• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BH4 now available in US?

hixxy

I believe that is precisely the dose you need when treating methylation problems. I forget where I read it though !! The recommendation I saw was 2.5mg 3-4 times a day. I do recall some other parts of the methylation cycled needed to be sorted out first though. Once again I can't remember what! :)

I really should bookmark more of this stuff.

hixxy

Certainly keen to hear if anyone has had improvements with BH4 supplementation. I'm certainly nowhere near that stage, but hopefully one day....

Rand56

Yes I also would like to hear anyones experience with taking this, particularly if it's effective for depression. I was unaware of the 4 times a day dosage. I acutally bought some and only took it up to 2 times a day which is said on the label. I only took it for a few days until I stopped because I wanted to give B2 a trial. I didn't want to toss other supps into the mix and then not know which one is having an effect.

If anyone is taking this to possibly help depression, do you know if this is something that should have a more immediate effect <at 4 times per day dose> or would it be like an antidepressant where it could take some time for any postive effect?

determined

I don't know, hixxy. I'm trying to understand all the methylation stuff. It's so complex, and the fact that I get such big effects from such small amounts of mB12 and methylfolate makes me want to proceed with caution. I'd like to hear from others who have tried it.....

hixxy

I'm with you on the methlyb12 and methylfolate. I'm only taking a small bit of methylfolate at the moment. Working up the courage to try introducinf methylb12 again. How are you taking your methylb12? Thing is with BH4, I'd really like to have my neurotransmitters back up and running again! I don't tolerate any kind of anti-depressant.

What we need is a less sensitive guinea pig.

determined

Hixxy, my mB12 dose is extremely small. I open a capsule, tap out the amount that would dust the head of a pin; put it in one cup of water, stir and then I put 1 teaspoon under my tongue (the rest I throw away). For a while, I was less careful about the amount and probably used the amount of powder that would dust the heads of 6 pins....too much, my hands and lower arms got very tingly.

Small dose, but my energy levels are good. So I'm not looking to change.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have a bottle of 25mg BH4 from heartfixer but it has no effect on me and it is $$ so I am saving it for when I have kideny issues (about once a year due to high blood pressure my kidneys stop working, but the ornithine cycle needs BH4 so I consider this part of the recovery process). BiancaS takes 100mg (kuvan) by prescription and thinks it helps her.

What helped me tremendously was 1g/day tyrosine. It makes dopamine (yes requires BH4 but less than phenylalanine). Dopamine is a hppy hormone. It makes me happy.

Trif