1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Embracing Change - ME and the International Classification of Diseases
The WHO ICD featured recently in an online article (since withdrawn), which heightened patient concern over what might happen when the current ICD-10 is finally revised. N.A.Wright provides a timely summary of this international classification system, considers some of the issues...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

BHT as a antiviral for lipid encapsulated viruses

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by donovank730, Nov 15, 2013.

1. donovank730

donovank730

Does anyone have any experience with BHT as an antiviral? I have been taking it for a couple weeks now and have been experiencing some headaches but I am not able to say much else about it.

I have read some anecdotal reports of people recovering from hep C infection and also someone who said they had a "Lazarus like resurrection" from the CFS symptoms for several months following 2100 mg a day treatment with the substance
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I looked at butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) as a possible antiviral for use with herpes family viruses, such as cytomegalovirus.

However, I came to the conclusion that if you want to play safe, you should not exceed 19 mg of DHT per day, and unfortunately that dose is not really high enough to have any useful antiviral effects.

You can take a higher dose of BHT, in order to boost the antiviral effects, but then there is a safety question mark, as very high doses of BHT can cause liver cancer.

I came to this conclusion as follows:
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  3. undcvr

undcvr Senior Member

NYC
    it depends on whether the virus u want it to work on is lipid coated or not. I think hpv does not have a lipid coat but the herpesviruses do. So it shud only be able to work in the latter not the former.

Delano Report has some good articles on it and guidelines.
    heapsreal likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.