1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bioscreen test at newcastle uni in 1997

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by knackers323, Dec 15, 2013.

1. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Anyone get tested by these guys around this time?

What did you do about it?

It was promoted as a major breakthrough, even cure at the time.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    I was hoping to get tested but it was not something I considered very important. Eventually I did make it to Australia to stay with relatives. However, when I got there and made enquiries I was told that their lab had burned down and they weren't doing any more tests.

The test was called CFSUM I think.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    There was quite abit of research out of Newcastle uni in the 1990s. I thought funding dried up?
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    I take it you mean something that occurred at Newcastle in Australia and not Newcastle Uni and Julia Newton in the UK :)

Could you expand or link to what you are all talking about please as I am mystified and intrigued. Thanks
  5. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Australiairestormm, post: 412482, member: 3774"]I take it you mean something that occurred at Newcastle in Australia and not Newcastle Uni and Julia Newton in the UK :)

Could you expand or link to what you are all talking about please as I am mystified and intrigued. Thanks[/quote]
    Austrslia
    Australia
  6. knackers323

Yep sorry it was Australia. I'm pretty sure it was the urine and fecal tests that are still being carried out by the same company but they now work out of Melbourne.
    Firestormm likes this.
  7. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Amino acid profiling etc?
    My cfs doc dr deed was involved in research with newcastle university in the day also dr whiting. One theory they had was staph sinus infections causing gut infections from post nasal drip. This didnt pan out. Maybe someone else has taken the research further. A dr stowell was also involved with them. Might find some research under their names.
  8. knackers323

Yes I think it did have something to do with amino acids
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I was tested back then. They were doing urinary amino acid profiles.

Two of their markers were shown to likely be an artifact of testing and not real. One other was claimed to have been disproved as well, but they test was very poor that claimed to disprove it, in this case citric acid in urine. It violated the protocol and such violations are known to give negative results. However most of their testing is still valid.

The researchers scattered and some worked in Europe. I do not know the full story.

I think the chemicals detected were analogs of glycine and serine? This is why the urinary glycine and serine results were off.

I am not sure why the researchers did not pursue this further. Back in the 90s I talked with one of them once or twice, and emailed with another once or twice, but I do not recall the details.
  10. knackers323

Was any stool testing involved?
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I think they did some. Bioscreen itself later branched to lots of different testing. However the 90s research I recall was all urine.
  12. Elph68

Elph68 Senior Member

Dr Henry Butt was the researcher there, they moved to Melbourne University and have been researching CFS/ME using the latest technology laser mass spectrometer to identify gut microbiota, and it's relationship to CFS/ME. They have now finished their research and are in the process of having their findings published.

It is interesting to note that Kenny DeMerlier has just recently joined the bioscreen team as a professor at Melbourne University.....
    aimossy likes this.
  13. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Link to announcement?

Sushi
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Links between Bioscreen and KDM go way back. I think one of the researchers wrote a paper with KDM.
  15. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I meant any links to an announcement of KDM as a professor at Melbourne Univ?

Sushi
  16. Elph68

Elph68 Senior Member

I don't have an announcement .... just KDM has all of a sudden appeared as one of the professors on the bioscreen staff list ....
  17. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    Isnt the big link in melbourne between dr lewis and KDM?
  18. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    I have KDM down as one of the consultants for bioscreen on my fecal microbiology result.

There is also a 'Dr Butt' and a 'Dr Buttfield'. :rofl: ( not kidding)
    MeSci, rosie26 and aimossy like this.
  19. knackers323

What did your results show? Have you tried treating it?
  20. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I met KDM at the Sydney CFS conference in 1999. He has a long history of coming here. His association with the Bioscreen researchers is older, I think, than his association with Dr Lewis, but I could be wrong. Its may be more the case that I simply never heard of KDM in connection with Dr Lewis way back then.

See more popular forum discussions.