• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bill Burr on reliability of research into personality

Esther12

From 0:59 - 3:40

Only a silly little thing, but interesting how he instinctively points out problems with selection bias.

Also, I've been thinking about the problem that psychological research will tend to be focussed upon the narrow section of the population interested in helping psychology researchers, and even if they manage to reach others, a lot of people just like screwing with authority for the fun of it.

Anyway, stumbled on this, and thought it was worth posting.

Sean

IMHO, comedians are generally pretty good when it comes to recognising and calling out bullshit early on. Especially political cartoonists.

Daffodil

I love bill burr. he is in Toronto in march but sadly, I will be in reno. would love to see him live. Louis ck is another favorite. just love their way of looking at things.

peggy-sue

A very major problem with any psychological research is that most of the subjects are psychology students.
It's very hard to recruit volunteers from different subjects.
It is also widely known that 80% of psychology students score very highly on neuroticism. They are not representative of a normal population. :p

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
IMHO, comedians are generally pretty good when it comes to recognising and calling out bullshit early on. Especially political cartoonists.

We have some clever 'comedians' among the ME and CFS communities too, who comment on the relevant issues in comics or words. One of the moments I actually laughed out loud was when I saw that someone had created a detailed illustration comparing the spin surrounding the disappointing PACE Trial results with the raising of the sunken (Costa Concordia?) cruise ship, and labeled Peter White a "parbuckling expert".

There are numerous smaller comical illustrations I have come across over the years which I cannot find now either. But they have given me some relevant comic relief in times of frustration over the ongoing ridiculousness we all face. One ME organization (?) used to include cynical comics targeting NICE and CBT/GET proponents in their newsletters, but I can never remember who does that or find them online. Everytime I try to search, I end up on Dr Speedy's blog.

PS - Ali G is back. Probably an acquired taste, I was just a teen when he first appeared.

Last edited:

Sean

PS - Ali G is back. Probably an acquired taste, I was just a teen when he first appeared.

Must confess I am one who just can't get into Sacha's oeuvre, even while recognising that he is a superb comic improviser and provocateur. But he just doesn't generally click for me.

Interestingly, I like seeing him being interviewed, but not being the interviewer. Go figure.

Esther12

He touched upon it again here...

I shouldn't have put this in the Research section, and the comments aren't particularly enlightening... but it was a bit amusing listening to a couple of comedians being pissed off by research into the personality of comedians, and listening to how they respond to it all.

Last edited: