• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Big GMO News - Fight to Protect Consumers From Genetically Modified Organisms

Wally

A big fight is underway in many states to increase regulation of genetically modified organisms ("GMO"). One of the biggest battles going on right now is in Washington state were an initiative is on the Nov. 5th ballot to require labeling of GMO products.

...But perhaps the biggest bombshell of all is now unfolding in Washington state. The mail-in ballot state's voters are already weighing in on Initiative 522, which would mandate the labeling of genetically modified organisms (GMOs). Knowing full well that 93 percent of the American public supports GMO labeling, and that if one state passes it, many others are likely to follow, entrenched agribusiness interests are pulling out all the stops to try to squelch yet another state labeling effort.

This time, however, things aren't going quite as planned. On Wednesday, Washington state Attorney General Bob Feguson filed a lawsuit against the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA). The GMA, a lobby for the junk food industry, has been by far the largest donor to efforts to defeat the labeling initiative. The lawsuit alleges that the GMA illegally collected and spent more than $7 million while shielding the identity of its contributors.

The source of the money has now been exposed, and it turns out to be Pepsico, Coca-Cola, NestleUSA, General Mills and a few other junk food companies. The lawsuit reveals that GMA leadership held a series of secret meetings to plot how to perpetrate a money laundering scheme and illegally hide member donations from Washington state voters, in direct violation of campaign disclosure laws.

Unlike the junk food companies that feared consumer backlash, Monsanto hasn't even bothered to hide the more than $4 million the company has given to the "no" campaign. In fact, GMA, Monsanto and a handful of other corporate donors have now broken a state record by pouring more than $17 million into their effort to stop Washington's GMO labeling ballot initiative. . . .

Read more of the article quoted above in Ocean Robbins blog at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ocean-robbins/huge gmo-news_b_4129311.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular. Ocean Robbins is co-author of the book Voices of the Food Revolution, co-host of Food Revolution Network and serves as an adjunct professor at Chapman University.​

Valentijn

A big fight is underway in many states to increase regulation of genetically modified organisms ("GMO"). One of the biggest battles going on right now is in Washington state were an initiative is on the Nov. 5th ballot to require labeling of GMO products.
I just got back from Washington State, where I was visiting family. The commercials (mostly anti-labeling) were pretty hilarious. "I am a small farmer and I oppose labeling, because it doesn't apply to meat!" etc, etc.

Even most of the actors delivering those lines were completely lacking in sincerity. The very people paid to spread the pro-GMO propaganda looked as though they felt like they were doing something morally equivalent to kicking puppies :D