1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Biomarkers revealed as red herrings are still treated like smoking guns"

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

John Ioannidis was one of the authors. He's an interesting researcher in my opinion. He has a degree in mathematics. He often challenges the status quo.

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Abstract

Here's the abstract - but the other article is easier to read

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks.

Reminds me of the "CFS = Depression" meme which is still going strong amongst doctors, despite the fact that the researchers like Wessely who had promoted it have long since abandoned it. (Isn't there some Wessely quote like: "Whatever's wrong with these patients, it's not depression.")

It's a pain.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    Ah, John P. A. Ioannidis of "Why Most Published Research Findings Are False" fame.
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0020124

"Comparison of Effect Sizes Associated With Biomarkers Reported in Highly Cited Individual Articles and in Subsequent Meta-analyses":
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/305/21/2200.short

The whole scenario of the relative risks being magnitudes of order in the highly cited papers (published in top journals), compared to the subsequent meta-analyses is a clear result of publication/citation biases.

See more popular forum discussions.