1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BIG NEWS: NIH Director to open XMRV conference!!!

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Rrrr, Sep 4, 2010.

1. pictureofhealth

pictureofhealth XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

Europe
    Wow Shebacat - that is a shocking list of different infections. No wonder you are so ill. I really hope that XMRV research will deliver some solid answers and practical solutions for you.

Re. NIH Director F Collins opening the XMRV Conference - its incredible how these big players have been listed - almost downplayed - what an interesting insight into how scientists operate in the world and with each other. We've got so used to the media hyping celebrities in the wider world etc. Yet there he is - 'F Collins' in tiny little letters almost hidden at the top of the day's agenda! What??? This guy runs the NIH fellas!!!!!- where's the respect???! Give that man some BLOCK capitals, some BOLD typeface and the gold embossed lettering!!!!!!!!!!!!! Made me chuckle.

2. beaker

beaker CFS/ME 1986

USA
    I have a downloaded file from last wed and it is there. Didn't ring a bell with me.
    Maybe someone has an earlier downloaded copy ? These things are so easy to miss with cfids-brain.

Of course, doesn't really matter when it was put on ( don't want to damper the excitement ) ... the important thing is that he will be there ! :victory:

3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

If you ever wanted confirmation that XMRV/MLVs are being taken extremely seriously at the very highest level of medical science, then having Francis Collins open the 1st International Conference on XMRV is it.

Good news all round, I think.

4. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

urbantravels,

Yes, Dr. Harvey Alter spoke about the 1000 donor study.

He said results will be available soon.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I still feel a fear that this is going to turn out horribly: That Wessely will turn up with some astounding piece of new reaserch which convinces them not to bother with the PCRs as he's proven we're all demented.

I'm still staying cautious about all this but it will be pretty terrible if XMRV comes to nothing when we feel so close to a real breakthrough.

6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    shebacat, that's a great letter... thanks for sending that... :Retro smile:

7. leaves

leaves Senior Member

@recovorysoon
    Rofl!!
    You just made my morning :)

8. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

i made a downloaded copy fr wed or thurs, and he is not there. strange!

9. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    not to put a downer on things but how seriously can they be taking it if they dont start untill 1pm? or is only working half days normal for this sort of thing? I haven't been to many conferences but the ones I've been to started in the morning not the afternoon

it's progress but I'm not convinced that they are taking this seriously enough yet

11. shannah

shannah Senior Member

It's Labour Day weekend so Monday is a holiday. Perhaps people would normally fly in on the evening before but in this case it would be cutting short the last long weekend of summer and rearranging plans long made. Because of the high numbers attending, perhaps they've had no choice but to allow Tuesday morning for travel. Just a thought.

12. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

the 1 pm starting time is exactly what shannah said.

don't be fooled by the starting time. this has turned out to be a VERY important and prestigious meeting.

13. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

AMEN. And lift weights, box, skydive, vacation, and DRINK MY FACE OFF.

14. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    thanks for the explaination

15. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    Sheba great letter
    do you have any ideas on how you contracted cfs/me?

16. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

The door is open....

"When the geneticist Francis Collins was named director of the National Institutes of Health, last summer, he became the public face of American science and the keeper of the world’s deepest biomedical-research-funding purse."

"A key duty of the N.I.H. director is to justify the agency’s budget and defend before Congress the programs it funds, a duty that requires a skill quite apart from prowess in the laboratory. In fifteen years at the National Human Genome Research Institute, Collins had proved himself an able manager, bringing the Genome Project to a successful conclusion in 2003—two and a half years early and four hundred million dollars under budget."

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/09/06/100906fa_fact_boyer#ixzz0yg91gshz

17. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    Buh! I don't know how I managed to decide Harvey Alter's name was Larry. Could be the infected brain.:eek:

18. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I'd just note, amidst all the excitement (and it is very exciting news) that all we can really conclude from this news is that it's likely that the blood supply study is now complete - or at least, that significant preliminary results are available. There's no particular reason I can see to conclude what those results are, since Collins would be likely to open the conference if he's presenting, whatever the results are. We'll just have to wait and see...not long to go now...but this is clearly set to be one humdinger of a conference!

19. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    I've been wondering when someone would use 'humdinger' in a post.

I think you have another PR first there Mark.

20. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.