dont quite yet get the role of sensory storms in chronic illness.. I do get their role in keeping the ANS so whacked out that it may be difficult for the body to calm down enough to heal... assuming no cytokine response associated, but if one is, and that is very plausable then it makes sense to avoid if one can.. so the body can calm down.

My sister had her own way that seeminly bypassed that. As seemingly these people you are referring to below if they had this cytokine rage going on as well.

FWIW, I've talked to two people recently who completely healed of severe EI/MCS/CFS thru this woo woo technique:

http://www.quantumtechniques.com/testimonials#cfa

(I put the testimonials page on here).

One is now a practitioner, Gisela. She was at Rae's clinic for two years. She was so sick at one point, she had to sleep in her vehicle and live at the edge of her property. This technique healed her, she claims. She can be found on the site as a practitioner if Lisa wants to interview her.

The other is renting a house she lived in for a while, I was considering taking a look at. She's totally fine now too. She said she is still so surprised that she's not having all these reactions, she isn't quite sure how to handle the new possibilities now. "I can live anywhere!" she crowed.

What to make of it? I have no clue.

A third did the Be in Health Program. Her name is Jennifer Militano. In Thomaston, GA. You can google. She was really really sick, did Rae's clinic, too, left their mold house in Dallas and gave away all their belongings. That didn't work. This program worked in a few months. She now lives in a typical house they bought as a foreclosure, with all types of biotoxins. ...

I have no clue what to make of this except it reminds me of reading about multiple personality disorder years ago, and how when the personality switched, allergies would switch, too, instantaneously. That's far more complex than somaticizing or some pop psychology answer. It sounds to me like the entire autonomic nervous system gets re-set by these therapies, these shifts in perspective, how I do not know, and boy, I'd like to try it...if I can get over my innate skepticism.

All I can tell you is the people are for real, they had mold illness, severe EI, MCS, CFS, the whole nine yards.

My problems are more "complex" than mold illness. I can sensitize to chemicals, too. I can be okay in a hotel room for a few days, and then whatever is in it starts to bother me more and more. I.... Mold was a big part of it, and maybe it pushed me into this, but here I am. ...Even the above stories I mention--those people got well by spiritual means, but only after trying everything else.

dannybex

...We already have a good number of cases of people who were extremely sick with documented ME/CFS who have been raised to substantial health (as great as has been reported in any length of time after the use of stem cells, Ampligen, antiretrovirals or anything else) within a couple of months (or in some cases a couple of weeks) of proper avoidance. This has to be done precisely in order for it to work, and so anyone who does it in a non-committed way (e.g. getting rid of some but not all possessions exposed to a bad residence) is not of much use to me in accomplishing my goals.

I can't speak to the recovery rate of the Incline Village cohort. If any patients can be found who have (mostly) recovered -- or if any ME/CFS patients anywhere can be found who have (mostly) recovered -- I would like to interview them as part of the project that I am doing with Dr. Keith Berndtson regarding the various factors that seem to be of particular importance in this illness. If anyone has any candidates, please write to me at slayadragon at yahoo.

Hi Lisa,

I'm guessing this part of your post was in reply to my questions? If so, thanks for your replies. I hope you didn't think I was doubting yours or Erik's stories as I certainly do not doubt them...I had always heard that Erik was part of the (as I think he called it) 'original' Incline Village cohort, so I was curious about how many other folks from that outbreak follow in his footsteps or took his advice. Had I been there and seen his recovery I can't imagine not taking him seriously and following his avoidance protocol, so I'm kind of shocked that it seems like more people didn't do just that.

Interesting that Erik became alarmed/aware in 1980...five years before the outbreak(?)...

I do know several people who have recovered anywhere from 70 to what one calls 1000%(!), but getting them to talk about it might be difficult, as it seems like many (like Mike Dessin) have told their stories only to be harrassed off boards by people questioning if they ever had 'real' CFS. Of these five or six people, I know one had MCS as part of her CFS/ME, and one did have serious mold issues at one point in her illness, but they resolved when she moved to a different house. All of them used many different means to heal and recover, because they all had different issues/triggers/sensitivities.

I'll try to see if I can convince them to contact you -- I think a study or book about recoveries, even if they're not 100%, is an excellent idea.

Thanks,

Dan

p.s. Dr. Klimas has been quoted about patients of hers who have recovered...perhaps her office could put you in touch with some of them???

slayadragon

>I do know several people who have recovered anywhere from 70 to what one calls 1000%(!), but getting them to talk about it might be difficult, as it seems like many (like Mike Dessin) have told their stories only to be harrassed off boards by people questioning if they ever had 'real' CFS. Of these five or six people, I know one had MCS as part of her CFS/ME, and one did have serious mold issues at one point in her illness, but they resolved when she moved to a different house. All of them used many different means to heal and recover, because they all had different issues/triggers/sensitivities.

In December 2007, Mike Dessin and Erik had an e-mail conversation. Erik's comments are below.

In early 2009, Mike had moved from his very moldy house in California to his father's place in Columbus.

He concluded that his dad's residence had mold in it, and so he insisted that his father find a different apartment for him. He then followed Erik's instructions of discarding every belonging that he owned.

Immediately after that, he started neural therapy. At first, because he was unable to move, the practitioner came to his apartment. Mike asked the practitioner (who appears to have a sense of such things) if the apartment was okay in terms of mold, and the practitioner stated that it was.

By summer 2009, Mike was well enough to make his story public.

In July 2010, I visited Mike in his current residence in Columbus. The home was excellent in terms of the presence of toxic mold indoors and acceptable (without a trace of the biotoxin that I have been calling the "?") outdoors. This was so unusual that I asked Mike if I could stay there for a while, and ended up babysitting his dog Dixie (a delightful beagle) while he went on a trip.

I'm not saying that mold avoidance was solely responsible for Mike's recovery. I've done a huge amount of neural therapy myself over the past two years and am aware of its power.

What I am saying is that, as a preliminary hypothesis, I believe that it is impossible for an ME/CFS sufferer to recover if s/he is in a home that has substantial amounts of Stachy in it or getting any sort of regular exposure to the "?".

Whether people absolutely need to discard contaminated belongings in order to get to a full recovery is unclear. I don't have enough cases for that.

However, Floyd is only a moderate responder, but the sole remaining contents of his bad home knocked both of us for a loop when he opened the plastic box they were in. On another occasion, he was bothered so much by a used book he picked up that he felt the need to discard it from his car. (It bothered me too.)

So far, the recovered ME/CFS'ers I've interviewed have mostly/fully recovered after moving to into a home that they insist is excellent with regard to toxic mold (either as a result of testing or because they know they're reactive to it in general). They then have pursued other treatments (antibiotics, antivirals, herbs, candida control, methylation detox, spiritual healing, avoidance of chemical triggers, etc. etc.) and gradually improved.

In the cases I've seen so far, people have either gotten rid of their contaminated belongings or not substantially improved until five years after moving to what they state are good residence(s). Erik suggests that it takes about five years for contaminated possessions to die down, so this is consistent with his observations.

Of course, if people don't improve until five years after they think they are clear of mold, they're not going to attribute their recoveries to the avoidance of it.

I'm not suggesting that people can get well solely through avoidance. I'm suggesting that the more free that people are of biotoxins, the more likely they are to have treatments of any sort work, and that at least moderate avoidance is necessary but not necessarily sufficient for wellness.

I'm also open to the possibility that once people with ME/CFS have achieved wellness, they may be able to maintain that wellness without the need for anything but "mild" avoidance (e.g. not living in places that would lead to other currently healthy people getting sick). Since I now can be around substantial amounts of toxic mold myself, and since most places are not substantially influenced by the "?", I actually almost fit into that category myself.

Again, so far, I have only anecdotal case studies. I am not insisting I am right in my hypotheses. My only goal is to make a case that the phenomenon is worthy of rigorous scientific research.

Thanks very much to those who have suggested further potential interviewees. Again, I welcome any suggestions that people have.

A compilation of Erik's writings is available. If anyone wants a copy, please let me know. A few comments from it are below.

Best,

Lisa (slayadragon at ya-hoo)

Mike-

I've read your description that you are going to die.

Without knowledge of the extent of your organ damage, I can't venture an opinion, but I remember Dr Erich Ryll's description of his Infectious Venulitis '75 cohort was exactly the same as our "Incline Village '85" CFS epidemic: We all believed we were going to die - were looking forward to it, as there was no relief in sight, and woke up every morning amazed that we could suffer so much and NOT have died during the night

I know of quite a few people who have abandoned their belongings and moved to a "feel good" climate/location and have gone from bedridden and feeling absolutely doomed - to recovering somewhere between 80-90%. Did you see that Bunchy described going to the coast and feeling "50% better"?

Right now, I know a gulf war veteran who "hit his limit" of toxicity up here at Lake Tahoe (of all places) and has gone to the coast for some fresh air - because he has learned by long experience that he can make an amazing recovery there

I built a "Mobile Environmental Control Unit" for myself - with Hepa filtration to pressurize the interior - which is constructed of mold resistant metals and plastics. It looks like a normal RV, but is entirely customized.

This has been so miraculous, and I see so many other people complaining of exactly the same clues which led me to do this, that I have no doubts at all that vast numbers of these people could experience a similar level of recovery - if they act before their organ systems are irreparably damaged by chronic inflammation.

I'm sorry to hear about your advanced condition - but I can't help but wonder that even at this stage, if you were to get to a really "pristine" area for a detox, as Dr Myhill suggests, that at the very least, some of your suffering might be decreased. If only more doctors would get on board with this, an affordable "Detox Center" might be devised. It wouldn't take much. Even a tent in the desert has been enough to allow a significant number of people to crawl back from a really low point.

Thanks for being one of those who thinks I'm not totally full of crap. Means a lot to me.

-Erik (2007)

Mike-

No. A mold specialist cannot help. This reactivity is just like the peanut allergy I described in Mold Warriors.

Just a few molecules in the wrong place can knock a person flat. Like a knife that was used to cut a peanut butter sandwich and then used on a sensitive person's sandwich. Or that girl in Canada who died after ksssing her boyfriend - who had just eaten a PBJ.

I was in a mold zone yesterday and put my shirt aside. This morning I held it up to my face - and sure enough, it has the "badness" on it. Doesn't feel all that killer at first. Just heart palps and a slight feeling of "brain compression".

But that "badness" adds up, and eats away at you over time.

That's the major difference in what I did. My military training told me to control for "cross contamination."

Our CS gas was just like this. If you hung up your jacket without washing it and it was touching some other clothing, that little bit of contamination would slam you later. The biowarfare instructor would tell us, "Some dumbass is going to think he doesn't have to wash his stuff because it doesn't seem to be all that bad. They just have to learn the hard way."

Sure enough - they would put on something later and start yelling.

I remember a gal who had suffered for years - tried everything in the book - and suddenly she just started to recover. She had no explanation for it, and said "Absolutely nothing in my life has changed, except that my husband retired and is hanging around the house all day."

Well, it sounds to me like she instinctively "hit" on exactly what changed. Her husband was no longer going into a Stachy infested workplace and carring the spores home to kick her ass.

Yes. That is all it takes. This mold reactivity is a mothaf***ah.

-Erik (2007)

I got slammed while on a construction project in Berkeley in 1980. It was on the UCB campus, right next door to the School of Law.

While I was feeling so lousy, a guy that I was going to meet for lunch to hear his WW2 stories walked in the front door, downstairs, apparently very chipper and feeling just fine.

Not a sign of what was about to happen.

Poured himself a cup of coffee, sat down, had a massive heart attack and died on the spot.

Since I felt bad and my heart was pounding after walking in the door, I didn't think it was a coincidence, but nobody believed me.

After all, "Mold is just an allergy, and even if his heart attack was triggered by a mold allergy, that just shows that it was his time to go because allergies don't kill anyone.”

Two other people on our crew became ill and started going to doctors.

One was a plumber, who suddenly acquired a reactivity to poison oak that he hadn't had before. The other was an electrician who started feeling tired all the time and became so reactive to wheat that his doctor told him that he had to give up all sources of wheat... including beer, which sounded to me like a fate worse then death.

I just couldn't seem to shake that slam.

I started going to doctors. They had never heard of anything like this.

Seemed like every time I went into a bad building after that, not only would I get knocked for a loop, it was a guaranteed nosebleed.

-Erik (2009)

The first person I saw who described this illness to me perfectly was in 1980 down in the South Bay Area, not too far from Silicon Valley.

Five years before I saw it sweep through Incline.

It wasn't the illness that was unbelievable, it was the response of people around her. I saw people choose what to believe and completely ignore her physical appearance and everything she said.

She obviously had no name for this, but different people could look at her and the reaction ranged from "obviously ill" to "can't prove it.”

But I was there the day she hopefully went to a doctor who had seemed sympathetic and returned home in tears, totally devastated.

She told us that the doctor had diagnosed her with "Doctor Seeking Behavior,” a mental illness in which people wander endlessly from doctor to doctor trying to obtain validation for their imaginary complaints.

The doctor said, "She believes her illness is real and the worst thing you can do is feed into it by validating her.”

And then a peculiar thing happened. Those who had been believers and said the illness was "obvious" showed no backbone to their beliefs and went mentally limp, while those who tended to the "can't prove it" went wild in their righteous condemnation and denial - totally confirmed by the Godhood of Doctordom.

I just about lost it and yelled, "Look at her. Look at her.”

Here's where it got interesting. The few who had initially supported her stood silent while the denialists showed the greater fortitude and focused all their "if the doctor says" BS on me.

Nothing less than a baseball bat was going to alter their opinions, and since I didn't want to go to jail, there was nothing much I could do.

But a silent rage built up in me, and I said to myself, "If such a thing should ever happen to me, they wouldn't do that to me. I wouldn't let them! For there must be a lower threshold to stupidity that even these people cannot descend below. It would be impossible to watch an athlete be overcome in such a way and reach that ridiculous conclusion. To apply something like that to someone like myself would be too far beyond the pale, even for idiots like these.”

And then it happened to me!

-Erik (2006)

>You stated that the first time you met someone with the disease that later was named CFS was in 1980. Where did she live?

It was in an apartment complex, south of San Francisco Bay, that was full of people complaining of mysterious rashes, illness, and sudden deaths.

Doctors couldn't find anything wrong, and as far as I know, the concept of sick building was never even brought up, as if all of this was some kind of bizarre coincidence.

I was visiting, and the place just beat the crap out of me.

I didn't know her at all, just that her complaints had a familiar ring. When she related how badly the doctor treated her, it made me angry, because this place surely had the capacity to put me in the same position.... given enough time.

All I later heard was that she moved out and got better.

-Erik (2009)

My "sudden onset" actually started when I inhaled a blast of mold, so I knew for sure that mold was a significant factor.

It was August 1984. I can’t remember the exact date, but I was out in some sand dunes on the coast and suddenly the whole world turned sideways.

This was such a strange sight to see that I didn't even realize that it wasn't the world turning sideways until the side of my head hit the ground.

I went, "Whoa! That’s never happened before."

That was the first utterly neurological sign that something was wrong. I just suddenly totally lost all perception of balance.

I did not have any head injury at all. This was soft sand.

I had plenty of mold slams before that, but this was like nothing I had ever felt.

That's when I went to see Dr. Cheney.

When you read Dr. Hyde’s description of ME progression, he talks about these precursor episodes before fully descending into illness.

I didn't get the full sore throat and all other CFS symptoms until a year later. Since no one was listening to me about these precursor problems or about the mold, I thought that eventually when CFS researchers began to research CFS, I could tell them about it.

-Erik (2010)

slayadragon

Jen,

I have absolutely no problem with the idea that people might need to avoid other substances besides Stachy (and maybe some other indoor toxic molds) and the "?" outside in order to get well.

I mentioned that above:

>So far, the recovered ME/CFS'ers I've interviewed have mostly/fully recovered after moving to into a home that they insist is excellent with regard to toxic mold (either as a result of testing or because they know they're reactive to it in general). They then have pursued other treatments (antibiotics, antivirals, herbs, candida control, methylation detox, spiritual healing, avoidance of chemical triggers, etc. etc.) and gradually improved.
>
>I'm not suggesting that people can get well solely through avoidance. I'm suggesting that the more free that people are of biotoxins, the more likely they are to have treatments of any sort work, and that at least moderate avoidance is necessary but not necessarily sufficient for wellness.

What I said was that I believed that people need to be free of more than small amounts of Stachy and the outdoor biotoxin that I am calling the "?" in order to have a base to get well -- necessary but not necessarily sufficient.

For me, avoidance of specific other biotoxins (including a "minor" toxic outdoor cyanobacteria present in the Midwest) has been important.

Based on everything that you have told me, avoidance of a wide variety of chemicals such as air freshener is important. Your acute sensitivity to those chemicals (substantially higher than anything I've experienced) makes this "journey" (ha!) particularly difficult for you, and I'm quite sympathetic to that.

Another recovered person (associated with the Incline Village epidemic although not one of the original cohort) said that scrupulous avoidance of even tiny amounts of gluten has been essential for her recovery.

Unfortunately, many of us have triggers in addition to the ones I suggested may be essential for all of us to consider. That's why I'm a little reluctant to pursue setting up a "Detox Center" (as Erik mentioned above) for people to try to recover from this illness. For some people, even a whiff of lemon or a touch of Seventh Generation detergent is enough to push them over the edge.

It's a lonely journey we're on.

Nothing in this is predictable. Locations change from moment to moment and sometimes go permanently bad. Wandering from place to place trying to find somewhere good is exhausting. Other people's assessment of particular locations cannot be relied upon, because things that matter to us (particular chemicals, minor biotoxins, altitude, concern about Lyme or other pathogens, hot/cold tolerances, need for certain types of healthcare practitioners, Web access, nearby Starbucks, EMF's, grizzly bears or rattlesnakes etc. etc. etc.) may not be important to them.

My experience with driving across the state of Texas was that Dallas was horrific with the "?" and that the western part of the state was polluted by oil refineries. Unlike you, I didn't know when I was first starting out at this to decontaminate and clean everything in the car as soon as I got outside of Dallas and thus apparently overlooked the part on I-20 that you found to be good.

My general feeling when you asked for my opinion was that I had heard enough bad things about Texas in general that I thought you might do better to look at areas that I or others had found to be good. I never thought that every square inch of the whole state of Texas was likely to be offensive, though conceivably it might have come across that way to you. The fact that you found parts of Texas to be good, and that you are now informing me about someone else who found other parts to be good, is encouraging about the state of this country in general and possibly may be helpful for others hoping to choose good places to visit or live.

I continue to believe that the particularly bad stuff (which is what I am calling the "?") that both you and I encountered in Dallas is something that people need to be free of in order to recover from this disease. If you have since concluded that you could recover in that city, I would be interested in your letting me know.

As a side note, the fact that you had the same reaction to the stuff in Dallas and the stuff in your apartment -- and that you have extremely rarely experienced that feeling anywhere else -- makes me suspicious that what I am calling the "?" is what was present in your apartment. Erik suggests that this "?" is rarely present in buildings, but that when it is, it creates a variety of extremely serious health effects in addition to ME/CFS or typical mold illness (which is what you reported happening in your rent-controlled NYC apartment). Insofar as this was the case, you had extremely bad luck in living in that building and were lucky to get out alive. In addition, if that was the case, my feeling is that conceivably you might be doing even better than you are now if you were to discard to the few items from that apartment that you still have with you....or at least to do a trial wholly away from all your stuff (including that which might have been cross-contaminated by the old stuff) to see how you felt upon re-exposure. It's hard to bite the bullet and do that, but this stuff is horrific enough that being ridiculously scrupulous may be in order if our goal is true recovery rather than just survival.

It certainly is hard these days to find safe places. From all reports, England sounds like it has practically no safe places at all. I hope fervently that this does not happen to the U.S. but (based on Erik's reports about what has happened over the past 30 years) have no confidence that it will not continue to decline.

This is why I have decided upon the goal of getting the attention of doctors/researchers rather than training patients to do avoidance. Perhaps if -- say -- pharmaceuticals that allow people to detoxify more easily and effectively are developed, we all will have a chance of improving or getting well regardless of what happens in the environment.

Thanks much for your comments.

Best, Lisa