1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Science to Patients: Talking ME, Exercise and the Mitochondria - with Dr Charles Shepherd
The latest video release from the Dutch group ME/cvs Vereniging, with Dr Charles Shepherd from the UK ME Association, and announcing a live chat session to be held Thursday, April 10, 2014...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bioscreen test at newcastle uni in 1997

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by knackers323, Dec 15, 2013.

1. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    @Elph68 have you heard anything through the grapevine when they are likely to publish or good things about results out of interest.
  2. Persimmon

Persimmon Senior Member

They called themselves the Collaborative Pain Research Unit, and their biomarker "breakthrough" was big news at the time. Newspapers around the world ran the story.

They claimed to have a pair of diagnostic biomarkers, CFSUM1 and CFSUM2. These were urine tests.

They used to carry out a range of additional blood, urine and stool tests. From this they thought they could subtype CFS patients. In addition, they profiled patients individually, with a view to being able to design individual treatment programs.

Aside from their own lab tests, they arranged the following tests:
    Mycoplasma DNA via PCR
    Rickettsia DNA via PCR
    RNase L
    Interleukin 2

A quick update on the Newcastle team:
    - Hugh Dunstan is still a professor in Newcastle.
    - Tim Roberts retired from Newcastle in 2008, and is now a professor in Singapore. He also flogs "Fatigue reviva", an amino-acid miracle (?) potion
    - Neil McGregor remains a practicing dentist (periodontist). He's now in Melbourne. He got into CFS via an interest in chronic pain, which was the subject of his dental PhD, I think.
    -Henry Butt was covered in earlier posts.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    MeSci and heapsreal like this.
  3. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Nothing too nasty. No Prevotella, no streptococcus, no staphylococcus, zero clostridium.

Really high enterococcus faecalis though, 87.5%. This connects to cognitive dysfunctions, sleep and altered intestinal barrier. Normal distribution is <5%.

A few too many of some strain of bifidobacteria and eubacterium.

For bifidobacterium i've taken ampicillin, which is also part of my lyme/coinfection regime.
    My stomach improved rapidly. It reduced the burning feeling and made my stomach a bit more robust towards food.

For E.coli they suggested supplementing with galactose ( a sugar found in lactose free milk).
  4. MeSci

MeSci Activity level: 6

Cornwall, UK
    I wonder whether the work is funded by the Arab multi-millionaire Sheikh Yabouti...:D
    beaverfury, heapsreal and aimossy like this.
  5. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    @beaverfury do you mean to up the E.coli galactose is good to increase levels that are too low? just making sure I got that right:)
  6. Elph68

Elph68 Senior Member

Sorry aim,

All as they said was they had finished their current CFS study and were probably going to do Sleep disturbance next ....
    aimossy likes this.
  7. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Yep, that's right.

They wrote, "Consider supplementing oral sugars (galactose, fucose) to increase the densities of current intestinal coliforms (eg E.coli) as opposed to adding a different strain with probiotics.
    Recent supplementation with fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS) may also have suppressed growth of this organism. "

That's 'fucose', not fructose.

Where do you get that from in pill form you say?
    ..I have no idea.
    But theres quite a bit of galactose in lactose free milk.

I've tried mutaflor before. It seemed to coincide with me getting quite anxious and edgey.
  8. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    haha thanks for that!!!!
  9. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Did you notice an improvement in your fatigue?

Have you retested to see what the levels of the gut bugs are now?
  10. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    Yes, fatigue has absolutely improved. But i am taking four lots of antibiotics for lyme/coinfections as well, so it's impossible to tease out what is doing what.

I haven't retested yet. Bioscreen does give you a discount on the retest.
    aimossy likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.