• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bio film bacteria in the gut

I am having enormous problems with eating, retaining weight and general horriblness related to my gut. i consulted with an integrative dr on friday who i had never seen beofre and having listened to how my cfs started after a severe campylobacter infection in 2004( i then had it agin in 2007) he concluded that my gut was probably infected with bio film bacteria. I had never had this suggested before as all gastro work ups have come up normal. He gave me Creon 10 000 caps. Any one gor any offering on this as my gut is really in turmoil and i am sick of being told by my current GP (apart from the one i saw on Friday) that nothing is wrong and its all anxiety! Ha HA if only it was.

kurt

One suggestion - 'The Body Ecology Diet'

This diet denies food to many of the bugs, can help re-balance the flora.

Another suggestion - ask your GP for an O&P test, see if you have a digestive parasite. Also, a full stool profile might be helpful.

'it is all anxiety' - doctors loose all credibility in my opinion with this type of thinking and talking, shows how little they appreciate complex biologic systems. Of course anxiety can contribute to digestive issues, but then neurotoxins can contribute to anxiety, as can a number of different nutrient depletions, particularly the B vitamins and magnesium. And some chronic infections deplete B vitamins, magnesium, and other important nutrients.

Then there is the problem of HCl insufficiency, or low enzymes, which will cause digestive troubles and malabsorption.

At least you are seeing an integrative doctor, but as this shows, they can also jump to conclusions... I would focus on diet, treating possible gut infections, supplementing B and magnesium (maybe look at one of the B12 protocols discussed on the forum), and then HCL and enzyme issues. Creon might help with the digestion, I took that type of enzyme for several years when my digestion was not working well and it seemed to help. But I've had to do much more than that to get some overall improvement.

Thanks for the info Kurt. What exacly is an O&P test? ive not heard of that. apparently they don`t do a full stool profile in New Zealand( thats what the DR said anyway) so not sure how to get that done either. Ive had it tested for giardia etc and blood but nothing else.The trouble here is that when they do basic blood and urine samples and they come back ok the definitive answer they give is that nothing is wrong with you! I have tried and tried to expalin that with cfs that is usually the case. anyway.... will try go get further with your suggestions.:thumbsup:

As I just mentioned in another thread, I had a similar symptom pattern and went through a 10 week biofilm treatment with relative success. I started this back in August and went through the fall. I had my tests done by Genova Diagnostics; called a microbiology test. The first few came back with no bacteria at all (a characteristic of a biofilm). After starting the treatment, all hell broke loose as the top of the biofilm was pulled open.

I'm surprised NZ can't do a poo profile test, you may have to get the samples sent to Australia, probably Victoria.

C.difficile can play absolute havoc with the bowels - has your dr suggested testing for this?