• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Beyond 23 & Me Testing

caledonia

I'm interested to understand what this term deranged mineral transport means, and how its measured. When I did these two hair mineral analysis tests (which included all the toxic metals) spaced apart by 6-9 months I revisited the 2nd results looking for the change in the metals (not their pure magnitude). Is this change whats referred to as the deranged mineral transport????

With regard to chlorella and cilantro being weak I suspected that to be the case compared to DMPS etc. but even if thats the case, wouldn't DMPS do the same thing you suggest Cilantro/chlorella to be doing. That is, chelating it into mainstream circulation where it simply goes to another location. If not can you explain how DMPS chelates differently?? Doesn't the Chlorella help absorb/bind up the now released toxic metals??
I should point out that I also took Turmeric and lots of sulfur containing foods so that once chelated the toxic metals (if indeed there were any) would be bound up for excretion rather than re-deposited...

Thanks for the link to the cutlersuccessstories - I'll bookmark it pending my OAT results that might tie a few things together...

Regards

Journeyman

I assume you took the Doctors Data hair test or something similar.

With the Doctors Data hair test, there are two tests. One is just toxic metals, called the Hair Toxic Exposure Test. The other one is the toxic metals plus minerals. It's called the Hair Elements Test.

Then you look at the minerals section and use Cutler's counting rules to see if the mineral levels are normal or screwed up.

Mercury screws up mineral levels. So if the mineral levels are screwed up that means mercury is present.

Even if mercury in the metals section is low (as will often be the case).

Why cilantro and chlorella aren't good chelators:
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

True chelators are identified by the presence of two thiol groups. Many health practitioners use compounds such as chlorella, cysteine, NAC and glutathione, which are not true chelators in the chemical sense, as they do not contain two or more binding groups (dithiol groups). Instead, they contain only one thiol group making them ineffectual chelators, with the capacity to simply move metals around, and cause more problems. These compounds can make matters worse by causing redistributing stored metals – by mobilizing them from their storage sites, but failing to bind and excrete them. This is like stirring up a hornets nest.

Journeyman

I assume you took the Doctors Data hair test or something similar.

With the Doctors Data hair test, there are two tests. One is just toxic metals, called the Hair Toxic Exposure Test. The other one is the toxic metals plus minerals. It's called the Hair Elements Test.

Then you look at the minerals section and use Cutler's counting rules to see if the mineral levels are normal or screwed up.

Mercury screws up mineral levels. So if the mineral levels are screwed up that means mercury is present.

Even if mercury in the metals section is low (as will often be the case).

Why cilantro and chlorella aren't good chelators:
http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

I think I know what you're getting at.... I did my tests through a university lab which actually had an extremely diverse range of both the standard minerals (potassium, calcium etc.) and the full range of toxic metals so it would be equivalent to that Hair Elements Test you refer to...

I've also taken a look at the link provided re: why cilantro and chlorella aren't good chelators. As I read on I couldn't help but notice where he refers to the value of ALA, and that it can be used on its own to chelate mercury (without the need for DMPS etc.) and he talks about mercury toxic individuals needing to take less than 6gm at a time.

As a person whose religiously followed a methylation protocol with all the key ingredients (Methyl B12, 5-MTHF, L Carnitine and _at least_ 300mg of sustained release ALA per day) for 3 years I think its safe to say I don't have mercury toxicity else I would have noticed some pretty severe side effects at that ALA dosage....

So when the term 'deranged mineral transport' is used its referring to that scenario where the presence of toxic metals is influencing the levels of the normal minerals such as Potassium and Calcium right? Where, for example, high calcium and low potassium is often an indicator of toxicity (and a slow oxidation body state)??

You know I do wonder whether many of us actually have fully chelated, but due to sedentary lifestyle habits our HMA patterns remain with the prime lows (potassium, sodium etc.) because we haven't strengthened our bodies post chelation. That is, we haven't changed our lifestyles to engage in the vigorous exercise or other adrenal gland building activities that would for example get aldosterone levels raised so that we can retain salt and thus promote higher potassium later in the cycle upon food consumption...

Journeyman

How quick are Great Plains Labs at issuing a kit once ordered? Given the steep courier fee ($75?) I'd like to think that even coming from America the kit should be here within 4-5 days after ordering? Does anyone have any experience on the timeframe having ordered it from Australia (Sydney) ???

Right now I've been trying to order it and keep getting an error 404 type message when I follow the appropriate links for ordering from my country:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@healthlinkpartners.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.31 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.31 OpenSSL/1.0.1e-fips DAV/2 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_fcgid/2.3.9 Server at healthlinkpartners.com Port 443

I've emailed both customerservice@gpl4u.com and that link given in the error msg but no reply from either (has only been 5 hours mind you) but I'm a little worried now as I've got a medication that I've been eagerly looking to start ASAP before going away for Xmas, but I only wanted to commence it after submitting my sample (Apparently this kind of medication can disrupt gut bacteria which are a measure of the OAT)

So frustrating...

caledonia

I think I know what you're getting at.... I did my tests through a university lab which actually had an extremely diverse range of both the standard minerals (potassium, calcium etc.) and the full range of toxic metals so it would be equivalent to that Hair Elements Test you refer to...

I've also taken a look at the link provided re: why cilantro and chlorella aren't good chelators. As I read on I couldn't help but notice where he refers to the value of ALA, and that it can be used on its own to chelate mercury (without the need for DMPS etc.) and he talks about mercury toxic individuals needing to take less than 6gm at a time.

As a person whose religiously followed a methylation protocol with all the key ingredients (Methyl B12, 5-MTHF, L Carnitine and _at least_ 300mg of sustained release ALA per day) for 3 years I think its safe to say I don't have mercury toxicity else I would have noticed some pretty severe side effects at that ALA dosage....

So when the term 'deranged mineral transport' is used its referring to that scenario where the presence of toxic metals is influencing the levels of the normal minerals such as Potassium and Calcium right? Where, for example, high calcium and low potassium is often an indicator of toxicity (and a slow oxidation body state)??

You know I do wonder whether many of us actually have fully chelated, but due to sedentary lifestyle habits our HMA patterns remain with the prime lows (potassium, sodium etc.) because we haven't strengthened our bodies post chelation. That is, we haven't changed our lifestyles to engage in the vigorous exercise or other adrenal gland building activities that would for example get aldosterone levels raised so that we can retain salt and thus promote higher potassium later in the cycle upon food consumption...

Any of the minerals can be deranged. What you look for is an overall pattern of are how many of them low, how many of them high, and there are some other patterns. These are spelled out in Cutler's counting rules.

The calcium to potassium ratio can show if you're a fast or slow metabolizer. For example, my ratio is small - I'm a fast metabolizer and I need to chelate every 2 hours or I get redistribution symptoms.

If you did a bunch of ALA without repercussions, that still doesn't rule out other metals, such as lead. You need to take DMSA to get lead out of the bones.

At any rate, it sounds like the tests you took could be interpreted with Cutler's counting rules if you wished to do so.

Journeyman

Hey Caledonia,

I had high calcium, low potassium and low sodium meaning I was very much a slow oxidiser. Just out of interest, did you ever get HMA results before you started mega dosing potassium (seems to come with the territory of being on methylation protocols) and if so were you a fast oxidiser then as well?

Cheers

Journeyman

Journeyman

Yes - must be a problem with their website. Hopefully they'll fix it shortly. They usually answer emails pretty promptly.
Well I ordered it on Wednesday morning after messaging customer service about their website problem. They seemed to fix it quite quickly, however even though I followed up with another email confirming the urgency of the order it only appears to have been despatched on Friday afternoon with the FedEx tracking advising that it only left their facility at 8pm Friday :/

The FedEx system also then reports that the delivery is scheduled for 23/12 and gives me links to reschedule if this time is unsuitable. I'm getting it delivered to a PO Box so I'm not too worried about rescheduling but I'd like to think its possible that it might be delivered by say Tuesday the 20/12 so that I can submit the return specimen before I travel soon after.... any experiences with the FedEx system...? If it says its scheduled for 23/12 is that pretty definite given your experience with them? Anyone??

PS - it ended up being $435 or so which must be due to the exchange rate.... ouch

caledonia

Hey Caledonia,

I had high calcium, low potassium and low sodium meaning I was very much a slow oxidiser. Just out of interest, did you ever get HMA results before you started mega dosing potassium (seems to come with the territory of being on methylation protocols) and if so were you a fast oxidiser then as well?

Cheers

Journeyman

No, but this is interesting - I was taking 3000mg potassium for about 4 years. Around the time I got into chelation and was trying my first round, my need for potassium reduced to 50mg. I had to spend a month or so getting my magnesium and potassium levels readjusted before I could continue with chelation.

ps. if you want me to see your posts, either quote one of my messages, or tag me like this @caledonia, so I get an alert.

alicec

If it says its scheduled for 23/12 is that pretty definite given your experience with them?

Yes.

Even if they delivered earlier your schedule is not likely to work. GPL says to ship by Wednesday to ensure the sample does not arrive at the lab on the weekend when no-one is available to receive. Personally I don't have that much confidence in shipping and customs, I ship Monday or Tuesday.