The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Beyond Tired: Is chronic fatigue syndrome a real medical condition? (Neurology Now)

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Dolphin, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Not to be confused with another article in Neurology Now:

Contains comments from:

Simon, Valentijn, rosie26 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I dislike this:

Dr Sabin:
    Evidence is generally from subjective measures. Not much in objective improvements found:
    ---
    Dr Sabin:
    It can also teach people inaccurate thoughts!

snowathlete, Chrisb, mango and 8 others like this.
  3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    The irony that he's recommending CBT to counter "inaccurate" thoughts, when his inaccurate thought about cfs is what needs to be corrected.

Perhaps he should be in CBT therapy?

alkt, jimells, ErdemX and 9 others like this.
  4. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I think there are a few unfortunate lines in this article, but it includes many helpful insights as well. There is much room for improvement, but I think it could be a thousand times worse, and it might help some clinicians as an introduction to CFS. If we think about the horrendous stuff that we've been subjected to in the past, I think this is a major improvement. But there's definitely room for further major improvements.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    mango, Simon, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Do we have any current or former CBT therapists here? Maybe we could market a CBT course to correct false therapist beliefs? It doesn't even have to be real, though if it were it would be even more ironic and useful.

alkt, snowathlete, mango and 9 others like this.
  6. ScottTriGuy

Toronto, Canada
    Oh, I like where your going - some clever person can whip up a website and tweeter and start spreading the word - one of those late night comedians should pick up on it.

alkt, barbc56, alex3619 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Does anyone else find this extremely offensive? A lifestyle? :bang-head:

Michelle, alkt, justy and 21 others like this.
  8. ScottTriGuy

Toronto, Canada
    It's important to avoid making the disease a lifestyle, he says.

Yeah, like those people living the MS lifestyle (pink font!)

alkt, justy, ErdemX and 8 others like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Yes. Insensitive, careless, over the top, deceptive, and yes, offensive. It needs to be highly qualified and explained, at best.

I think this rests on the unproven concept, which has failed very badly so far, that how we cope with the disease perpetuates it, and especially that it is some variant of psychosomatic. However something else might have been meant.

"Lifestyle choices" is something that has become an excuse to denigrate people in society. Sure there are lifestyle "choices" that are nearly all negative, such as severe drug abuse or alcoholism. Therefore other choices people make are always bad? Yet this ignores that many become addicted to drugs due to medical prescription, plus other things. It ignores that people in pain cannot get some of these drugs due to dogmatic restrictions. It ignores that sometimes people find solace in alcohol after terrible ordeals and no psychological support.

Lets take overweight for example. There are hundreds of factors in gaining weight. Only some are lifestyle choices. One of the most damaging lifestyle choices here is probably following the government recommendations on diet for the last four decades. Its almost out of a "how to gain weight fast" booklet. So many factors are simply not understood as well. Why do lab animals, on strict and limited diets, keep gaining weight decade after decade? How many permitted additives, or medically prescribed drugs, have weight gain as a side effect? Why is it that many who are overweight eat much less than their normal weight peers? Its not simple, and we do not yet understand all the factors involved.

Michelle, alkt, snowathlete and 13 others like this.
  10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, I had a 'WTF' moment when I read that! It's utterly ridiculous.
    Like, we enjoy being in intense pain and unable to move, or use our brains, so much that we choose it as a lifestyle! Really?!
    Utter ignorance!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    alkt, justy, snowathlete and 12 others like this.
  11. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Extremely offensive. Oh how I wish I could forget about all this nonsense and simply choose a different "lifestyle".

alkt, snowathlete, Debbie23 and 11 others like this.
  12. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Exactly! To me, a lifestyle choice is something you do for fun. Like the way you choose to dress, or what style of activities you engage in over the weekend (e.g. hiking vs. a posh party), or even going to live out in a cabin in the wilderness even though you have enough money to buy yourself a nice flat. Illness or other truly unpleasant situations can't be lifestyle choices. Nobody chooses to suffer.

alkt, jimells, Debbie23 and 7 others like this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

The lifestyle comment just demonstrates how out of touch these people are. They have literally no idea what this illness actually means. Baby steps and all.

alkt, Debbie23, mango and 8 others like this.
  14. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    "I'm not going to live the Alzheimer's lifestyle anymore. I'll still forget things all the time, but I'll do some gradual memory training exercises, and I will stop caring about being forgetful. This will make me less forgetful." No one would ever say that. But for me/cfs it seems to be totally acceptable. :aghhh::vomit:

Michelle, alkt, Debbie23 and 15 others like this.
  15. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Imagine if he'd said that cancer can be a lifestyle choice. He'd be disowned by the medical profession. But apparently it's OK for a patient population who can't rely on the media to defend them. It's actually a very good example of the prejudice we experience and the way we are denigrated, and also the stigma that certain factions of the medical profession like to project upon us. (It's such an good example, perhaps it could be highlighted in a letter to the journal.)

alkt, snowathlete, mango and 10 others like this.
  16. JayBO

JayBO

Sad and discouraging that this is the general state of knowledge regarding CFS, primitive quasi-medical information that ignores any current research on immune dysfunctions and other underlying medical causes. Obviously this is a poorly researched blog or column and not a scholarly article by any means. Unfortunately it continues to give people the wrong impression about this illness. That is why it's so important to find doctors who are sensitive to such issues, and can be harmful to discuss one's symptoms with those who are not.

alkt, Effi, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  17. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssss..... *he says like Jeremy Paxman*

and having your nuts whacked of by a psychopath would also be a "life style choice" then, hm?
    varys game of thrones.jpg

Varys is right, you know.

Where do they find these assbags: "Meth-swamp-ville", "Nutlicker College", or perhaps they are part of the Mengele Fan Club!? :p

alkt and JaimeS like this.
  18. Aurator

Aurator Senior Member

Indeed. And a lifestyle is exactly what the decades-long failure by governments and healthcare systems to take ME/CFS seriously has inevitably made the disease into for so many patients; a lifestyle they've had forced upon them and don't want. The irony is surely lost on Dr Sabin.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    alkt, jimells, Chrisb and 5 others like this.
  19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggghhh!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

alkt, Aurator, mango and 1 other person like this.
  20. SOC

SOC

It's important to avoid making ignorance and smug dismissiveness a lifestyle, I say.

alkt, Aurator, worldbackwards and 8 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.