• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biofilms, NO and B12

snowathlete

As many of you are aware, some bacteria produce biofilms, which are thought to make them harder for your immune system, or for antibiotics to kill them.

Nitric oxide is thought to disperse biofilm and is being trialed as part of a treatment regime for cystic fibrosis.

People with ME/CFS are thought to have elevated NO, with multiple theories as to why, such as failure in cellular respiration, cortisol levels, the proposed viscious NO-ONOO cycle etc. I am sure there are other theories as to why we have it, but one thing that B12 does is scavenge NO, so might this actually not be good for us if our illness is triggered by a bacterial infection that uses biofilms, as our body may be producing NO as a means of disrupting biofilm?

Lotus97

Dr. Pall has theorized that people with ME/CFS have high peroxynitrite and concluded that too much nitric oxide would cause problems as in can form into peroxynitrite. But has it actually been proven that people with ME/CFS have a problem with too much nitric oxide? We can all agree that peroxynitrite is bad, but I'm not sure about nitric oxide. I'll be honest, I don't really understand Dr. Pall's theories very well, but I'm not sure if it's as cut and dry as "too much ONOO is bad therefore NO is also bad. end of discussion". Some people think the Gorilla paper proves that adenosylcobalamin scavenges ONOO rather than NO so it's better. I admit that I don't the understand the Gorilla paper either, but I'm not sure how it can prove anything without actual studies being done.