• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bias (2004) - lists lots of types of bias (open access)

Dolphin

It can be useful to be able to name a bias one is trying to explain. It can mean one has to try less hard to try to explain it and also it can look more impressive (and convincing). So I thought I'd highlight this article.

However, there may be better articles out there that give more examples to better explain the point.

Free full text: http://jech.bmj.com/content/58/8/635.full

J Epidemiol Community Health 2004;58:635-641 doi:10.1136/jech.2003.008466

Continuing professional education

Bias

M Delgado-Rodríguez1, J Llorca2

Abstract

The concept of bias is the lack of internal validity or incorrect assessment of the association between an exposure and an effect in the target population in which the statistic estimated has an expectation that does not equal the true value.

Biases can be classified by the research stage in which they occur or by the direction of change in a estimate.

The most important biases are those produced in the definition and selection of the study population, data collection, and the association between different determinants of an effect in the population.

A definition of the most common biases occurring in these stages is given.