1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BIG NEWS: NIH Director to open XMRV conference!!!

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Rrrr, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

exciting new development! NIH director Francis Collins is now opening the 1st int'l XMRV conference (1 pm Tues). needless to say, this means the NIH is now taking xmrv/MLV seriously. (why? my guess: they have found it in significant numbers in the blood supply.) with 1-4 million americans with CFS (17 million worldwide), hopefully big funding for clinical trials will follow. here is the link to the conference & updated conf program:

http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Program/vid/1FFCB7B8-FB88-C1D2-92C420E3BCEB0FB0

i'm totally excited. this is the first time in the HISTORY of cfs that we have been taken seriously by our gov't. by the highest levels of our gov't.

rrrr

2. leaves

leaves Senior Member

!!!!! So exciting!!!
    Thanks so much for being on top of this Rrrrrr! You rock!

3. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

Wow!.......

4. bakercape

bakercape Senior Member

Cape Cod. Mass
    That's

very exciting news! I hope treating us will be as big a priority as protecting the blood supply in the future.

5. ballard

ballard

Big news indeed!!!
    I think your guess about why Collins is opening the conference is spot on.
    Can't wait!!!

6. Forebearance

Forebearance Senior Member

Great Plains, US
    Thanks for the news, Rrrr!
    My mom swears that Francis Collins is a good guy.

7. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Great news!!! :)

8. Sunshine

Sunshine Senior Member

UK
    Thank you for posting this Rrrr.

Out of interest, was the NIH doing a study of XMRV in the blood supply and are yet to show their results?

NIH. How do we pronounce that? Like this? :Retro tongue:

[video=youtube;7D4Ud8-jric]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4Ud8-jric[/video]

9. Gemini

Gemini Senior Member

Wonderful!!!!

Great post, Rrrr, thank you!

10. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

this is freaking HUGE news, in my opinion. and yes, nih/fda are doing a big study on the US blood supply. not sure if the have results ready to share or not.

11. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    Whooppeeeee!!!!

This is great news. Speculating (I'm not american) It may mean not only are they taking it seriously, they want to be seen to be taking it seriously, ie it is and will be a big thing, and they think they need to show leadership. Hopefully this means $$$$ in future.

OTH

12. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

exactly! they need to be seen as taking this seriously. why? IT IS IN THE BLOOD SUPPLY. they don't care about a few million folks with CFS. they care about how they will be perceived re: the nations blood supply.

13. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    I don't see where it mentions Francis Collins. It's not on the page you link.

14. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    As a reminder, look at the transcript of the teleconference on 8/23 (I am pretty sure that "Dr. Indecipherable" was Larry Alter, but haven't listened through to confirm)

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=432527206796

Now, what was finally published on 8/23/2010 was a little study that was completed in MAY or sooner, originally due to be published in June, and then the kerfuffle which we all know so well - and a time delay that Alter, Lo et.al. wisely used to lay any suspicion of contamination to rest. Notwithstanding this additional work being done on the PNAS paper, this other large scale work on the blood supply, I imagine, has been continuing all this time.

They *may* have something to tell us next week. Which would be awfully exciting. Even if those particular results aren't released yet, though, this is more and more indication that this subject is being taken VERY SERIOUSLY at the highest levels.

Can.Not.Wait. for next Tuesday and Wednesday!!!

p.s. we pronounce it "En Eye Aitch," sorry Python fans :sofa:

15. OverTheHills

OverTheHills

New Zealand
    Open the PDF to the right of the page and it has F Collins and S Le Grice opening

16. urbantravels

urbantravels disjecta membra

Los Angeles, CA
    download the pdf of the final conference program. it's a little low-key. the file info of the pdf shows it was created 9/1/10.

17. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Thanks.

(add more to be able to post....and ..)

18. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

i think collins was JUST added on saturday, today. because i thought i looked at the program on friday and he was not there. i looked at it today, and saw that, what you called low-key addition, and thought, collins? f collins. holy crap, that is the HEAD of the NIH.

i'm totally excited. this is the first time in the HISTORY of cfs that we have been taken seriously by our gov't. by the highest levels of our gov't (as someone wrote).

19. Recovery Soon

Recovery Soon Senior Member

If so, not a big deal. Solution? Nationwide CBT.

All together now...

"We are Healthy and Happy...We are Healthy and Happy....We are Healthy and Happy..."

20. sensing progress

sensing progress Senior Member

Tucson, AZ
    Does your mom know Francis Collins personally?

See more popular forum discussions.