August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Bias, misleading info. and lack of respect for other views have distorted perceptions of ME/CFS ...

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by hixxy, May 31, 2017.

1. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    Bias, misleading information and lack of respect for alternative views have distorted perceptions of ME/CFS and its treatment

Ellen Goudsmit Sandra Howes
    First Published May 29, 2017 Research Article

Abstract
    The PACE trial is one of the most recent studies evaluating cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome. These interventions are based on a model which assumes that symptoms are perpetuated by factors such as misguided beliefs and a lack of activity. Our analysis indicates that the researchers have shown significant bias in their accounts of the literature and may also have overstated the effectiveness of the above treatments. We submit that their approach to criticisms undermines the scientific process and is inconsistent with best practice.

Keywords
    chronic fatigue syndrome, cognitive behavioural therapy, graded exercise therapy, myalgic encephalomyelitis, pacing

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1359105317707216

atleje, Keela Too, Sean and 20 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

This paper is open access

3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I thought this was pretty good, with a few problems. I disagree with Ellen's views and approaches in some substantial ways, so went in with relatively low expectations (tbh, I was slightly dreading it), but was really pleasently surprised. I think it makes a positive contribution by laying out her position, although it's still not a position I'd agree with a lot of, and there are definitely bits that I think could be used by PACE to distract from the problems with their work. Overall rating is still 'thanks' to Ellen!

4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I don't always see eye to eye with Ellen either, but I thought she made excellent points and I hope they are not ignored by the authors. (The PACE authors need to admit that they constantly mischaracterise the criticism of the PACE trial!!)

5. GreyOwl

GreyOwl Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant

I thought the small explanation on the background to the theory of operant conditioning in ME was helpful. I didn't know, or make the connection, that this view was based on the same theories behind chronic pain.

See more popular forum discussions.