• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bioscreen test at newcastle uni in 1997

aimossy

@Elph68 have you heard anything through the grapevine when they are likely to publish or good things about results out of interest.

Persimmon

They called themselves the Collaborative Pain Research Unit, and their biomarker "breakthrough" was big news at the time. Newspapers around the world ran the story.

They claimed to have a pair of diagnostic biomarkers, CFSUM1 and CFSUM2. These were urine tests.

They used to carry out a range of additional blood, urine and stool tests. From this they thought they could subtype CFS patients. In addition, they profiled patients individually, with a view to being able to design individual treatment programs.

Aside from their own lab tests, they arranged the following tests:
Mycoplasma DNA via PCR
Rickettsia DNA via PCR
RNase L
Interleukin 2

A quick update on the Newcastle team:
- Hugh Dunstan is still a professor in Newcastle.
- Tim Roberts retired from Newcastle in 2008, and is now a professor in Singapore. He also flogs "Fatigue reviva", an amino-acid miracle (?) potion
- Neil McGregor remains a practicing dentist (periodontist). He's now in Melbourne. He got into CFS via an interest in chronic pain, which was the subject of his dental PhD, I think.
-Henry Butt was covered in earlier posts.

Last edited:

beaverfury

beaverfury
What did your results show? Have you tried treating it?

Nothing too nasty. No Prevotella, no streptococcus, no staphylococcus, zero clostridium.

Really high enterococcus faecalis though, 87.5%. This connects to cognitive dysfunctions, sleep and altered intestinal barrier. Normal distribution is <5%.

A few too many of some strain of bifidobacteria and eubacterium.

For bifidobacterium i've taken ampicillin, which is also part of my lyme/coinfection regime.
My stomach improved rapidly. It reduced the burning feeling and made my stomach a bit more robust towards food.

For E.coli they suggested supplementing with galactose ( a sugar found in lactose free milk).

Elph68

@Elph68 have you heard anything through the grapevine when they are likely to publish or good things about results out of interest.
Sorry aim,

All as they said was they had finished their current CFS study and were probably going to do Sleep disturbance next ....

beaverfury

beaverfury
@beaverfury do you mean to up the E.coli galactose is good to increase levels that are too low? just making sure I got that right:)

Yep, that's right.

They wrote, "Consider supplementing oral sugars (galactose, fucose) to increase the densities of current intestinal coliforms (eg E.coli) as opposed to adding a different strain with probiotics.
Recent supplementation with fructo-oligosaccharide (FOS) may also have suppressed growth of this organism. "

That's 'fucose', not fructose.

Where do you get that from in pill form you say?
..I have no idea.
But theres quite a bit of galactose in lactose free milk.

I've tried mutaflor before. It seemed to coincide with me getting quite anxious and edgey.

knackers323

Nothing too nasty. No Prevotella, no streptococcus, no staphylococcus, zero clostridium.

Really high enterococcus faecalis though, 87.5%. This connects to cognitive dysfunctions, sleep and altered intestinal barrier. Normal distribution is <5%.

A few too many of some strain of bifidobacteria and eubacterium.

For bifidobacterium i've taken ampicillin, which is also part of my lyme/coinfection regime.
My stomach improved rapidly. It reduced the burning feeling and made my stomach a bit more robust towards food.

For E.coli they suggested supplementing with galactose ( a sugar found in lactose free milk).

Did you notice an improvement in your fatigue?

Have you retested to see what the levels of the gut bugs are now?

beaverfury

beaverfury
Did you notice an improvement in your fatigue?

Have you retested to see what the levels of the gut bugs are now?

Yes, fatigue has absolutely improved. But i am taking four lots of antibiotics for lyme/coinfections as well, so it's impossible to tease out what is doing what.

I haven't retested yet. Bioscreen does give you a discount on the retest.