• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bifido and Penicillin

Christopher

Just found this study:
http://jac.oxfordjournals.org/content/55/1/38.full

All strains of bifidobacteria, whatever the species, were sensitive to penicillins: penicillin G, amoxicillin (MIC50 0.06 mg/L), piperacillin, ticarcillin, imipenem and usually anti-Gram-positive antibiotics (macrolides, clindamycin, pristinamycin, vancomycin and teicoplanin).

I know that my mother was administered penicillin in her because she had to carry a message on her keychain that she is allergic to penicillin. I wonder if her "allergy" to penicillin was an effect of some of her bifido dying off? I was a c-section at birth, but breastfed.

Thoughts?

Jon_Tradicionali

Alone & Wandering
It may have been a dramatic reaction by the bacteria to the penicillin which made her 'allergic'. All allergies are in fact bacteria induced after all..

I had a normal birth....normal everything.

Still I am messed up since that mysterious flu at age 4.

The bacteria your mum had at your time of birth were passed on to you. Thats the connection required to make the link.