• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bias, misleading info. and lack of respect for other views have distorted perceptions of ME/CFS ...

hixxy

Bias, misleading information and lack of respect for alternative views have distorted perceptions of ME/CFS and its treatment

Ellen Goudsmit Sandra Howes
First Published May 29, 2017 Research Article

Abstract
The PACE trial is one of the most recent studies evaluating cognitive behavioural therapy and graded exercise therapy for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome. These interventions are based on a model which assumes that symptoms are perpetuated by factors such as misguided beliefs and a lack of activity. Our analysis indicates that the researchers have shown significant bias in their accounts of the literature and may also have overstated the effectiveness of the above treatments. We submit that their approach to criticisms undermines the scientific process and is inconsistent with best practice.

Keywords
chronic fatigue syndrome, cognitive behavioural therapy, graded exercise therapy, myalgic encephalomyelitis, pacing

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1359105317707216

I thought this was pretty good, with a few problems. I disagree with Ellen's views and approaches in some substantial ways, so went in with relatively low expectations (tbh, I was slightly dreading it), but was really pleasently surprised. I think it makes a positive contribution by laying out her position, although it's still not a position I'd agree with a lot of, and there are definitely bits that I think could be used by PACE to distract from the problems with their work. Overall rating is still 'thanks' to Ellen!