1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hunting down the cause of ME/CFS & other challenging disorders - Lipkin in London
In a talk to patients in London on 3rd September, Dr. W. Ian Lipkin described the extraordinary lengths he and his team are prepared to go to in order to track down the source of an illness, with examples ranging from autism to the strange case of Kawasaki disease.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bicarbonate of soda - burping test for stomach acid??!

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Spinney Lainey, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Spinney Lainey

Spinney Lainey Senior Member

London
    I was reading a thread, I can't remember which one and someone mentioned doing a 'burping test' to test the strength of stomach acid! Can't find it now, though! Can anyone shed any light on it?

2. Plum

Plum Senior Member

UK
    You can swallow 1/2 teaspoon bicarb with water (it tastes disgusting). If you have stomach acid, you should burp. I had to do this after taking some betaine HCl - think I took too much

Spinney Lainey likes this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Quote from Dr. Rich Van Konynenburg:

Spinney Lainey likes this.
  4. Spinney Lainey

Spinney Lainey Senior Member

London
    Ok, so I failed the test. Can anyone recommend what dosage I should take/any good makes of betaine hcl?

5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    If you are in the US Vitacost's might be the least expensive: http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-betaine-hcl-with-pepsin

I don't think this is one of the supplements where you need to spend a lot to get the quality you need. I take one (650 mgs) with every meal but of course it depends on how alkaline your stomach is. Why not try one and see how that feels. I think you will know if you have taken too much by getting a burning sensation. Some need to take several capsules I believe.

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.