• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bicarb reducing PEM but making me soo sleepy

A few weeks ago I started taking 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda before and after 'exercise' (along with the creatine, BCAAs & whey protein I was already taking), and it has worked amazingly at reducing PEM, especially lactic acid burn/pain. Yay.

However, I've started feeling *really* sleepy/non-functional the next day each time I take it, & especially have increased brain fog & difficulties concentrating. Potassium, vit D, B12 are all accounted for, so...any thoughts?

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

Gosh, I wish I knew. It works great for an allergy in gut or alkaline ph issues. I have no troubles. Are you sure it's the bicarbonate?

jeff_w

A few weeks ago I started taking 1/4 teaspoon of bicarb soda before and after 'exercise'...

However, I've started feeling *really* sleepy/non-functional the next day each time I take it, & especially have increased brain fog & difficulties concentrating.
Could it be that your negative health feelings the next day are due to the "exercise" and not the bicarb soda? In other words, maybe you're actually having PEM, but you're misattributing it to the bicarb.

Gondwanaland

Potassium, vit D, B12 are all accounted for, so...any thoughts?
How about salt? Do you eat enough/more than enough salt with your food? Bicarb lowers blood pressure. I am currently unable to exercise, but take bicarb baths every now and then before going to bed. So if it lowers my BP, it is welcome then.

Seven7

Seven
The one thing of Bicarb is to have empty stomach, because it reduces the stomach acid, so make sure when you do the supplements is not w the bicarb.
Whey could be a culprit try to not do one day and see what happens.
I think we all in CFS go through those sleepy periods. Mine is trigger when I need to reduce medication (LDN usually).

Thanks guys. @Misfit Toy Bicarb's the only thing that's changed and I feel the sleepy/dizzy thing soon after taking it, even if I don't 'exercise'..

@jeff_w Hahah good point.. but I'm not sure. For me PEM is mostly pain, pain, pain, pain, plus fatigue, but this sleepy/dizzy thing feels different to my usual PEM fatigue.

@Gondwanaland Yeah I also have POTS so I try to be pretty on top of BP with midodrine, salt and compression stockings...

I'm wondering if it makes my body too alkaline? I already try to eat a low-acidic diet because my lactate problems are so bad.

But if my body is now too alkaline, it's annoying that it still doesn't allow me to do any walking without PEM. #me/cfslife