• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Big Trouble in Little China

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Since the Abbott government has gained power, many people are frustrated by the lack of leadership and seemingly backwards decisions that have been made (after the strongly progressive Gillard government).

To pay for a newly minted middle class welfare scheme, large growth in aged pension numbers along with the mining tax being repealed (oh and the carbon tax too), the money has to come from somewhere. I know, let us get it from those least likely to have a voice! Those on disability pensions!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-21/federal-govt-says-welfare-system-is-unsustainable/5210006
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...e-and-disability-payments-20140121-316y2.html

Pure Genius!

See also:
http://ausopinion.com/2014/01/22/is-it-really-a-review/

Sean

Australia already has what is widely regarded as one of the most efficient and effectively targeted social security systems anywhere. So there is little fat left to trim off this baby.

Not to mention we already have one of the lowest tax rates in the OECD.

Etc, etc, etc,...

Not that facts will stop him and the Murdoch propaganda cheer squad from their perverse reverse Robin Hood act.

Sean

Plus managing to piss off everybody in our region in less than 6 months, and most of the rest of the world too it seems.

Just what we need as both Indonesia and China are on the economic, political, and military rise, and our traditional allies on the wane.

Yeah, a real fecking genius.

Last edited:

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Oh, the tapping of the Indonesian president's phone, combined with the douchebaggery afterwards was pure class! The only thing classier was the US grounding the Bolivian presidential plane because they somehow got it into their heads that somehow Snowden was on the plane.

(If this was a fictional story people would laugh as it was so silly!)

beaverfury

beaverfury
Too bad my illness doesn't subscribe to government policy.

Tony Abbot and his minions are doing and saying some alarming things. I thought he would just be a harmless duffer in budgie smugglers, but i think he fancies himself a major reformer.
But why target those in most need ? It's insane and cruel.

Counting down the days to the next election.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
It was sort of amusing when people half-joked after the election about Tony Abbott probably causing a major diplomatic incident with Indonesia in his first term. No one is laughing now and only 3 months in there is this unsurprising development:

Indonesia gears up its military as senior politician labels Australia the country's 'greatest threat'

http://www.news.com.au/national/ind...-greatest-threat/story-fncynjr2-1226808529340

alex3619

Australia already has what is widely regarded as one of the most efficient and effectively targeted social security systems anywhere. So there is little fat left to trim off this baby.

Not to mention we already have one of the lowest tax rates in the OECD.

Etc, etc, etc,...

Not that facts will stop him and the Murdoch propaganda cheer squad from their perverse reverse Robin Hood act.

I think they are buying into the biopsychosocial model. There have been several offhand comments that indicate they think the UK disability reforms are great.

Sean

I think they are buying into the biopsychosocial model. There have been several offhand comments that indicate they think the UK disability reforms are great.

Looking that way, isn't it. :grumpy: