Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Biased Study Design--Does this sound familiar?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by leela, Apr 9, 2016.

1. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Interesting, if not depressing, article about how some research gets promoted and other research quashed.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/apr/07/the-sugar-conspiracy-robert-lustig-john-yudkin

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Justin30, MeSci, JaimeS and 5 others like this.
  2. Keela Too

Keela Too Sally Burch

N.Ireland
    Robert Lustig has a video out ... I can't remember the name, but I watched a year or two ago, and the sugar problem made a lot of sense to me then. Still does.

leela likes this.
  3. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Weston A Price foundation has been saying for decades that Saturated fat does not cause heart disease but that one or more things associated with our modern diet and way of life (including sugar, cigarettes, and hydrogenated oils) does. Here is an article from 2001 arguing just this, and it cites Yudkin.

It is frustrating because it's not like cracks only recently showed up in the (formerly?) dominant paradigm; they've been there the whole time. But no one with authority took the time to examine it for something like 60 years. The five years before PACE got dissected is fantastic in comparison.

MeSci, Skippa, leela and 1 other person like this.
  4. valentinelynx

valentinelynx Senior Member

Tucson
    Check out Gary Taubes' book Good Calories Bad Calories - it tells the story in detail of how the Western world has been convinced that saturated fat and cholesterol are bad for you, through deceptive and erroneous research publications. Now entrenched in government policy since the '70s. The amount of health damage done by this is unmeasurable. People are starting to get that sugar is bad, but they still don't get that the whole fat is bad for you idea is wrong also.

It was common knowledge prior to the anti-fat crusade that carbs, then called "starches", made you fat. I remember sometime in the 60's when I was little kid, my mother rather snidely pointing out after we saw a woman we used to know who had gotten fat that "poverty led to her eating too much starch" and that's why she was fat. Not very nice, but probably true, but nowadays we'd blame it on eating too much high fat food. High fat food is harmless if you don't consume it with carbohydrates.

leela and Valentijn like this.
  5. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Seven Countries Study is notorious for cherry-picking information. Lead researcher studied 20+ countries, but removed the ones that disagreed with the hypothesis that increased saturated fat leads to increased heart disease.

That was the study that set the tone for the next fifty years of research. Guy got on the cover of Time, even though he fudged his data in the most unethical possible way.

-J

6. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    I like that there seems to be a growing tide of scientists bravely facing up to shoddy or outdated work. May it continue, so that real science and scientists may flourish!

Keela Too and Jennifer J like this.

See more popular forum discussions.