• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BH4 - GCH1 Question

Do you have a GCH1 mutation?

• Yes

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
I
off-topic:

Do you have a link to the side effects (fatigue) of selenium? Never heard of that. Very interessting.

I DO BELIEVE ELEVATED SELENIUM IS CONTRIBUTING TO MY FATIGUE BC WHEN I TAKE ANYTHING WITH SELENIUM I FEEL INCREASED CFS SYMPTOMS. I BELIEVE THE ELEVATED SELENIUM IN MY CASE IS A BY-PRODUCT OF EITHER A METHYLATION OR DETOX BLOCK BUT I DON'T KNOW THE HOW, WHERE, WHEN OR WHY YET. ADDING TO THE TOXICITY (ELEVATED SELENIUM IS TOXIC) IN MY SYSTEM IS NOT A GOOD IDEA.

I do also have elevated levels (levels increased after starting treatment), as others described it too in another forum.

The only exlpanation I heared: Selenium bounds with mercury and this compound stays within the cells. When starting successfull detox regime (incl. methylation etc.) the selenium starts to pour out of the cells and is shown in urine tests.

FORTUNATELY I DO NOT HAVE ELEVATED MERCURY ON ANY OF MY BLOOD WORK. I AM ABOUT TO REPLACE MANY CROWNS THAT CONTAIN METAL. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MADE OF BUT I WAS TOLD THEY DID NOT HAVE MERCURY OR TOXIC MATERIALS WHEN THEY WERE PUT IN (I NOW UNDERSTAND THAT IS VERY SUBJECTIVE). MY NEW CROWNS WILL BE ALL PORCELAIN.

This makes sense in my case because I had amalgam fillings and I have elevated mercury levels while detox (DMSA).

But I would be courious if there are other connections/ explanations.

I RECENTLY FOUND I HAVE SEVERAL SNP VARIANCES ON TWO LIVEWELLO REPORTS: "SELENIUM METABOLISM AND SELENOPROTEINS 1" & "SELENIUM METABOLISM 2". WHEN I FIND THE RIGHT DOC(S) TO HELP ME ANALYZE MY DATA, HOPEFULLY EXPLANATIONS & RESOLUTIONS WILL BE FORTHCOMING. FOR NOW I FOCUS ON MY METHYLATION PROTOCOL AND PROGRESS WHILE I CONTINUE ON SEARCHING TO FIND THOSE CUTTING EDGE DOCTOR(S) TO SORT IT OUT :)

Btw. I do supplement selenium because it is in my all-in one capsule but nevertheless the selenium was not high before detox. Others do not suplement selenium at all (as you described too) and still have elevated levels since various treatments.

I HAD AN ALL IN ONE I STOPPED TAKING BC IT WAS RAISING MY SELENIUM LEVELS AND SYMPTOMS.

GOOD LUCK AND BE WELL!

ChrisD

Hope this helps in some way:-

rs3783642 GCH1 A14340G C CT +/-
rs3783641 GCH1 A14404T A AT +/-
rs12147422 GCH1 A30528G C TT -/-
rs4411417 GCH1 A53980G C CT +/-
rs8017210 GCH1 C12707T A AG +/-
rs7147286 GCH1 C15878T A AG +/-
rs8007267 GCH1 C36378991T T CT +/-
rs7492600 GCH1 C37668A T GG -/-
rs998259 GCH1 G19512A T CT +/-